• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

The definition of Anime

• Thread starter Yabba
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 560 times.

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
What do you think is the definition of Anime, and why do you think this way?

For me, Anime is just animated media largely made in Japan. Meaning that animated media inspired by Anime such as Avatar the Last Airbender, Thundercats, and Kappa Mikey, are not Anime.

Anyway, what do you think?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Any thread trying to define what anime is would always end up being an autistic battle between weebs and anti-weebs so I don't think it's a good idea. I doubt if anyone would actually care about the issue outside the two aforementioned groups as well.

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Any thread trying to define what anime is would always end up being an autistic battle between weebs and anti-weebs so I don't think it's a good idea. I doubt if anyone would actually care about the issue outside the two aforementioned groups as well.
Why do you think so?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Why do you think so?
I don't really think anyone else would care about what cartoon from whatever country shoulde be called outside legit autists tbh. I would rather have another tranny thread, at least those are relevant.

vect0r

If one were to define Anime being simply a general art style, then Western-produced series like Prisoner Zero ( its art style was influenced by Anime ) would also be considered Anime on an equal level to that of Lucky Star or Terra E. In my opinion, that is completely absurd. I would define Anime as a combination of mostly Japanese art styles and cultural/story tropes, though it isn't strictly cultural because of shows like Cowboy Bebop and maybe Jojo.
I believe the best way to categorize Anime is to have any "Anime-style" Anime produced in to Japan remain being called "Anime". While if it's produced elsewhere, it should be prefixed with the region of the world it was created in (E.g, Anime produced in US or any other western country should be "Western-Anime". If it were instead produced in a country like Russia or Türkiye, it should be "Eastern-Anime").

It's a good categorizing method because it makes it clear to the reader or listener where it was produced and to discern it from Anime if it wasn't created in Japan, which can sometimes important. I also realize that this may be a bait thread, but I think this could lead to good discussion.

Anime is animation shortened soo if something is animation, it is anime. The only reason people obsess over anime vs cartoon is because if people start calling anime cartoon, weebs will think their personality is taken away from them as most weebs don't have any other hobbies. If you genuinely believe watching japanese cartoons made for mentally unstable adults and teens is a important part of you, i suggest you try any creative hobby that has no connection to anime.

Also the western eastern difference of studios aren't as deep as people think, most "western anime" has asian studios or artists working in them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
If one were to define Anime being simply a general art style, then Western-produced series like Prisoner Zero ( its art style was influenced by Anime ) would also be considered Anime on an equal level to that of Lucky Star or Terra E. In my opinion, that is completely absurd. I would define Anime as a combination of mostly Japanese art styles and cultural/story tropes, though it isn't strictly cultural because of shows like Cowboy Bebop and maybe Jojo.
I believe the best way to categorize Anime is to have any "Anime-style" Anime produced in to Japan remain being called "Anime". While if it's produced elsewhere, it should be prefixed with the region of the world it was created in (E.g, Anime produced in US or any other western country should be "Western-Anime". If it were instead produced in a country like Russia or Türkiye, it should be "Eastern-Anime").

It's a good categorizing method because it makes it clear to the reader or listener where it was produced and to discern it from Anime if it wasn't created in Japan, which can sometimes important. I also realize that this may be a bait thread, but I think this could lead to good discussion.
Wikipedia backs you up.
81C7DA53-F68C-4BA0-9E40-DBD8D5F34619.jpeg

I don't think there's an actual right answer to define the word anime, since words are defined by how people use them. Like, I have never met anyone who calls korean or chinese animation something other than anime, and honestly its not like they're wrong, because such animation usually looks identical to japanese anime.

In my experience western people generally use the word to refer to the "anime art style", or any animation that comes out from an east asian country.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I use the classification introduced in Italy by Mediaset in the 80s when it started airing shows like Saint Seya (I Cavalieri dello Zodiaco) and Lady Oscar: everything is cartone animato, no matter the origin, no matter the target audience.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Once upon a time...series tho, collab, so is it - isnt it?
XD

Virtual Cafe Awards