The Dream Thread

• Thread starter Jade
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1849 times.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Post dreams you've had and interpretations, if you know how.
I was inspired to make this thread after a bizarre dream I had a few weeks ago. After waking up I struggled groggily to write down everything I could before I forgot it. I've looked through it frequently since then and I am convinced it means something. Anyone here know anything about dream interpretations?

Here is the unedited paragraph of rambling from my dazed half-awake state:
dream I'm a girl with an abusive home life. at a young age my older sister (teenager or middle school) playsa cruel game with me where she treis various ways to get me in trouble. One was called "peel all the stickers off everything in the house". This time I eventually figured out what was up and tried to tell on her, but somehow the mom endedu p getting dragged to my school and having to take an exam like the students

later in middle school I decide I can't take it anymore and run away from home. I have a plan to walk through the woods to the next city over in an overnight trip, but as I do so, the world ends, and I see the next city from afar bathed in flames and destroyed. I continue following along a trail. There's a large bundle of lumber blocking the road I had to move and skirt arond, and I'm one side of the road drops down into a steep valley. Eventually I hit on a point in the trail where a series of lions and tigers start walking towards me. at this point I'm male, and me, again, and I have a knife in my hand, but I sit very still against the wall on the opposite side of the trail to the valley and hope they pass me by. Some do, some seem like they're gonna harm me, then pass by, two don't, and they fade from lions and tigers to two punk troublermaking humans, and then they start making moves to hurt me, and I realize that they're not lions and tigers but a berserkir and ulfhednar. They start changing into their wolf and bear forms but I use the knife and in a bloody fight I eviscerate both of them. Then I realize that I'm also a berserkir and had partially changed to my bear form in the fight. Then I wake up.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Because graffiti has been on my mind from time to time, I had this dream that was so realistic I thought it was real in the moment. I had my miniature priming spray can that I've never used out in the city real late, and I decided "Yeah I'm gonna make something" so I found this secluded spot on a car park building and started tagging. I remember it was so vivid and I was so in control that I actually fucked it up a bit trying to figure out how it works. But I made something eventually, though it looked kinda ugly. Then when I was walking away I looked at my watch and I saw the time was 11.30 AM (though it was pitch black midnight) and was like "Holy shit I am late for work!" and started running. Then I woke up. I checked the time, I wasn't late for work but if I'd stayed asleep longer I probably would have been. No interpretation, I just thought this was a cool dream, and I got to practice my graffiti skills that I'll probably never use.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
What a coincidence that I read the first 3 chapters of Freud's interpretation of dreams book just yesterday because of a dream I had.
Freud's method can be boiled down to "dreams have content that you see while asleep, and then there's true meaning that is the seed of the dream, and that can be extracted through interpretation. First look at the circumstances of the dreamer, especially the events of the day prior to the dream, and then puzzle out how the dream is actually the fulfillment of a wish or desire of the dreamer". I don't know if it's pure nonsense or not but the dreams that he narrates are a nice window into Freud's era and how people lived back then so even if it's not a good method it's a nice read.

