the Origin and Meaning of Your Username

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 9706 times.

mine's a long, autistic and cringe story but basically I would roleplay as this undertale alternate universe (AU) character called Temmie but from the Underhell AU where basically everyone was evil so for my name instead of going with Evil Temmie I wanted to be a little original and chose Le Vil (the vile in my native french) I got out of this phase of my life and just kept the LeVil wich sounded cool to me.
Now the _78 part of my name is what people in France used in ye olde forum days of the early 2000' internet to indicate to people where exactly in France they lived since each numbers corresponde to a specific region kinda like how an american could put "cal" or "ma" in his username to show from wich state he was. doing this fell out of style around 2005-6 and isnow considered a tacky newfag thing and became a meme in France but since the point of agora roads is to emulate and recapture the old internet ambiance and aesthetics putting this in my name just felt natural

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
My username is a reference to The Prisoner, one of my favorite TV shows. The main character is a secret agent trapped in a mysterious prison village where everyone is named after a number. They call him Number Six (he never goes along with it,) the head of the village is Number Two, etc. In one episode he disguises himself as Number Fifty-Six using the top hat and sunglasses in the picture I use for my avatar. It's a great show and I decided to theme my Agora account after it in the hope of getting more people to check it out. I was also getting tired of the stock usernames I used everywhere else and wanted to come up with something new. Pic related, it's me logging on for the first time:
newlook.png

The "self-hating bureaucrat" thing was supposed to be a parody of "self-hating Jew." I created this account shortly after starting a boring bureaucratic job, and at the time it felt like I was a natural-born bureaucrat that was doomed to do the same kind of thing my father and grandfather did whether I wanted to or not. If a self-hating Jew is a Jewish person who hates Judaism, then I was a bureaucrat who hated bureaucracy. I've got a more positive attitude towards work now, but I still like the phrase and will probably keep it for the time being even if it might make me seem like some kind of self-loathing doomer gloomer. (I'm not!)

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
My username is a reference to The Prisoner, one of my favorite TV shows. The main character is a secret agent trapped in a mysterious prison village where everyone is named after a number. They call him Number Six (he never goes along with it,) the head of the village is Number Two, etc. In one episode he disguises himself as Number Fifty-Six using the top hat and sunglasses in the picture I use for my avatar. It's a great show and I decided to theme my Agora account after it in the hope of getting more people to check it out. I was also getting tired of the stock usernames I used everywhere else and wanted to come up with something new. Pic related, it's me logging on for the first time:
View attachment 45620
The "self-hating bureaucrat" thing was supposed to be a parody of "self-hating Jew." I created this account shortly after starting a boring bureaucratic job, and at the time it felt like I was a natural-born bureaucrat that was doomed to do the same kind of thing my father and grandfather did whether I wanted to or not. If a self-hating Jew is a Jewish person who hates Judaism, then I was a bureaucrat who hated bureaucracy. I've got a more positive attitude towards work now, but I still like the phrase and will probably keep it for the time being even if it might make me seem like some kind of self-loathing doomer gloomer. (I'm not!)
So that's how it is. In the "everyone appreciation thread" I wrote [still trying to find out where №1-55 are] under your name, so you solved the question I've had since last year

Virtual Cafe Awards

bitterblue

Wasted on the Senate Floor
Reaction score
Awards
My username comes from a minor character in a book I read in middle school. The book was alright but not amazing. I just really liked the sound of the name. Many of my accounts elsewhere have color theming, and I'm kind of a cynical person. So, yeah. Bitterblue.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lynn Filia

What a funky.
Reaction score
Awards
Lynn came from the word "lyn" which means lightning in Danish, which I decided to add an extra n to. Had no clue it was an actual name for years.
Got Filia from skullgirls because I like that game.

Miku Simpson

Woohoo Christmas
Reaction score
Awards
I chose Miku Simpson because I thought it was a really funny ship I made of Hatsune Miku and Homer Simpson. Though I"m starting to wonder if I should ditch it since I do want to talk more about serious things, but I feel like The Miku Simpson stuff makes me seem more crazy than what I think I am.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JuiceMM

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
JuiceMM is a shortened version of my original user, Crunchy Juice, and that basically came to me one day when I was crying and found a picture of a guy being seasick, I found it funny, flipped it over, boom, he's now drinking it instead of spitting it out, and that's how I came up with the name, gross right?:itcouldbeworse::eatmyasslol::youhavenoidea::stayweirdstamp::owostamp:

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
What's the meaning and origin of your username?

mast is a nickname your mom gave me a long time ago.
7Pebbles is a variation of the name of a character from the video game Rain World. 7 is my favorite number.

I'll be taking this an excuse to ramble about the game because it is my favorite game of all time.
Rain world is a difficult game about being at the bottom of the food chain, in a harsh world with nothing but your wits and opposable thumbs to help you.
You are a young slugcat, separated from your family, exploring the ruins of a long dead civilization. Every time you die, you are reincarnated, just like very other living thing.
You like the civilization before you, seek a way to escape the cycle. 5Pebbles is a massive (larger than a city) semi-biological machine (called an iterator) tasked with solving the problem of how to break the reincarnation cycle (like all iterators are). He is something of an ally to you in your quest and meeting him serves as one of the climaxes of the game. I cannot do the game justice here, so please, please go play it and tell me how you liked it.
The artwork is beautiful, the story is amazing, and its an all around wonderful game. Fair warning, it is difficult and I found it best to play it in small doses.

A quick note on the game's technical aspects: The controls may seem clunky at first. This is because the game does not use hit-boxes or sprites like most other games. rather, each creature is a physics-object, with an AI governing how it moves and what its motives are. The enemies are not koopas waiting for you to wander into them, rather they choose wether or not to go after you, if they are hungry or see you as a threat. Rain World has one of the most complex and nuanced npc-AI systems I've ever seen. Its worth a try for that alone. The controls will become surprisingly intuitive somewhere around the time you make it to Shaded Citadel. (Quick Tip: Look for light sources you can carry with you before entering too deep into Shaded Citadel.)

Attachments

• UsernameExplanation_Signature.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 39
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vuzz

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Parody of Buzzfeed back when shitting on them was the current sentiment, so I created Vuzzfeed. Then I figured I liked Vuzz so I've been with that since.

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
So my close college friends and I have a discord group and at a certain point we found this image
1672857729784.png

and we added an emoji called bnuuy. Then at a certain point I completely randomly stumbled across my pfp in a meme and I screencapped the bunny in it and sent it to them and they named him bnuungus. I kind of had to adjust a bit when I made this my username and profile bc bnuungus to me was always the rabbit but I couldn't think of anything else to do when I made an account here

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Empress of the Transburg Dinasty
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
Mine is just my modified real name, thinking usernames has always been hard to me honestly

Virtual Cafe Awards

Angel Machine

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What's the meaning and origin of your username?

mast is a nickname your mom gave me a long time ago.
I saw it in a dream.

as for the meaning, I don't know honestly (it is up to interpretation) but it kinda reminds me of Neon Genesis Evangelion a little bit so I'll go with that(still haven't watched it yet, waiting for the Blu-ray Discs to arrive)

Last edited: