The Personal Web

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
I would have replied sooner, but I spent a few days just reading through the deep web of links and sites.

That's what I love about the internet, browsing through sites, clicking on whatever looks interesting, and exploring new places. I'm several hours in, and I expect I have several more hours of content to read. It's so much more interesting to me than reading through a linear feed of algorithmically recommended content.
Based.
I hadn't really put any thought into publishing or sharing my site, are there any tutorials you'd recommend for creating a blog or feed?
I wish I could be more help there, but my blog section was included with my site theme / template & then Hugo (my static site generator) auto-magically creates my feed for me. I might take some time to learn more about feeds it over the next couple of months because I want to make changes to how mine work / displays itself, but right now (since I don't know) I'd look at what @Lunedgy mentions, which is perhaps considering a generator-like tool.
And is there a proper etiquette for including badges of others' sites?
I don't think so. I believe the majority of people into this hobby just grab buttons from sites they like / care about without even caring for that other webmaster's thoughts on the matter. I personally, collect buttons of sites that have a deeper meaning or connection with me than just "oh, I visited this site once". But your personal approach is up to you, many people don't even like the tradition.
If you want to do things by hand, you can follow the Neon Kiosk specification for blogs and use m15o's automatic tool to get a working feed.
A few things:
1. I've added you and your site to the Agora Road Traveler list.
2. I wasn't aware of ichi ~ I have added it to the projects list.
3. m15o [1 & 2] created / works on quite a lot of personal web projects [1 & 2] and I've updated the projects list to reflect that.
tried, but formatting and css edit sucks (div in div in div in div...) - when i wanted to import css+html i made in editor, it broke whole page XD
(lesson - if google/blogger use div, you cant too)
Porcupine, I am unable to access your site. I was able to at one point in the past, but recently it wants me to sign in to Google. Is that intentional?

Finally, thank you to: @h00 @sizeofcat @Ardea @stonehead for the kind words & encouragement. I will try to get this into the zine :)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Porcupine, I am unable to access your site. I was able to at one point in the past, but recently it wants me to sign in to Google. Is that intentional?
You mean myyolo1999.blogspot.com/p/ja.html? That works. But you can't edit Google site, if you tried that. And I might delete or make concept, I am not aware if which one of many do you think now :/

Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
I'm not @Eden, but I can answer anyway. If you want to do things by hand, you can follow the Neon Kiosk specification for blogs and use m15o's automatic tool to get a working feed.
Perfect, that looks super easy thank you!

Honestly, writing a full blog post seems like more work. I'm not much of a writer, much more of a tech guy. Still though, posting unpolished, amateur writings probably fits in with the ethos of the personal web more than it does with social media.

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
By the way, what if we created a webring with the sites listed in the table?
So, I am not confident in my abilities or willingness for that project. But, for anyone who is, I would suggest reading through Mr. Ray "brisray" Thomas' How Webrings Work (Webring Technology) article and moving forward from there. Depending on which of the webmasters you speak to from the list, I'm willing to bet some would prefer one method over another or may not be interested in participating at all (a webring implies participation from member sites vs. something more akin to a link directory).

In a similar vein, I've recently had the idea / interest / willingness to create something akin to the Awesome Lists popularly found on Github. Basically: awesome-personal-web or something similar. Examples of these kinda lists include:
The motivation arises from that, so far, these kinds of curated lists for exploring personal websites are isolated, disjointed, single-person managed. For example: Mr. Thomas has diligently spent a lot of time amassing his webrings list and the data on them. But he's just one (albeit GiggaChad) man with a life, job, interests. Same for me, in that right now the list is updated here and on my site, but, for how long?

I'm not entirely clear on what I envision, but when it's something so community-driven as this, I picture something more community-managed or at least involved... I'd love to hear what any of you thinks about the idea. :NekoNatsukiHappy:

Edit: Forgot to talk about how I feel uncertain about using Github specifically for this. Big corporations and what-not. But would love to hear alternatives or arguments in any direction.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I am not confident in my abilities or willingness for that project.
I manage the low-profile, low-numbers Italian webring and maintenance is close to zero. In our case, it would be even easier because we don't need a PHP form (anyone can just reply to this thread, for instance, or we can open another one if things become spammy).

Forgot to talk about how I feel uncertain about using Github specifically for this. Big corporations and what-not. But would love to hear alternatives or arguments in any direction.
You may be interested in tildegit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I made some changes to my website: I started migrating my Italian Neocities page to ~team; luckily Zola can somewhat handle multi-lingual sites.
This is cool! Now I have a working Atom feed for my blog.
Since Zola creates Atom feeds automatically, here is the new link to my feed.

Virtual Cafe Awards

xandra

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xandra.cc
this thread is exciting to see! thank you for compiling it, @Eden! some of the work we do at 32-bit cafe is about getting more folks to expand the personal web, and some links here are some good resources for us to link there too (including your personal web exploration post, eden!)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
2023-06-18 Update(s)
Newly-added Communities:
  • 32-Bit Cafe
    • @xandra would probably do this project write-up more justice, but for those totally unfamiliar, they gotz:
    • Lots already + plenty of potential. Exciting!
Interesting, & Ongoing, Discussions about (& around) the Personal Web:
Finally, don't forget to check out / join the newly created:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
2023-07-04 Update(s)

Newly-added Projects:
  • Hacker News Blogroll + Random + JSON + a separate Live Feed Site
    • Hacker News recently had their approx. biyearly personal website shilling session via this "Ask HN: Could you share your personal blog here?" thread. A LOT of sites (over 1,000) were shared, which then inspired some other dude to create the project I'm sharing here. If you want to see that discussion --> "Show HN: Hacker News user blogroll".
    • I have mixed feelings with HN sites. In the sense that I feel quite a few lack "soul". That they're either CV's or someone trying to build (and eventually monetize) a personal "brand". But, we shouldn't generalize like that or keep ourselves from exploring a bunch of hand-made personal sites! You can even search text of the site descriptions. Check it out!
  • Nerd Listings + How to Join
    • This is just your typical site directory / listing. It's been continuously updated for a couple of years now and was last updated in March. Based on the person's schedule, they're likely to update it again in the next couple of months, so consider joining or just exploring what's there :)
  • The Internet Portal
    • Here's a rather crazy one, imagine someone scraping ICAAN, amassing a bunch of domain names & then letting you press a button to randomly end up at one. And they do mean RANDOM, i.e. don't hold me or them responsible for where you might end up, yo. Pretty neat little project, check it out!

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I have mixed feelings with HN sites. In the sense that I feel quite a few lack "soul". That they're either CV's or someone trying to build (and eventually monetize) a personal "brand". But, we shouldn't generalize like that or keep ourselves from exploring a bunch of hand-made personal sites! You can even search text of the site descriptions. Check it out!
I agree: I prefer scanning all of the sites rather than having some removed a priori because they weren't "good enough"

Virtual Cafe Awards

I-330

certified loon
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
i330.dev
Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score