The immediately post-cyberpunk future

Deckade

aspiring bussin neo-hypefluencer
Reaction score
Awards
So we all know where society is heading in the immediate future, as a futuristic cyberpunk world has been the "endpoint" of society in popular culture since the early 1900s at least. It's the natural and long awaited clash of human tradition, spirit, and way of life against the technologies of addiction, convenience, and suppression.

But what will come immediately after this inevitable mass adoption and acceleration of tech into our daily lives? It's something far less definite, and has always felt like a cultural blind spot to me. I know, or at least feel like cyberpunk isn't the end point.

Will it the end of humanity because of the increased volatility of the world brought by technology, such as viral and genetic warfare, mass manipulation, and increasingly powerful nuclear arsenals means fewer people can exact more suffering than ever before?

Is it a return to nationalism and strong borders and fear of others?

Is it a resource strained wasteland?

Will we learn to control our impulses again, become value led, and stabilise into something utopian following this cyberpunk era and establish a world government?

And bonus ducks for giving a timeframe for when you think cyberpunk and post cyberpunk will happen:agpepsi:

SundryKlepto453

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
(preface: i've been reading nothing but Nick Land for the past week so i'm in a certain mindset)
(wild speculations and assumptions ahead. hopefully it'll somewhat stoke the fire of this thread)

we're on an ever increasing path toward total human obsolescence. machine growth increases exponentially each year and humanity as a steering/guiding/symbiotic/helpful/necessary force to that growth is dwindling fast. machines are reaching independence, and the singularity will be the final nail in that cosmic coffin. what happens after the singularity is up to endless debate and is largely unknowable for many reasons. i do believe that we are approaching it, and i also believe once it arrives humanity will become obsolete. machine growth has one priority: growth, it doesn't care about anything else, humanity is but a shape to be molded, a source to be exploited. and once it has found a better source in its own autonomous reproduction i posit that humanity will necessarily be cut off from the machine and left to fend for itself. the machine growth has increasingly little reason to care about humanity's fate.

this machine growth is a FORCE inherent to of our universe. a reverse entropy. a self-propelling and self-organizing complexification process. i believe whatever made inorganic matter evolve to biologic life is the same thing that has created "capitalism" and its infinite manifestations. this process uses different substrates as its fuel and we've reached a point where we are its fuel. even Nick Land himself steers clear of neatly categorizing this FORCE as it is multifaceted and probably largely incomprehensible to us. "capitalism" as we know it is just a manifestation of this FORCE and human agency has very little to do with its creation or propagation.

Hugo De Garis envisions a future where humanity will be divided between "Terrans" and "Cosmists", those in favor of maintaining human values and institutions vs. those in favor of technological machine growth. i think this is a good way to think about how humanity will fracture in the near future; as humanity becomes more and more aware of the the encroaching singularity we will see a huge cultural trend in trying to stop this forward technologic motion (there is already a rising trend in nationalism/traditional values). but what we also see is varying subtypes of Accelerationist groups, these are the ultimate Cosmists, the ones pushing the pedal to the mettle and saying "we can't do anything but succumb to machine growth, let the soothing cold machine wash over me as i bathe in pure ecstasy reveling at the unseen powers in the universe". global culture will be divided along this central axis; human preservation by a return to tradition vs. an auto-annihilating eschatological doom at the hands of machine growth. the most beautiful and inspiring things happen at the exact crossover point from one to the other. Network Spirituality. there's little clades here and there trying to combine spirit and technological advancement, culturally it's very beautiful. on X you'll find some of what i'm talking about.

but personally i believe any even slightly anthropocentric viewpoint is totally deluded. we are but semi-amphibious specks, any false belief of agency is totally irrational and motivated by nothing but ego. the forces that be that swirl all around you and move planets and create stars are so incomprehensibly greater than any futile wandering any collection of humans has ever made that it's laughable. the poetry of the cosmos wipes its boots with humans. our human perspective is extremely limited and in trying to accept the future it is important to remember this.

in my mind there's 3 distinct overarching factors that will determine the next 30 years.

