Some cookies I baked for myself and my family
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 9.21.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 9.21.59 AM.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
It's summer here but this morning was cold so here's some mini quince jam pies and cookies with the leftover pie dough
1.jpg

With the same dough here's a dulce de leche and coconut thing. There was too little dulce de leche but if you put in too much it melts and overflows so I don't know what the solution is to this problem.
2.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aral

Naval enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city
I did a peach pie thing this afternoon, it was a bit on the fly but I'm gonna try and make a recipe
photo_2023-02-07_16-16-38.jpg

Ingredients:
- Pie crust
- Canned peaches (used a 500 grams can)
- Cream (I use whole milk cream, but I guess you can use any you want, about a tablespoon)
- Speculoos biscuits
- 3 eggs
- Vanilla powder (about 1.5 teaspoon?)

1. Put your crust in the mold while you preheat your oven to 220°C.
2. In a bowl, mix your eggs with a tablespoon of cream, then add the vanilla and mix again
3. Crush some speculoos biscuits in another bowl, make enough so the bottom of the pie is garnished with crumbs
4. Add the peaches, break them in smaller sections if you want
5. Pour the egg-cream-vanilla mix in the pie
Optional: sprinkle some more biscuit crumbs on top if you want
6. Put this into the oven
7. Let it bake for around 30 min, I don't know how long it took actually, but keep an eye on your pie and use your common sense to get it out when it starts smelling
8. Let it cool down for a bit before eating. I think it's going to be better once cold though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Don't get me wrong, food over there was great but after 5 weeks I was CRAVING good ol German bread. So much that ontop of getting some fresh bread from the bakery, I also decided to bake some myself.
This one was incredibly easy to make, provided you have a kitchen aid!

250g of wheat flour
200g of rye flour
13g salt
one of those small dry yeast bags (between 9-12g)
~5g of other spices, we chose garlic powder and paprika
350ml of warm water

Put all of that into your kitchen aid and let it stir for 10 minutes on medium setting.
Then put a towel over the bowl and put it somewhere warm (25-30C°,I literally put in ontop of my PC while gaming) for 30-40 minutes.
Now the recipe said to mold it onto a bread shape and then put that in your bread pan but our dough was so liquid that we should've just "poured" it into the bread pan. So if your dough ends up not really workable, just pour it in.
Then it needs to sit for another 40-50 minutes, you can preheat the oven to 220C° towards the end of this.
Now also get a small heat resistant pot or bowl or something to pour water in. You want the water to evaporate during the baking to create a moist atmosphere inside the oven.
Pan into the oven, wait for 10 minutes and reduce temp to 200C°. Then bake for another 35-40 minutes. Let it cool of on a grid and done.

We also chopped up some sunflower seeds and put those into the dough which added flavor and crunch! It was my first time baking bread and I very satisfied.

It sounds like a lot but most you do is just wait. You pour some ingredients together and the rest of the work is more or less waiting for it to be done. I will refine this recipe with different spices/seasoning and adjust flour ratios and try diffrent flours soon. Next up is spelt.

image.png

image.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Physical embodiment of The Oasis
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Don't get me wrong, food over there was great but after 5 weeks I was CRAVING good ol German bread. So much that ontop of getting some fresh bread from the bakery, I also decided to bake some myself.
This one was incredibly easy to make, provided you have a kitchen aid!

250g of wheat flour
200g of rye flour
13g salt
one of those small dry yeast bags (between 9-12g)
~5g of other spices, we chose garlic powder and paprika
350ml of warm water

Put all of that into your kitchen aid and let it stir for 10 minutes on medium setting.
Then put a towel over the bowl and put it somewhere warm (25-30C°,I literally put in ontop of my PC while gaming) for 30-40 minutes.
Now the recipe said to mold it onto a bread shape and then put that in your bread pan but our dough was so liquid that we should've just "poured" it into the bread pan. So if your dough ends up not really workable, just pour it in.
Then it needs to sit for another 40-50 minutes, you can preheat the oven to 220C° towards the end of this.
Now also get a small heat resistant pot or bowl or something to pour water in. You want the water to evaporate during the baking to create a moist atmosphere inside the oven.
Pan into the oven, wait for 10 minutes and reduce temp to 200C°. Then bake for another 35-40 minutes. Let it cool of on a grid and done.

We also chopped up some sunflower seeds and put those into the dough which added flavor and crunch! It was my first time baking bread and I very satisfied.

It sounds like a lot but most you do is just wait. You pour some ingredients together and the rest of the work is more or less waiting for it to be done. I will refine this recipe with different spices/seasoning and adjust flour ratios and try diffrent flours soon. Next up is spelt.

image.png

image.png
pair it with some sausage and cheese and enjoy! It looks great man :SataniaThumbsUp:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Trying to bake one bread a week. I did the same one again last sunday and it works well.
GF also made some baguette dough yesterday and the yeast had a night to work. She's at work now so I just needed to fill the molds and bake it:
image.png

image.png

Notice the small water bowl to get a good steamy atmosphere in the oven.
image.png

Man they're ugly... but they smell good! They're still cooling down and then I can get a taste.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Trying to bake one bread a week. I did the same one again last sunday and it works well.
GF also made some baguette dough yesterday and the yeast had a night to work. She's at work now so I just needed to fill the molds and bake it:
image.png

image.png

image.png

Man they're ugly... but they smell good! They're still cooling down and then I can get a taste.
Wow! they look great. All you need to do is enslave some kittens and you can have your own bakery.
cat GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
image.png

image.png

image.png

I don't know how you prefer your bread, so feel free to ignore this, but I think you could get the loafs to look better by using a bit more flour/ less water in your dough mixture.
On the baguette that I posted, I got the mixture just to the point where I can work the dough without it sticking to my hands, or anything else really (most of the time). You can also make cuts across the top if you don't want the bread to crack randomly.