Anyway, here goes the dream that started my research
I had just arrived at a party. There was an entrance room where your invitation was checked. It was pretty full of people hanging out. Then I entered the party, though the room was kind of dark and empty, so maybe I was early? There were two people dancing, a man and a woman whom I knew. As I observed them I knew that he was her boyfriend. As I always do, I stayed in a corner, overlooking the place. Then very soon they approached me in their dance, and then moved away. Then only the girl returned. I know in the dream that we were friends, or at least acquaintances. We left the room into the entrance area while we were chatting (I don't remember what we spoke of). Then I approached the people who had checked my invitation before. As I looked closer, they were at a counter that doubled as a kiosk of sorts. I looked at the counter and saw some pins that you hang on your shirt. The girl left, I don't know what for, but I knew she would return soon. At that point I had in mind the idea to tease her by buying her a few pins, one of them I remember saying "Congrats on turning 45!". So I was going to tease her by implying she's old even though I knew she was in her twenties. I asked for their price the woman the counter must not have heard well because she told me the price of another, larger pin, which I remember was exorbitant it was. For some reason as I rummaged through the pins (there were a lot of them), I couldn't find the ones I wanted. They were blurry and bunched up. Then she returned, now wearing a jacket (of the kind people use when they ride in their motorcycles, and I knew that she had done just that). So I whispered to the woman at the counter if she could find them for me and I'd pay later. She agreed and I urged the girl to leave again, but now with me. So we went out to take a walk. I remember the sky was dark and cloudless, and there was a bit of fog far away. We went to a grocery store/bazaar type place and we walked around the aisles. At some point she said something (I don't remember what) and I replied "Yeah, we're good friends after all". At that point her expression turned annoyed or slightly angry and she dragged me by the arm towards another aisle. There, she grabbed a red dress and handed it to me, and then she entered the changing room but left the dress in my hands. She left the door slightly open and started changing, as if wanting me to peek. I knew she wanted me to hand her the dress after she finished talking off her clothes, but I got angry because I realized that all along she had been making subtle advances towards me (like the dialogue just before), and now she had figured out that being subtle wouldn't work so she was going to tell me outright. So I left the dress on a hook right outside for her to grab, and then I left the shop into the street. That's where the dream ended.
And here's how I interpret it using Freud's method: while I show up at the party and act like a loner, some woman pays attention to me. This indeed refers to my desire for companionship. But as her advances towards me become more obvious, I kept rejecting her. Maybe I was just showing her that I was more virtuous than her, since she wanted to cheat but I rejected her. So in short, I was fulfilling the wish of being approached by women even with my loner attitude, and I want to be more virtuous than others(?)

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I've had a few dreams where I've been sexually assaulted by people I know in my life. I read that this means I feel that they have power over me and/or seek to control me, and that I have a lack of control in my life. Considering who the people who did these things in my dreams are, I would agree with this assessment. I have never been sexually assaulted in real life, unless I'm repressing some memory and I can't remember, so I'm not reliving some trauma or whatever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Nightmare:

This dream was very coherent for dream standards. The only part that I can't somehow fit into the timeline is the following:
I was climbing on what seemed like a physically implausible construction of pipelines. They were floating over an open body of water at nonsensical angles but the body itself was square, like an isometric video game map very limited in space and around that was just a grey void.
The pipes were of varied thickness and age, some were new with a new coat of yellow paint, some old and rusty. One of them had a leak and was spilling thick, gooey black oil into the water below and I was tasked with fixing it. I had no tools or climbing gear and quickly most of the pipes were slippery from all the oil spilling everywhere. Eventually I slipped and fell down into the water that already had an oil carpet ontop and I remember panicking trying to climb up the slippery pipes, being completely covered in the oil.

The actual nightmare was the following: It centered around some deranged dude who vaguely resembled the protag from hatred in appearance, the hair a little shorter.
1675330780181.png

He had a twitter account and would frequently upload videos of himself there. Always in black and white and usually of disturbing or nonsensical nature. You always saw him sitting behind a desk and he would play instruments that only made noise or see him scream into the camera. The videos were of low, VHS like quality. Over time, he became obsessed with body mods. Piercings, tattoos and implants - to a degree it disfigured his face
1675330929230.png

Kind of like this but less colourful. The final step of his transformation was to replace his eyes with two tumour like bulges that completely covered his eye sockets. Naturally, his account garnered attention and he became essentially a lolcow for kiwifarms type people that would harass and bully him for his appearance and choices. I don't know HOW but somehow I was involved in this and some of his bullies doxxed me and sent this guy after me.
I wasn't living at home but I was for some reason just guest at a family's home I have never seen before., a mother and three children. It was apparent that I am a stranger to them and merely a guest. The house was extremely narrow, wedged between two regular sized houses:
1675331111999.png

It had many stories too but the staircase alone usually ate half of a room's space.

