• Possibly/undiagnosed

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • That's... that's a very personal question

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 3373

Hello. As I'm sure many of you are aware communities like this are heavily associated with Autism Spectrum disorder. I'm starting this thread for research purposes and hope that it does not turn into a commiseration thread. You may also use this thread to talk about the topic and your own personal experiences with it.

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Possibly, I have traits associated with the 'tism like poor eye contact, and hyperfocus on particular obsessions and interests. Thing is, I'm deaf so I already get disability welfare money that you'd normally get for autism, so there's no material benefit to a diagnosis. The only thing it'd give is a diagnosis that I can then use either to describe my behaviours, deflect responsibility and some mental assurance that I'm not lying to myself about autism(but even doctors are prone to errors) - but in all those cases it's just take responsibility for your actions, and be honest with yourself because yourself is the easiest person to fool

Virtual Cafe Awards
When I was a teenager a therapist recommended to my parents that I be tested for autism, and my parents didn't think it made a difference whether I was or wasn't autistic, so I didn't get tested, but they did feel it was a plausible at least.

Even if I qualified though I'd be "high functioning," and so I don't get what difference the diagnosis would make. I'm the same person either way and I wouldn't live my life any differently.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ECHETLAEUS

GLOBALISTS HAVE THE POWER, BUT GOD THE FINAL WORD
Reaction score
Awards
By having 1 or 2 characteristics of autism doesnt mean youre autistic. There are thousands of disorders that share some symptoms. I believe that depression leads to a weaker brain combined with anxiety-fears and sadness and this is a perfect recipe to create a chain of many other symptoms as a result and a disorder has already created.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Itubaino

A moment of bliss isn't enough for a lifetime
Reaction score
Awards
Even though I have one or two characteristics of autism I really don't think I am, besides that, my younger brother is medically diagnosed in the ASD and it's really really hard, my parents are separated and I go to my father's house to visit him twice a month but always there's several fights and arguments between them for my brother's "misbehavior", he also has nasal hypersensitivity that makes him sniff me constantly and it's difficult to teach him how to play with other kids, I personally try my best to understand his condition and empathize with him doesn't seem the case with his parents and its sad to see it, my theory is that they should treat him as a neurotipic kid and try to make him comprehend social norms instead of isolating him from other people(even my relatives) like my stepmother does cause it aint working as planned by them

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I voted no because I do not believe I have autism. Throughout all of high school people have repeatedly said or implied that I did have autism. One woman once asked my mother what it was like having a son with autism, she said 'He doesn't have autism'. Another time I was sixteen in dance class doing improv (long story how I got there) and I was of course struggling. The teacher saw me, came over and said I should "think about it mathematically". I'm pretty sure she said that because she thought I had autism. Those are just a couple of such experiences, but I heard it often, which made me think I did have autism for a while, but at some point I just decided "No I dont, why should I care if I do anyway?" I've since discovered that the problem was not my social skills, but that I just don't 'get on' with other people easily.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Wait is bad eye contact autism thing? I find it difficult to look people in the eye when I talk to them. It got pretty bad in HS, especially talking to people who had blue or green eyes. Their eyes made me feel like I was looking at a ghost for some reason.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

Wait is bad eye contact autism thing? I find it difficult to look people in the eye when I talk to them. It got pretty bad in HS, especially talking to people who had blue or green eyes. Their eyes made me feel like I was looking at a ghost for some reason.
Eye contact problems are often associated with Autism, yes. Although it has improved for me since my teens.

Deleted member 3373

Shitposting aside, I doubt any self-diagnosed autist be real unless they are experiencing hyper sensitivity for real (including me, I admit).

I mean I have sensitivities around ambulance sirens and diesel engines (gotta cover my ears for both of those) but that's really it. I also used to struggle with vaccum cleaners but I got used to that.

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
Well, I did exhibit a few symptoms as a child that can overlap with the diagnosis of autism, such as echolalia and palilalia (repeating phrases from yourself or others). There were also periods in my childhood (generally later on, more likely related to trauma than intrinsic communication difficulty), where I did find it sometimes difficult to communicate with others in certain situations. I highly doubt a child would have gotten diagnosed with autism in the 80s though if they weren't far along the spectrum for it though. I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I'd say ADHD is likely more fitting as a diagnosis were I to receive one, as I do get rather obsessive with interests and find it difficult to focus on that which I am not passionate about. I don't think autism applies in my case, given that I am actually quite astute in regards to reading other people's emotional states. I'm very aware of what is socially appropriate, and good at navigating nearly every social situation. I'm quite aware of my own complex soup of feelings as well, and am always able to determine why I feel the way I do about any given thing (or think I do anyway, I'm sure I'm wrong sometimes).

I am a weird dude though, and though I am quite good at talking to anyone, it did take some time growing up to become skilled at this. I tend to not rant excessively to most people about my various passions to others, for example, because they generally don't care. If I sense that they will be ok with it, I'll open up more, and etc... All social interactions I undertake, I'm trying to read the room and adapt my behavior accordingly. It's something that happens at a subconscious level at this point.

Being here is kind of nice though. I am really able to express certain facets of myself that are generally more muted in most social interactions I have in real life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I have voted yes due to the fact that I have been diagnosed as such, though I do not agree with this diagnosis.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I have voted yes due to the fact that I have been diagnosed as such, though I do not agree with this diagnosis.
Why dont you agree with the diagnosis?

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Most of my symptoms are better accounted for by other issues, mostly anxiety-related.
Interesting. Idk, I've been told autism makes you more prone to anxiety. That certainly is the case with me, autists have a harder time dealing with stress, it doesn't help we get stressed out more easily

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting. Idk, I've been told autism makes you more prone to anxiety. That certainly is the case with me, autists have a harder time dealing with stress, it doesn't help we get stressed out more easily
I mean, I've started agreeing with the diagnosis a little more (especially due to sensory issues) so maybe in a while I'll feel differently about it, but my parents both have a bunch of different mental issues between them so it feels like I've either inherited stuff from them or developed further issues as a result of my life circumstances.
If you'd asked me a month ago I would have said there's no way I'm an autist, now I'm not sure...

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
One woman once asked my mother what it was like having a son with autism, she said 'He doesn't have autism'.
This sentence makes me nostalgic for old /r9k/.
I've started agreeing with the diagnosis a little more (especially due to sensory issues) so maybe in a while I'll feel differently about it
I wouldn't fixate on it too much, it doesn't change anything either way. That being said fixation is an autistic trait :^)

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Just agree with the diagnosis and claim your autismbux :gigachad:
Are autismbux actually a thing in the US? Here nobody gives a shit if you're autistic. They might give you extra time in exams or projects but that's about it

Virtual Cafe Awards