Granted, you may also be using a machine to work your dough whereas I make mine entirely by hand, so if the machine can't handle thicker stuff I guess it's all the more reason to ignore my post.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know how you prefer your bread, so feel free to ignore this, but I think you could get the loafs to look better by using a bit more flour/ less water in your dough mixture.
On the baguette that I posted, I got the mixture just to the point where I can work the dough without it sticking to my hands, or anything else really (most of the time). You can also make cuts across the top if you don't want the bread to crack randomly.

Granted, you may also be using a machine to work your dough whereas I make mine entirely by hand, so if the machine can't handle thicker stuff I guess it's all the more reason to ignore my post.
Yeah I have a machine and my gf said there's still a technique to nicer looking loafs so that was just my first attempt of pouring the dough into the moulds I guess. ^^"
Feedback is always welcome!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards

Sounds like great advice!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Well, since I didn't post how to make the bread I posted I figured I would do so this time.
So first off.
IMG_20230505_230921.jpg

You are going to need the following
Bread flour
Yeast (I'm using activated dry yeast)
Sugar
Salt
Something large enough to mix the ingredients together in.
A cutting board or similar working surface
A set of measuring spoons
A cup or small bowl
A baking tray, or something flat and oven safe
A knife
An oven

To start off, you need to activate your yeast, so take your cup or small bowl and pour about 1/2cup of warm water into it along with a teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of yeast, then mix it until everything dissolves. This will need to sit for about 15 minutes till it foams up like so.
IMG_20230505_234316.jpg

While waiting for this, we can prepare another thing.

Dump about 3 cups of flour and 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt into your large bowl
IMG_20230505_231934.jpg

be sure to mix it up good, or your salt may end up concentrated in one part of the bread.
Once your yeast has foamed up, add 1 cup of warm water to the bowl of flour, then dump the yeast water into it. Direct contact with the salt in the bowl can actually kill the yeast, so the cup of water acts as a sort of buffer to prevent that from happening.

Now you need to work the water into the flour to make the dough, which depending on the alignment of the start, tectonic plates, and the will of God can go one of three ways

Not enough water- The dough will not be able to pick up all of the flour and will have a grainy texture/ may start to crumple apart, if this happens you need to add a bit of water, which can be done by forming a crater in the center of the dough and adding a very small amount of water (no more than a teaspoon, it is very sensitive) then closing the dough around the water and working it further until you can see if it hit the right ratio or you overshot.

Too much water- The dough will take up all of the flour, but will be an ultra sticky mess that refuses to get off your hands, just add a handful of flour to the dough and work it in, repeat until it hits the proper ratio.

Perfectly- the ratio of water to flour was good and no further fedangling is necessary, in this state the dough will prefer to stick to itself and can be worked by hand super easily, for this one, I happened to get it right off the bat.
IMG_20230505_234938.jpg

As you can see, despite me working this by hand it basically kept to itself and doesn't want to stick to me, very convenient.

Up next we will need to knead the bread for a bit, so take your cutting board or work surface and lightly spread some flour onto it, then fold the dough onto itself and flatten it a little.
IMG_20230505_235128.jpg

The motion for this is best described as placing your palm onto the folded dough ball and pressing down and outward. Repeat this process, folding the dough onto itself then pressing out a few times, maybe 6~7 times total will get you where you knead to be.

Once this is done, roll the dough back into a ball shape with the palms of your hands and place in a covered bowl (probably the one you used to mix everything together in) for 2 hours to rise.
IMG_20230505_235313.jpg

After two hours, re-flour your cutting board or work surface, dump your dough on there and punch the air out (compress it down a bit).
Once that is done it's time to form the dough into a loaf shape.
First flatten the dough into a long rectangle shape, about as long as you want the loaf to be.
IMG_20230506_015732.jpg

Then join to two long sides together and pinch them real good to seal it
IMG_20230506_015815.jpg

Repeat this process once more, then flour up a portion of the board, place the loaf seam down and cover with a damp cloth.
IMG_20230506_020104.jpg

This will need to wait here for about 30 minutes, so in the mean time, set your oven rack to the center and preheat your oven to 450 F or about 230 C.

Once the time has passed transfer the loaf to a baking sheet/ tinfoil covered oven safe thing seam down.
IMG_20230506_023208.jpg

Then make 1~1.5 inch cuts in the dough about an inch apart with a knife, add a small amount of flour to each one as you do(something I neglected this time cause I forgot), this helps stop the bread from cracking the crust.

Prepare about 1/2 cup of water, place your bread into the oven on your oven rack, then dump the water on the oven floor, then quickly close the oven door, this forms the bread crust. ( you may not be able to do this depending on your oven construction it can potentially damage it, if so, place the water in an oven glass safe bowl and load it on the bottom)

Cook for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and enjoy.
IMG_20230506_025451.jpg

As you can see, the cuts re-sealed themselves on my loaf cause I forgot to flour the cuts and it bulged out in a few spots because of it.
Oh well, still good.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
damn that looks tasty!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Been making stuff from random baking vids that youtube keeps recommending me.

IMG_20240104_043215.jpg

Coffee Buns, they were pretty good, but the coffee flavored cream that I made as filling wasn't great (mostly cause I don't like the flavor of coffee much)

I also made this, though I neglected to get a picture of my own

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_A7OU95Scs

This is great, a giant pain in the ass to make, but great.

Virtual Cafe Awards