The deformed dude uploaded videos targeting me specifically, saying he'd go out to hunt me. I remember being outside and being afraid that he would lurk around the corner because it was known that he was mentally unstable and he would kill me.
Then a sort of time skip happens and we're now oberserving the dude's past, before all the body mods and when he was a little younger:

He is living with his parents but the dad is abusive, beating him and his mother. We spend one night from his perspective, he's laying in his bed at night, the room barely visible in ambient moonlight as he hears his dad raping his mom in the room above, thumping and cries shake the bed he's laying in.
Suddenly I am part of the household and the mother tells me that she has cancer and needs to lay in a bed. Because of dream logic, I am now tasked with replacing a bed in a tiny guest room with another, equally sized one.
I protest and say:"I don't want to change the matresses because this is the bed my mom died in" (Info: My actual mom died of cancer). Yet I am forced to finish my task and I beginn disassembling the bed. While pulling out the heavy matress and flipping it over, I see a person shaped stain on the bottom that perfectly resembles my mother's silhouette. I start crying miserably and leave the room, finally waking up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

[Tr4sh_Kun]

(Kinda) Social Isolationist
Reaction score
Awards
I don't usually have dreams, but when I do they tend to be nightmares or very weird dreams, the last three i remember goes as following

◘ I was in a dark room, like a warehouse or something like this place but way darker, i could barely see where I was going, i could hear someone running in the distance, sometimes further and sometimes closer until I saw that person running at me and stabbing me in the chest before running away but for some reason i never bled and it only felt like I was being punched in the chest
imagen_2023-02-02_054713686.png

◘ The second was a really weird dream where i was in my grandmother's house but I was completely alone, suddenly I start feeling a strong pain in my teeth and I felt like one of them was loose so i just pulled out the tooth with my hand and when I saw the tooth for some reason it was red and it was hollow and felt like it was made of ceramic

◘ And the last one and most recently was from when I played Fallout 4 for the first time, I was walking down the street at night and I was completely alone until I stumbled upon a crashed vertibird and a suit of power armor with a minigun, i put on the armor and suddenly the streets were getting flodded with radroaches so i just started running away and shooting everywere until I reached my house and locked myself in, that was by far the scariest one because I'm fucking terrified of roaches and I can't even look at one without having a mini panic attack and feeling like something is crawling in my arms and face

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I rarely ever remember my dreams unfortunately. Usually if I do remember them it's because of something weird or disturbing. One in particular I remember not really because the dream itself was anything too weird, but the fact that I'm pretty sure I was headed towards sleep paralysis afterwards. I was taking a nap before dinner on a friday one time last year and the dream itself involved some sort of cool cross country skiing thing but as it went on, I knew that I was sleeping, I was aware of my surroundings, and I knew that it was dinner time really soon, but I was finding it more and more difficult to wake up. My wife came into the room periodically to check on me and each time I knew she was there and that I should wake up but I just couldn't. My brain was stuck in this weird loop of thinking about getting up but then analyzing the action as a conscious choice which for some reason prevented me from actually doing the action of waking up. Apparently I was like this for a good half hour before my wife finally decided to try to wake me up and I was somehow able to get out of the loop. I don't really know what caused all of that. It felt extremely weird to be asleep while knowing you're asleep and having some level of awareness of surrounding but have your body refuse to wake up. I guess maybe this was more akin to astral projection than sleep paralysis but regardless, it was weird

Virtual Cafe Awards
In the 1980's there was a series of documentaries called The Way of the Dream which analyzed closely the significance of dreams and roles they can play in our lives. They extensively interviewed one of Carl Jung's leading protegies, Marie von Franz, who is not just worth listening to but her books are equally illuminating. While Freud was definitely onto something with dreams, not even Carl Jung would deny that, his absolute insistence that they are essentially perversions of wish fulfillment and nothing more is in my view an incomplete take. This disagreement about the nature of dreams was the major reason for why Freud and Jung split, and I have to say that Jung's take is a lot more insightful.

In any case, The Way of the Dream is an excellent introduction to Jung's appreciation of dreams, and the full documentary including all its episodes can be found here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQTDTcup04

Edit: Here's a short clip from that documentary series incase to help you gauge your interest:

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
In the 1980's there was a series of documentaries called The Way of the Dream which analyzed closely the significance of dreams and roles they can play in our lives. They extensively interviewed one of Carl Jung's leading protegies, Marie von Franz, who is not just worth listening to but her books are equally illuminating. While Freud was definitely onto something with dreams, not even Carl Jung would deny that, his absolute insistence that they are essentially perversions of wish fulfillment and nothing more is in my view an incomplete take. This disagreement about the nature of dreams was the major reason for why Freud and Jung split, and I have to say that Jung's take is a lot more insightful.

