The cyberpunk you deserve, not the one you want. Your eye implant company went out of business

Turns out some people had their vision restored by a vision implant recently. It's not super amazing, but it does work. Unfortunately, the company that promised them updates to their eye implants went out of business and now they neither have the update nor product support. If their hardware fails they return to being blind.

This isn't the cyberpunk you dreamed of, but instead the one we all deserve. Your heart implant manufacturer gets bought out or goes bankrupt, now you are screwed.

Everyone imagined this technological utopia if flying cars and robots. Ha. Planned obsolescence means all your perfectly good hardware quickly becomes garbage.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
This isn't the cyberpunk you dreamed of, but instead the one we all deserve.

Everyone imagined this technological utopia if flying cars and robots. Ha. Planned obsolescence means all your perfectly good hardware quickly becomes garbage.
Cyberpunk was always a dystopian vision of the future, it's just romanticised by people who like the aesthetic. You actually want to live in bladerunner, or GITS? didn't think so

Virtual Cafe Awards
Cyberpunk was always a dystopian vision of the future, it's just romanticised by people who like the aesthetic. You actually want to live in bladerunner, or GITS? didn't think so
I'd go live as an Amish with bidets, soap, and a singular computer if they weren't so hostile to outsiders.

Everything else they do is otherwise really nice. Except they already use a lot of machinery and don't drink.

Also, I once almost got into a fight with the Amish in Ohio. I still have a score to settle with them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I'd go live as an Amish with bidets, soap, and a singular computer if they weren't so hostile to outsiders.

Everything else they do is otherwise really nice. Except they already use a lot of machinery and don't drink.

Also, I once almost got into a fight with the Amish in Ohio. I still have a score to settle with them.
Just start your own Amish enclave.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, this sucks, but I just love playing devil's advocate so I can't help but point out the flip-side:
If said companies never existed in the first place you would have just stayed blind, or not gotten a heart implant at all.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Makadam

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Flying cars? You've got to think bigger. Having your mind uploaded to the cloud to achieve immortality but then the company puts out an update that breaks it, or a server temporarily goes down, and suddenly the PR department is explaining to the public how their users have actually fully transcended reality. Or better yet, the Ghana cybercartels kidnapping cloud people and making them work in their bitcoin mines. Can't even try them at Al-Haague's court since no convention on the rights of electric pulses has been drawn up yet and they can also just run a magnet over the hard drives and kill everyone.
You're put in cryosleep but the power goes out for a bit and since you didn't apply for the premium program, they just put you back in soggy like a box of chicken nuggets that's been left out too long when cleaning the freezer.
Most of your (cybernetic) body shuts down by ransomware and you have to use your eyelashes to mail out the ransom, hoping the hackers revert control back to you before the colostomy cybernetic breaks and overflows into your other systems.
The whole neighbourhood around grandma's home turned to glass because grandma forgot to unplug the charger for her nanosuit from the outlet and it overheated.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards

One of my best friends grew up in Indiana next to a large Amish community, where the youth threw "barn parties" nearly every weekend. The only drink served was Jack Daniels in red solo cups. He said they were some the wildest parties he's ever been to.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

>Install booster update for your augmentations
>They go haywire and make you go insane
ah, a world of endless possibilities.

maxresdefault.jpg

xdsoftware

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
That is just screwed up on so many levels and presents very troubling implications for our future. It really reminds me of the drug Neuropozine in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where anyone who had a implant has to take it unless they want to have their implants be rejected by their bodies. Except this time, it's not biological but this time you effectively selling your bodies to a corporation who can turn it off at any time.

1645045756136.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

nobodyhere

That is just screwed up on so many levels and presents very troubling implications for our future. It really reminds me of the drug Neuropozine in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where anyone who had a implant has to take it unless they want to have their implants be rejected by their bodies. Except this time, it's not biological but this time you effectively selling your bodies to a corporation who can turn it off at any time.

View attachment 18561
We've been doing this for the past ten years with big data and product licenses. You will own nothing and you will be happy.