The Deep Sea "Black Carpet" unknown creature discussion Thread

• Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3837 times.

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
These are stories from DiverAnon discussing potential biological origins of the bloop or other unidentified sea sounds, the black carpet, and generally just what bizarre organisms may still be lurking undiscovered. It'll be a long time before the sea gives up all it's mysteries after all.

This thread is for the discussion on this post

Attachments

• giphy-3.gif
    giphy-3.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,883
Virtual Cafe Awards

bubblebass

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
After reading through the entire story, there is one thing I'm curious about. At the end, the reposter claims that the origin of the bloop "was previously so widely assumed to be biological in origin". I don't get this, do they mean assumed by scientists or the public? There is also a reason that people would assume its biological, that being that a giant sea creature is much more alluring to people than simply an icequake. That's just what I think at least.

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
After reading through the entire story, there is one thing I'm curious about. At the end, the reposter claims that the origin of the bloop "was previously so widely assumed to be biological in origin". I don't get this, do they mean assumed by scientists or the public? There is also a reason that people would assume its biological, that being that a giant sea creature is much more alluring to people than simply an icequake. That's just what I think at least.
I think it means that it was assumed by scientists and people that are in these types of social groups like divers. This is an written by a anonymous user but ita a hell of a read

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

This reminds me of the giant pyrosome a lot. There was a 60ft long one found a while ago, and about three years ago they gained a lot of traction because divers in New Zealand got modern video footage of one that was 26ft long and wide enough to fit a human inside. People don't see them very often for what ever reason but they're huge, colonial organisms. Here's a video of and about the New Zealand one

Here's Oceana's take on it

And here's a stressful tidbit from an Australian researcher who encountered one: Do not swim inside a pyrosome. While they are said to be quite soft, K Gowlett-Holmes reports finding a 2 meter (~ 6.5 ft long) pyrosome with a dead penguin trapped inside. K Gowlett-Holmes writes in a comment below: "The penguin had obviously swum in the open end of the tube then couldn't turn – it was jammed in the apex of the pyrosome and its beak was just poking through the colony matrix. Even fairy penguins are quite strong – the fact it could not break free shows just how tough some pyrosomes are"

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
It wouldn't surprise me if there is something akin to what the greentext story is describing down there. The ocean is still probably the most alien thing in existence, and the fact that humans have placed stress on its biomes may have contributed to the development or the exposure of something that we only described in ancient myths.

The Black Carpet is a truly fascinating story since I still listen to the thread video that Chasseur put out some time ago, and every time I think about the possibilities of such a creature, I have to wonder how it's able to act like it does (a hivemind colony/siphonophore) and yet still remain dynamic enough to move at speeds that allow it to evade capture and detection.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

It wouldn't surprise me if there is something akin to what the greentext story is describing down there. The ocean is still probably the most alien thing in existence, and the fact that humans have placed stress on its biomes may have contributed to the development or the exposure of something that we only described in ancient myths.

The Black Carpet is a truly fascinating story since I still listen to the thread video that Chasseur put out some time ago, and every time I think about the possibilities of such a creature, I have to wonder how it's able to act like it does (a hivemind colony/siphonophore) and yet still remain dynamic enough to move at speeds that allow it to evade capture and detection.
It might be kinda surprising but the ocean's so big and siphonophores so spread out that we just kind of randomly find new ones, so it's not unlikely that there's big ones we haven't detected at all. There's one that's 160ft/4877cm long that we only found like, 5 years ago and we hardly ever see them even though they don't move much because there's just not a lot of that specific type in that stage of maturity. People are theorizing that they can elongate pretty much forever because they're colonial.
There's some siphonophores that achieve dummy high speeds and wikipedia for once has a good explanation of how.

Duobrachium sparksae

Not too long ago, a Metroid-like animal was found not too far from where I live. I honestly have never imagined of a Jelly that could look just like a plastic bag and this one wins prize for the concept.
imaged.jpeg

images.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Guijit

So the black carpet is potentially real? That's insane to think about. My skeptism comes from the fact that from the story it makes it seem like the thing could paralize a human and an orca, but I have never heard of a pyrosome having that ability. Manowars, and jelly's sure.

There is literally anything in the ocean. We've explored space more than we have the oceans. Because space is far more sexy and alluring than anything inside the oceans.

Some rumors out there say that there are aliens inside of the ocean, though if they are really from the ocean they aren't really aliens per se.

Especially some of those deep sea areas are literally like alien worlds and are often used as an example of areas where alien life may exist in similar conditions in space.

Virtual Cafe Awards