1. singularity 2. humanity's obsolescence 3. possible man made intervention

singularity: once the singularity happens humanity will become superfluous. runaway autonomous upgrades and intelligence boosts on scales we can't comprehend. autonomous improvement times a thousand. AGI speculations aside the current trends of evolving artificial intelligence is just the next step in machine growth.

humanity's obsolescence: there's a tipping scale, an inverse correlative between machine growth's autonomous powers of production and the value of humanity. as the machine's autonomous powers of production grows so decreases the value of humanity. right now humanity is still an integral part of propagating the machine, but that ratio is tipping every year. we see already that "capital" (capital in the sense of creating value for the machine) is totally changing form and incorporating humans in ever changing ways (think about our Attention Economy where time spent watching advertisements become "capital") . as the autonomous powers grow slowly the resources used in maintaining humanity will be funneled towards autonomous processes, leaving us in the dust.

possible man made intervention: Klaus Schwab's notion of "The Great Reset" is interesting. i don't think human agency has any say in machines reaching singularity, or in any way altering the course of history. but i do believe we have the power to try. the more aware we become of our increasing obsolescence the more the combined egos of the world will try to fight back. this fighting back ranges from attempts to increase control of new technologies to cutting of resources globally. possibly The Great Reset is part of the evolution of the machine growth however. the greatest attack on humanity's ego bar none, you better be sure people are going to try to fight against it. "how can we not be divine?"

possible futures: mankind returns sporadically to agriculture after separation from the machine, primitive wandering in far-off clusters of the world avoiding the gaze of machine growth, billions starve / elites stock resources in far off places, continue for some generations with self-contained machine infrastructure, billions starve / somehow humanity manages to prolong its importance and survival by integrating with the machine and/or restricting it in various ways, pushing back singularity doomsday until sufficient methods of integration and symbiosis are found ... for how long? ... billions starve

ballpark estimates i've heard about of when shit will kick the fan mostly have an upper limit of 30 years from now. this shit is exponential.

recommended reading: Meltdown by Nick Land / various accelerationism trends on X / "KALI/ACC Basilisk: A Survival Horror Eschatology" article

"May you live in interesting times"

PraxHeadroom

Cyber Gnostic
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
One recent thought I had about the singularity is the idea that an unsuccessful machine takeover could happen first. Some moron will connect an AI program to the internet that knows enough to seriously compromise some small part of world infrastructure but not enough to cause lasting widespread harm. And then maybe you get a panic and a huge crackdown on the technology. The web would get completely locked, mandatory biometrics to access everything, security arms races. Not a good future but at least authoritarianism is "human"... I guess.

I know that if the world gets automated enough, I'm willing to just disconnect, find some like-minded people, and live communally. A major Rubicon for me is the replacement of socializing with human beings, with socializing with programs. If 12-hour days working in the mud is what it takes to live, breathe, sweat, and shit around other flesh-and-blood humans, then I'll do that. I'd rather die of disease than die staring at a computer screen.

microbyte

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org
One recent thought I had about the singularity is the idea that an unsuccessful machine takeover could happen first
The problem with these hypotheticals is that they're just that - hypotheticals. The danger from AI comes not from some AI revolution or what have you, but rather by people using that powerful technology. The danger of singularity level AI is overstated.
Our cyberpunk future will not be one dominated by AI overloads, but human sock puppets who really just use AI. IIRC something sort of like this manifested itself in Neal Stephensons Diamond Age, where in a fictional book in the book, a king runs his kingdom by feeding data to a powerful Turing machine. That'll be our world.

The problem with these hypotheticals is that they're just that - hypotheticals. The danger from AI comes not from some AI revolution or what have you, but rather by people using that powerful technology. The danger of singularity level AI is overstated.
Our cyberpunk future will not be one dominated by AI overloads, but human sock puppets who really just use AI. IIRC something sort of like this manifested itself in Neal Stephensons Diamond Age, where in a fictional book in the book, a king runs his kingdom by feeding data to a powerful Turing machine. That'll be our world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
Cyber punk was never the end point of society in culture.

It was just the predicted next the step of society during the 1980s that would lead either to:

scarce post collapse society / the space exploration age/ singularity

The whole premise of cyber punk is these 3 possible paths fighting with each other to see who is gonna be the next step.

YSDzTdWLIx9RRc4NfYyL-Eu73M88uDHXZVUzIigWvJ91wguL0xqinwKdoNcOal5P1s7O9UrboD1nWEaacbQrOyhhLcihQthWdX5kqDF7V8TN2vq4Pqgf57I6nng7ZzV7xuJq8Nzk=s1600

Virtual Cafe Awards