In any case, The Way of the Dream is an excellent introduction to Jung's appreciation of dreams, and the full documentary including all its episodes can be found here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQTDTcup04

Edit: Here's a short clip from that documentary series incase to help you gauge your interest:

I'll check this out for sure, thanks! I've already read Man and His Symbols and I'm starting on The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious atm.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
I have a few different types of dreams, involved, uninvolved and the one recurring one.

Involved dreams are the ones I experience from a first person perspective. About 90% of these are nightmares of some sort that would probably be quite disturbing to most people, but I've been having them since I was a kid so it doesn't really bother me anymore. Examples include nonsense like having to listen to a "friend"(dream perspective, not someone I actually know) get raped while I hide alone as a small child nearby, unable to do anything to help, having my arms and legs removed by some asshole who proceeds to take out my senses one by one only stopping before he takes my hearing to say "from now on till the day you die the only world you shall know is pain" before putting me in excruciating pain, and these can also dip into cosmic horror such as being stuck on an island during the end times while the world is consumed by monsters, only to find a door on the island that took me to a reality where the basis for information as a general concept was.... very different in a way that I don't think I could properly describe.

Uninvolved dreams are stuff that I basically watch like a TV show, I'm not actually involved in any way and my brain more or less plays me a story that usually makes a surprising amount of sense for a dream. I had an anime styled one where a girl was having trouble paying for college and was in a lot of debt in general so she joined a shady organization that was offering to pay participants 5 million dollars to do something for them. So her along with 8 others with various backgrounds were being paid to basically just watch videos at a certain time on a website that they had set up. When she watched the first video it was just static, but about an hour in a big, sasqutch-esk monster burst through the wall that was behind the computer and she just barely gets away after some struggle, only to wake up back at the desk where she was watching the video with no damage to anything. This basically escalates as more videos are watched until the group gets pulled into a sort of "shadow" reality within the videos were a brutal fight for survival takes place before the survivors eventually escape. In the end the mechanism that was allowing the videos to effect stuff was disabled and the girl made out with some valuable thing to pay back her debts while the organization behind it seemingly vanished. I hope I get a sequel to this one at some point.
Another one from this category was a dream that took place on as a stage play, where the world was a literal stage(everything was props, the only lighting was stage lighting, you could see curtains on the edge of the sky, which was pitch black. The story itself was some sort of logical nonsense bit where everyone would misinterpret everything that was said intentionally, then these misinterpretations where what was happening all along. This resulted in an event where a group of people set out to rescue a princess who, after a brief conversation with her jailers, turned out to not need to be rescued, had already been rescued(by the group on there way over to her), then kidnapped by the group which somehow resolved a conflict between rival nations that ended a war that had been going for 20 years. I think this was the only time I ever woke up from a dream laughing.

I don't think either of these two classes of dreams are worth analyses, since their purpose seems to be either to annoy or entertain me at this point.

The last type of dream is my one recurring dream. Being a student at some sort of academic institution where I realize deep into the academic period that I totally forgot about a class that I was suppose to be attending the entire time. This usually results in panic and desperately trying to salvage the situation though recently I have been catching on quicker. for whatever reason this dream results in a lot of confusion when I wake up and I usually have to remind myself that I'm not in school anymore. If I had to take a guess, this ones probably about feelings of wasted potential somewhere in my subconscious. Not sure why since I would be considered successful by most standards.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"Once upon a time, I, Zhuangzi, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Zhuangzi. Soon I awakened, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things."

