The like system should be removed.

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
I hate how the like system has invaded every corner of the internet. This never existed in the Olden Times, and the internet was better for it. Everything written in a community with the like system is either consciously or subconsciously tainted to tailor their message to maximize that dopamine hit that comes with someone effortlessly hitting that button. It's a fucking 'line goes up' simulator now. Whatever happened to, 'Hey I agree with you, thanks for writing that post.'? It requires more effort, it feels more genuine, and it's more like a normal face-to-face conversation. It all reminds me of the shitty tip culture we have in America today, tips are not given as a result of exceptional service, but something that's expected by default. The like system was widely implemented by all big corporations because I have absolutely no doubt that it increases engagement in a big way, but that's clearly not the purpose of this forum. It feels like it was added in because there's no other system that's missing this feature, unless you're maybe running a phpbb forum from 2002.

This place really does feel more like the old internet than really anything else out there at the moment as far as I can tell, but the like system really just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any like system supporters out there? I'd 'like' to hear your take on it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3990

I disagree, but thank you for the well thought out and nicely composed post. As much as I shamelessly adore my reaction score, I never tailor my messages to maximize it or give in to the general consensus to get more likes. I feel that most other users here are also like that.

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Whatever happened to, 'Hey I agree with you, thanks for writing that post.'?
It increased spammy comments and diluted the conversation. Not that it's always a bad thing, but it isn't always a good one

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
too many good emojis that need to be put to use regularly somehow. :pzzap:
:pzzap: :pzzap: :pzzap:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I hate how the like system has invaded every corner of the internet. This never existed in the Olden Times, and the internet was better for it. Everything written in a community with the like system is either consciously or subconsciously tainted to tailor their message to maximize that dopamine hit that comes with someone effortlessly hitting that button. It's a fucking 'line goes up' simulator now. Whatever happened to, 'Hey I agree with you, thanks for writing that post.'? It requires more effort, it feels more genuine, and it's more like a normal face-to-face conversation. It all reminds me of the shitty tip culture we have in America today, tips are not given as a result of exceptional service, but something that's expected by default. The like system was widely implemented by all big corporations because I have absolutely no doubt that it increases engagement in a big way, but that's clearly not the purpose of this forum. It feels like it was added in because there's no other system that's missing this feature, unless you're maybe running a phpbb forum from 2002.

This place really does feel more like the old internet than really anything else out there at the moment as far as I can tell, but the like system really just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I see it more like an emote than a like button. I agree that likes generally aren't a good thing, but I actually really like emotes. Tons of creative things you can do with emotes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm fine with the like system because I like having an easy way to say "I agree" rather than having to make a spam post that'll have the same effect.

And it can be seen as a way for someone to get cheap dopamine but the reward for getting likes on Agora is not as high on somewhere like Twitter or reddit. If you get a ton of interaction on those sites what you posted is promoted to more people, which is enticing to people like attention whores or anyone trying to sell something. On Agora there's nothing that promotes the most liked posts anywhere. Posts in threads are always in chronological order and you'd never really know how many likes a post gets outside of that thread. All you really get is your reaction score going up and a cool sticker, which doesn't really net you any clout because no one here really flexes either of those things (thank god for that).

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I like the like system. I do think it's more useful as reaction system more than anything else though.

>__<

Where is Tiffany Dover?
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't even think of it as a rating system, I just thought it was more like a reaction. Like a way to respond when you don't want to reply to it in a post

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm fine with the like system because I like having an easy way to say "I agree" rather than having to make a spam post that'll have the same effect.

And it can be seen as a way for someone to get cheap dopamine but the reward for getting likes on Agora is not as high on somewhere like Twitter or reddit. If you get a ton of interaction on those sites what you posted is promoted to more people, which is enticing to people like attention whores or anyone trying to sell something. On Agora there's nothing that promotes the most liked posts anywhere. Posts in threads are always in chronological order and you'd never really know how many likes a post gets outside of that thread. All you really get is your reaction score going up and a cool sticker, which doesn't really net you any clout because no one here really flexes either of those things (thank god for that).
Yeah, chronological posting makes like systems nowhere near as evil. I was on forums back in the early 00s that had reputation systems and stuff like that, it's not a new idea.

I don't think I've ever modified the way I post or posted specifically to accrue reaction score on my posts, there's no point. I post purely for the artform of posting.

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, chronological posting makes like systems nowhere near as evil. I was on forums back in the early 00s that had reputation systems and stuff like that, it's not a new idea.
Chronological order for writing makes sense in any time period, only the social media villain has tampered with this way of nature...

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
It's one of the many things that ruined the possibility of having a productive discussion on reddit. Instagram has made improvements to not show the number of likes, I think that could help make Twitter suck less without all the annoying ratioing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
I think the like system is ALRIGHT.

There is no dislike system
No posts will get hidden by being disliked
Highly liked posts won't be any more visible than non-reacted posts

It's a cute cosmetic little thing that I see most on text-walls.
"I see you, I have nothing much to add myself, but thank you for your contribution"

Virtual Cafe Awards

clicked "like" on this before i realized what i'm doing. man.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I remember what forums were like before the reaction/voting stuff, and while they created a lot of monosyllabic "THIS" posts they did draw more verbose reactions out of people than they otherwise would have.

Virtual Cafe Awards