Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Attachments

• ibm-quantum-computer.jpg
    ibm-quantum-computer.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 154
Virtual Cafe Awards
*scientist* with this hm ... fusion reactor powered quantum computer ... khm khm ... we've solved humanity's most pressing problem! perpetuum grantolum! permanent grant money!
*scientific collegiate* perpetuum grantolum! impossible! it contradicts the fundamental laws of nomismodynamics! swindlers! liars!
*president of scientific collegiate* silence in the auditorium! let him speak!
*scientist* yes khm my fusion reactor powered quantum computer exploits the so called memory hole decay effect discovered by professor K. represented here by a constant of µ=5yr. we establish a khm khm so called hmm hmm memory hole recurrence attractor mapped to a vector space by an algebraic group ...
*scientific administrator* enough with technobabble, professor, what does it mean?
*scientist* well it's quite simple really! khm! hmm! as long as the pace of our research is slower than the public's collective memory, we can continuously promise breakthrough results ... without ever delivering anything!
*members of scientific collegiate go wild, rip off their clothes, some jump out of the window, scientific administrator laughs maniacally*

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think it'd definitely possible for this item to yield incredible breakthroughs, but to my knowledge only for a limited subset of problems. Like how to find the two long primes to find the keys to encryption.

It's great for dumb computation, but not so much for general purpose computation. That algorithm still needs to be discovered.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Like how to find the two long primes to find the keys to encryption.
I have a limited understanding of this sort of thing, but wouldn't that essentially kill crypto currency?

Virtual Cafe Awards
I have a limited understanding of this sort of thing, but wouldn't that essentially kill crypto currency?
Assuming one day they make one powerful enough. Yes. But people are working on quantum resistant encryption as we speak. Things like lattice cryptography.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Is the future truely quantum? or is this an academic's fantasy?
Its a buzzword like everything else in science nowadays. We're quickly hitting a plateau of diminishing returns in all fields of study and scientists are desperate to find the next big discovery to solve the problems created by the excesses enabled by scientism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Its a buzzword like everything else in science nowadays. We're quickly hitting a plateau of diminishing returns in all fields of study and scientists are desperate to find the next big discovery to solve the problems created by the excesses enabled by scientism.
is time to philosophy then?

Attachments

• phiilpepe.jpeg
    phiilpepe.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 29
Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
religion is for the weak.
I'm not big brain enough to argue around in circles like philosophers have for the last few thousand years. A real genius questions everything so hard he loses basic understanding of reality and eventually gets hooked on drugs or kills himself to end it all. I wish I had the strength to put myself through Sisyphean suffering to stroke my own ego.

1652122015668.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not big brain enough to argue around in circles like philosophers have for the last few thousand years. A real genius questions everything so hard he loses basic understanding of reality and eventually gets hooked on drugs or kills himself to end it all. I wish I had the strength to put myself through Sisyphean suffering to stroke my own ego.

View attachment 28074
he's literally me

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Quantum Computing seems to me to be similar in role to things like openCL. A very useful, fast technology for doing tasks in a specific way. I can see it being very useful for undermining/cracking passwords.

But whether it will be useful for general purpose computing is a different question. I'm not sure it will be.