The Matrix Resurrections

I watched the movie yesterday. I would like to read your opinions about it and maybe clarify some doubts. Watch out for the spoilers.
Matrix_Resurrections-220442265-large.jpg

Mr.T

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Even worse then the 3rd one. Lana Wachovsky didn't even want to make it and it shows (not that >she bchmmmmm would be able to make a good movie at this point anyway). It's an obvious cash grab.

The NPC suicide bombing scene was really good though

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. The recasts were awful, they felt like bootleg Dollar Store versions of Morpheus and Smith.
The cinematography was ugly, and the action was disappointing. It looked and felt like a made-for-TV movie that would play on the SciFi channel.
The meta-commentary was not clever, just insulting to the audience.

Virtual Cafe Awards

OneHundredHands

The ending seemed kind of lazy, since they tried to redo the ending of The Matrix(1999), but it didn't work because there was no buildup to it, he didn't become the one, he just became less depressed and had people force him back to reality, he didn't even escape on his own. Plus, there is no indication of what they are going to do or anything, his girlfriend got powers and then they talked about how they were going to put rainbows on the sky without resolving the theme of not wanting to be freed in any way whatsoever.

I liked the idea of it, but the execution was terrible. Like someone else said, she didn't even want to make it, but they told her they would with or without her.

I think what she was going for is easier to understand if you read Jean Baudrillard's critique of the first movie. The famous line from his critique is "the matrix is the exact kind of movie the machines would make", basically accusing the Wachowskis of totally misinterpreting his work. She took that to heart when making this movie, and you see it most explicitly in the scene in which the therapist (auditor? can't remember exact title) starts spawning in characters from the previous incarnation of the matrix. Specifically, the Merovingian starts railing against Neo for destroying the old matrix, because at least then we had class and style and now all we have is "Facezuckerfuckbook", or whatever he said. In that moment, we essentially learn there is no getting rid of the matrix; there will always be another version. This is more inline with Baudrillard, because the overarching conclusion of his work, or one of them at least, is that the simulation is inescapable; it just is. But, the opposition to it is still meaningful, because the simulacra do signify something real.

That thread is really the only thing worth chasing throughout the movie. Other than that, there's not much redeeming about it.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Grif

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have mixed feelings about the story. On the one hand, I do kind of like the meta-ness of "Warner Brothers is going to make another game [Matrix] so we might as well be the ones to do it", but it became overbearing at times. Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving not being present really felt like a loss.

One thing I really felt lacking was the action scenes. They didn't hit as hard as the original Matrix. I kind of wonder if Lilly was the more "action" director, hence why the action scenes weren't as good.

I did watch all 3 of the previous movies and some of the Animatrix before this, and man I forgot how good some of the Animatrix is.

I was also bummed that it was all filmed in SF with no Sydney shots, but that's just a little gripe.

Virtual Cafe Awards

substance

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
it was the worst matrix film. none of the fights looked cool at all. there were also too many memes in it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I have mixed feelings about the story. On the one hand, I do kind of like the meta-ness of "Warner Brothers is going to make another game [Matrix] so we might as well be the ones to do it", but it became overbearing at times. Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving not being present really felt like a loss.

One thing I really felt lacking was the action scenes. They didn't hit as hard as the original Matrix. I kind of wonder if Lilly was the more "action" director, hence why the action scenes weren't as good.

I did watch all 3 of the previous movies and some of the Animatrix before this, and man I forgot how good some of the Animatrix is.

I was also bummed that it was all filmed in SF with no Sydney shots, but that's just a little gripe.
Animatrix is top-tier.

Virtual Cafe Awards