• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

The Last Good Year?

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Can confirm 1993 was the last good year. I was born in 1994.

Jokes aside, I think the Internet turning to shit was a steady current that turned into a flood in 2016. Not because of any political reasons - that was the year memes became something normies shared with each other. There are still subcultures on the internet and always will be, but the internet as a whole stopped having its own culture separate from that of Western society in 2016. Before that, most people lived irl first and in cyberspace second - since then, there's been no border between the two.

(My own life hasn't really gotten worse, or better, over time. 2020 was one of the more decent years in my life. Hopefully I haven't peaked yet, because if I have, I doubt I'll be around talking about it in a couple decades.)

Jodo_Fan

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
As far as the internet goes, it took a while for the smartphone to trash online culture, so, I'd have to say sometime in the late 2000s or very early 2010s. I also much preferred the web before social media, when people tended to congregate around specific interests and hobbies. Back then, it was possible to enjoy interacting with someone without bumping into their politics, strange ideas on the earth's spherical status, or latest 'hot take'.

As for the rest, I think things started going to hell, or at least picked up speed, after the great recession of 2008. Repent.

Last edited:

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
The last Goodyear was in 2017 when they decided to retire their last functioning Blimp with semi-rigid airships.
Goodyear_Blimp_-_Spirit_of_Innovation.jpg

This was a true American tradition, with their blimps often doting the sky around Football games , but has now been replaced by this.

Wingfoot_One_%28N1A%29.jpg

Semi ridged airship is truly a soulless disgrace, a change brought about by an out of touch corporation.

BLIMP CHADS RISE UP.
noeffort.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

NostalgicDepression

Buried With The Past
Reaction score
Awards
Just gonna go ahead and say 2007, where the internet was at its peak, in my opinion. Classic Myspace & YouTube where people weren't as worried about getting views and stuff like that.

I miss video responses on YouTube & the 5 star system...also when Google wasn't attached to our channels. I miss the customization, too.

Twitter was in it's early stages and full dance videos were released on YouTube , not TikTok...

The main things my for me was music was still music. Every genre has shine, still. Now it's just generic autotune rap & generic pop in the mainstream.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Just gonna go ahead and say 2007, where the internet was at its peak, in my opinion. Classic Myspace & YouTube where people weren't as worried about getting views and stuff like that.

I miss video responses on YouTube & the 5 star system...also when Google wasn't attached to our channels. I miss the customization, too.

Twitter was in it's early stages and full dance videos were released on YouTube , not TikTok...

The main things my for me was music was still music. Every genre has shine, still. Now it's just generic autotune rap & generic pop in the mainstream.
ahh, video responses. back when youtube was actually kind of a social (in a legit way) platform and not just another hur hur pres like butan parasocial nightmare skinnerbox

Virtual Cafe Awards

pre-facebook and pre-smartphone era, that definitely was a time.

Its like if you watch How I met your mother seasons 1-5 its so funny and also so nostalgic. It was the last great sitcom before the culture went to shit. And the life of young people back then resonates so well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
I hate to admit it, but I would have to say the last good year was 2001 before 9/11. 9/11 fucked everything up and we've been trying to pick up the pieces ever since. That's how it feels to me, anyway. I look at movies and music from 1999 and they're so gleeful and optimistic, and fun, and everyone is having a great time and thinking about how awesome the future is going to be. And then 9/11 happens and our economy goes to shit and everyone is obsessed with war and death. I think it was the impetus, really, towards making the 21st century suck.

I was born in 2002 so I've never known a competent, functional world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I look at movies and music from 1999 and they're so gleeful and optimistic, and fun, and everyone is having a great time and thinking about how awesome the future is going to be.

The Matrix - the most gleeful and optimistic movie about awesome future.
The Battle Of Los Angeles - fun music album, the name alone tells you how awesome it is going to be.

No, really what are those gleeful and optimistic movies? That kind of sci-fi and fiction pretty much died in the 80's, 90's is a great illustration of how the whole culture pretty much felt that it was on its dying breaths and therefore became very grim. Aside from several solid comedies like Friday or Ace Ventura, pretty much the whole 90's are dark thrillers and bloody action movies, with just couple exceptions like Toy Soldiers and Last Action Hero. And when it comes to the future, it is Event Horizon, eXistenZ, Escape From L.A., Judge Dredd, Screamers, Gattaca and Hardware. Hardly any of those are anyhow optimistic. The only one that is somewhat gleeful is Space Truckers, but even that is... not easy to call an optimistic one.
Even movies that try to be bright, like Dragonheart, end on a solemn note in the 90's. And the gems of the decade are movies like Falling Down, which pretty much explain the whole outlook of the 90's about the world.

Top it off with music albums named like Countdown To Extinction - I'm telling you, 90's knew it's going to be bad. And they did not want to lie to you. Gleeful stuff has been left in the 80's, though even then the grim outlook already started to appear. Mostly in literature, as literature always seem to be the first thing that enters the new cultural outlook.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
The Matrix - the most gleeful and optimistic movie about awesome future.
The Battle Of Los Angeles - fun music album, the name alone tells you how awesome it is going to be.

No, really what are those gleeful and optimistic movies? That kind of sci-fi and fiction pretty much died in the 80's, 90's is a great illustration of how the whole culture pretty much felt that it was on its dying breaths and therefore became very grim. Aside from several solid comedies like Friday or Ace Ventura, pretty much the whole 90's are dark thrillers and bloody action movies, with just couple exceptions like Toy Soldiers and Last Action Hero. And when it comes to the future, it is Event Horizon, eXistenZ, Escape From L.A., Judge Dredd, Screamers, Gattaca and Hardware. Hardly any of those are anyhow optimistic. The only one that somewhat gleeful is Space Truckers, but even that is... not easy to call an optimistic one.
Even movies that try to be bright, like Dragonheart, end on a solemn note in the 90's. And the gems of the decade are movies like Falling Down, which pretty much explain the whole outlook of the 90's about the world.

Top it off with music albums named like Countdown To Extinction - I'm telling you, 90's knew it's going to be bad. And they did not want to lie to you. Gleeful stuff has been left in the 80's, though even then the grim outlook already started to appear. Mostly in literature, as literature always seem to be the first thing that enters the new cultural outlook.
I guess you're just kinda miserable by default

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I guess you're just kinda miserable by default
So... no real answer. Just as I've expected, mr. Modern Munchausen.
For once I've thought you could actually recommend me some new movies to watch, but, alas.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Alice N Chain

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure what the last "good year" is, but does anyone else feel like finishing school around 2013-2015 was the academia equivalent of "last to get to the helicopter to escape the war"? I'm probably biased since that's around when I graduated High school, but after that was when the internet and smart-tech was starting to become suffocating and have too much influence over our lives.

College is shitty enough these days, but I can't even fathom how insufferable high school and even lower grades are now.

Virtual Cafe Awards