I was reminded of that... and this

butt3rfly_s0up

away with the fairies
Reaction score
Awards
I keep having weird fucking dreams. One was about how my door knob disappeared and it was very stressful because i was scared that I wouldn't be able to open the door. In another, it was set in class and the teacher had written my exam score on the whiteboard, upon first glance it said 22% but i thought that couldn't be right so i stared harder and it was 55%. I think its one of the worst nightmare's I've ever had. Recently, i had a nightmare where my debit card was stolen and someone kept buying shit with it. All my nightmares are so stressful

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I keep having weird fucking dreams. One was about how my door knob disappeared and it was very stressful because i was scared that I wouldn't be able to open the door. In another, it was set in class and the teacher had written my exam score on the whiteboard, upon first glance it said 22% but i thought that couldn't be right so i stared harder and it was 55%. I think its one of the worst nightmare's I've ever had. Recently, i had a nightmare where my debit card was stolen and someone kept buying shit with it. All my nightmares are so stressful
getting a terrible grade on a test in school is a nightmarish situation in itself (or it was for me at least). The more I look back on it the more I've come to think that the stress school puts on people with respect to grading, as well as the cramped social environment and the demand to sit still and focus on something very tedious for long hours at a time, is pure poison both physically and mentally

Virtual Cafe Awards

butt3rfly_s0up

away with the fairies
Reaction score
Awards
getting a terrible grade on a test in school is a nightmarish situation in itself (or it was for me at least). The more I look back on it the more I've come to think that the stress school puts on people with respect to grading, as well as the cramped social environment and the demand to sit still and focus on something very tedious for long hours at a time, is pure poison both physically and mentally
Yep especially for introverts / neurodivergent people

Antice

splendid
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
antice.neocities.org
I was talking about something more like Alzheimer

Edit:
Check this out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWksPWDKOc

While listening, think about my personal hell

There are recurring dreams since I can remember. All of them have a set meaning and act like a cautious Déjà-vu. But five years ago I got a new one that I can't explain without doubt:
I wake up at the current location, even if I can't recall the name of the place, I forget it. Normally, I act on noise waking up, so if it's silent I try to check the time. The problem is, first I lose my thing (clock) and then the concept of it (time). That's where some weird fading starts to happen. Everything loses colour and detail until only basic shapes and definition are left. Trying to interact with things will make this fade instant, and after the fade things are a vague representation of what I forgot. At this point I get sad, I get overwhelmed by a helplessness, that I can't fix the issue any more. Whatever the problem is, it's too late and I know. I know all my safeguards have failed. Unlike me, I begin to cry, that is all there is to do. Until I don't know why I'm crying and it starts all over again. Uncertain felling of a failed reality check, sadness, breakdown, ¿death?.

Last edited:

Z0diacK

NOT A SCHIZO
Reaction score
Awards
All dreams I vividly remembers are dreams of me destroying the existence of people and sometimes very brutally so. Last night my dream was about me being in some sort of blood temple with some scary looking statues that were running after me holding a torch and blurting out chants. Someone was in the middle telling me I was gonna get shot in the chest. Then I was leading some mercenary group to fight against Jewish individuals hiding in bushes and trees. We sucesfully shot them all only to find out 4 people were part of a plan to shoot me too, that were part of my mercenary group! Luckily I found out quickly and shot them. Then a guy who was the 5th secret member appeared, shot me in my chest. (like the lady prophesysed) and out of shame and pain I shot myself in the head. That shot in my chest hurt alot though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
I recently had a dream about a red snake attacking me, then it got two heads and then something about my mother. I was having a shit day that day and my mother and I had a fight...so idk about the dream

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Just had this one today
IMG_0778.jpeg

>Take a little nap, as a treat
>I dream that I'm just chilling in my room, reading a book
>not bad
>the book is simultaneously narrating itself like an audiobook, I think nothing of this
>a section comes up about some sort of tick epidemic in California
>my brain decides the next logical narrative choice for the dream is to fill the book with fucking massive flying ticks
>I spend what feels like the next hour or so in dream-time freaking out and trying to kill them before they exsanguinate me

Thank you brain, very cool.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
The other night I had another violent dream, where I faced an aggressor. I dislike that violent dreams make me more anxious for the next week that something is going to happen to me where I'm going to have to beat someone up. Even if you get out of the fight without a scratch, you're fucked. Our nanny state and the legislature was written by prissy boys who live in upper-crust crime-free neighborhoods, and have a school principal attitude to all violence.
This is a common type of dream that happens to me from time to time, for no particular reason.

Virtual Cafe Awards