What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

This is the submission thread for the 2nd E-zine! Please use the dropbox linke for submissions and bump the thread with ideas, comments, statements, or just to bump. If you want to submit your stories or whatever you want to the second edition.

The Internet Is A Potemkin Village: Proof Of Dead Internet Theory?

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
One of the things that have bothered me for a while now, are artificial forums.
I can't find an example to save my life now, but I bet some of you already came in contact of what I am talking about: it's basically a forum, like Agora, but where ALL the threads and posts are fake, in the sense that they are always copied from somewhere else, like a 4shits thread.
The architecture of the site differs from a imageboard, because they have users and post counters, threads, forums and subforums, but the content is 100% artificial.

I don't know why someone would make something like that, and what they stand to gain from it, but there are hundreds of sites like that and it unnerves me.
You sure this isn't just a dead forum that was once active? One of the forums I frequent went without mods for a while because it was bought by an 'e-assets' company (vom). In that time, it was flooded with bots copying >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk posts and posting them into threads, then later coming back and editing links into the posts.

If the forum hadn't been active it would have been flooded with that shit in short order.

Virtual Cafe Awards

magnificat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
the fake forum sounds like a great scam to sell ads

Vrashzt

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, now that you have said it they are definitely ad traps, nothing suspicious at all.
Still, one would think that there would be a better way to get that sweet ad revenue...

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Found this AI generated website in the first result of brave search. I was trying to find this original article 287417262_2236665889822382_4263568551991084040_n.jpeg
Clearly I mustn't type too good because I found the gibberish version
Screenshot 2022-06-11 at 6.03.28 pm.png
Whole website is AI generated. nearly 17,000 pages of ten posts each since August last year. They released multiple articles while I was poking around.
Screenshot 2022-06-11 at 6.12.42 pm.png
So i guess this is further proof of this theory.
Pretty freaky shit

Virtual Cafe Awards

Quinault Victory

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
They are always called eg "John Smith" rather than "xxxPussySlayer69xxx".
'member how both Google and Facebook spent years pushing contentious "real name policies" on their users to condition them to this? People would notice obvious patterns if fake accounts tried to generate oldschool-style pseudonyms, but nobody questions @FirstnameLastnames with selfie avatars.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
YouTube removed the function to search by oldest videos.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fractalactals

Breakbeat
Reaction score
Awards
'member how both Google and Facebook spent years pushing contentious "real name policies" on their users to condition them to this? People would notice obvious patterns if fake accounts tried to generate oldschool-style pseudonyms, but nobody questions @FirstnameLastnames with selfie avatars.
Even more so with AI generated selfie/portrait photos for the bot accounts, since they are in thumbnail size or smaller any imperfections will be hidden and only scrupulous users will look into it.
Nowadays the AI generation is so good even those small quirks aren't an issue.
It's over.

I wonder how this data was gathered. Does it mean that human traffic is just sending an email, using a web browser or app on people's smartphones? How does my own curl script batch count here? How does the traffic generated by applications sharing data count here? Or is this posts on social media and websites done by humans vs bots?