The dangers of minimalism

Reaction score
Awards
Minimalist art style with symbols seems unbiased, objective, and truthful, so you are more likely to see it as authoritative.

sign.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
Tbh I very much agree with your perspective. I find minimalist stuff depressing, soulless, cold, and devoid of identity. In my town people paint their houses in these pukeworthy shades of grey when the architecture is totally unfit for that too. My mother and I are looking to move into a new house and we visited one of these new made social housings. The interior is basically the same in every of these: black/grey tiled flooring, white roughcast everywhere on the walls. Basically you can't even put linoleum or wallpaper to hide the suck: you're stuck with this disgusting white and grey colour scheme. We have found a 1960s/70s era apartment since and hope to be chosen by the landlady as the new tenants.

I had no idea that it could be a propaganda thing but now that I think of it, that makes sense. We are more and more pushed towards a society of uniformity, and this is extremely scary. Your post just made me think that maybe, this monochrome colour scheme is also meant to strip off our feelings of happiness. Colours have an effect on how we feel, so do our surroundings and the places we live in. If we live in a mostly colorless area, this says volumes imo, and can depress us pretty quick. Here in my town new social housing is being built and I noticed black blinds/doors are very much in fashion.. BLERGH, WHEN DID IT EVER LOOK GOOD? White or wooden coloured blinds are much better. And I noticed that these buildings are sometimes built right next, or in the vicinity of older ones... which makes for a pretty weird contrast.

I'd rather live in a commie block rather than one of these monstrosities, because commie blocks at least have beautiful wallpapers and floors. Not just plain black and white. Urgh. It bothers me even more as an artistic minded person.
Lemme just add i used to live in colombia with my grandma and the vibe for me there was always much happier, its a bit urban there but it is so infused with the environment, mainy different unique looking buildings . Idk it def added something to how i experienced the world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
Sorry for "this thread again"

I recently saw this twitter thread (>tfw using big tech) talking about minimalism in modern society, and how it's basically sucked the identity and soul out of everything

I have noticed an absolute plague of minimalist design in my city too, it really sucks to see everything is becoming an overly simplified hellhole with a lack of identity.

Personally I think they do it on purpose. Minimalist design is a form of propaganda. The message is clear: In much the same way as your city is designed to conform, not have an identity, and not express itself, you are expected to do the same thing. I definitely feel like they are trying to foster a mindset of compliance and foster an entire population to not have any sort of identity at all, that way they can easily be shaped into mindless consumers and worker drones. It's easy to mindlessly wander against a backdrop of identity-less stuff that simply exists, with no interaction whatsoever. Minimalism isn't just ugly and soulless, it's actively harmful and it needs to be stopped.

Personally I feel this is part of post-modernism expressing itself, which in itself is a form of propaganda. When every opinion is equally valid, why bother making anything good?

What are your thoughts on minimalism? Do you have any "favourite" infamous examples of minimalism going way too far?
Agreed ! That shit is ugly...why are they using minimalism anyways? Is it because of it being close to liminal space design? Actually yeah It may be the actual reason why alot of people use minimalism. I dont quite know though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website