The Shonen thread

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
Please use this thread to talk about anything Shonen! Videogames and other materials included!!
Dragon Ball GIF by Toei Animation

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Reading Bobobo as an english speaker is hard because most of the jokes are untranslatable. Especially a fan translation, where the goal is just to make it readable instead of doing a professional job. But it is a very underrated Shonen if you can get into it. Especially because Bobobo is the ultimate counter to all nerd arguments over power levels.

>Goku
Slower than Bobobo, has no way of killing Bobobo due to his insane regen, has no resistance whatsoever to most of Bobobo's most powerful attacks
>Saitama
Bobobo has better plot hax than Saitama, and it's shown clearly that Saitama has no special resistance to gag abilities, which is Bobobo's whole MO, but even if he did, Bobobo's gaga abilities work on people who resist gag abilities.
>Superman
Even in his "not holding back" form, Bobobo is still stronger than Superman. Bobobo has destroyed entire universes of infinite size and scope, and he has his own domain expansion which creates a universe of infinite size and scope with rules decided by him, and he can take over other domains. Bobobo can attack the mind, body, soul, and concept directly, and Superman can resist all of those things including conceptual erasure, but Bobobo's conceptual erasure works on people who resist conceptual erasure.

1d4c8a95-dbd6-4158-98ca-27d2cb4bc7cb_912x1024.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

AllNightNippon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Reading Bobobo as an english speaker is hard because most of the jokes are untranslatable. Especially a fan translation, where the goal is just to make it readable instead of doing a professional job. But it is a very underrated Shonen if you can get into it. Especially because Bobobo is the ultimate counter to all nerd arguments over power levels.

>Goku
Slower than Bobobo, has no way of killing Bobobo due to his insane regen, has no resistance whatsoever to most of Bobobo's most powerful attacks
>Saitama
Bobobo has better plot hax than Saitama, and it's shown clearly that Saitama has no special resistance to gag abilities, which is Bobobo's whole MO, but even if he did, Bobobo's gaga abilities work on people who resist gag abilities.
>Superman
Even in his "not holding back" form, Bobobo is still stronger than Superman. Bobobo has destroyed entire universes of infinite size and scope, and he has his own domain expansion which creates a universe of infinite size and scope with rules decided by him, and he can take over other domains. Bobobo can attack the mind, body, soul, and concept directly, and Superman can resist all of those things including conceptual erasure, but Bobobo's conceptual erasure works on people who resist conceptual erasure.
Bobobo was one of my favorite manga as a kid, I was always disappointed that the American Shonen Jump magazine would have 3-4 chapters of Naruto but only one Bobobo chapter. I've been wanting to revisit it for awhile now.

But in terms of power levels, can Bobobo beat the ultimate Jump gag manga icon, Ryotsu?
1668820495205.png

Reaction score
Awards

>Goku
>Saitama
>Superman

View attachment 43696
Even tho, the bible is a seinen, i think it is fair to make a comparasion in a fight between characters, Christ vs Bobobo
1668829046253.png

1668829094689.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

I'm working my way through the 1974 Getter Robo at the moment.

It has the usual absurd episodic stories that are common to pretty much everything from that period. The monster-of-the-week plots are comparably above average, though, and it is very often unintentionally funny due to its age. I would call it "so bad it's good", though I do think that it's very much better than many other episodic series from around the era. It's one of the better MotW shows, though I wouldn't put it on the same scale as something like Kamen Rider W.

Reaction score
Awards
Apparently Tokyo Ghoul counts as both seinen and shounen so I'll talk about it!

(Apologies in advance for how scattered this is, I tried to keep everything as short as possible :eek:)

tokyo ghoul GIF by Funimation

I really like Re: despite how much it's shit on.

I think what it serves makes the story a lot more fleshed out, especially when it comes to Kaneki's personal arc as person and how he comes to terms with the traumas he's sustained.

In the OG, we see an already lost boy forced to face a damning fate, one that forced him upon a role as a protector despite he himself being as fragile (if not the MOST fragile) as everyone around him, and in the entirety of it we just watch some kid becoming more and more lost in a twisting path that eventually leads to a bleak "end" where Kaneki resigns to a fate he had likely forseen a long time ago.

In Re:, it takes that boy and tries to piece together what had been lost.

What fascinates me is the route it took with Haise being Arima's apprentice and successor, and symbolizes what I believe to be the path to absolute dark, because I think Arima symbolizes the true fate of Haise if he continued lying to himself and repressing his true identity for a false sense of righteousness that is impossible to achieve. Arima, imo, is the personfication of the red spider lillies—someone that is meant to deliver Kaneki to his damnation as a husk meant to serve as a protector of dead memories—or vague concepts of the people he had once known, who had long since lived and flourished beyond the confines of what he thought would be their stagnantion.

However, that doesn't happen, and eventually Haise returns to Kaneki, and the painted lense Haise once saw through is gone.

(IMO i think this symbolizes or implies the breakage of a fantasy world people who experienced severe trauma live in—a dissociative state where truth is blurred and only the percieved "good" shines through; or perhaps is this to symbolize how childlike Haise was in mindset, which contrasted to he depressed vision of child Kaneki who was fully aware and chained by the reality of the world? Theres so much wiggle room for ideas)

What I really liked was that when Kaneki returned, it wasn't a thing where he was happy or op and healed and bullshit like that; imo, he actually got worse in a sense where he was completely apathetic and callous. He is still fragile, but now in a different way.

As the story progresses from there, I think what truly changes or begins the "healing" is Kaneki accepting all that had happened, and forcing himself to simply become stronger. To, despite of all he's sustained, grow and bloom and become stronger, to still be capable of love and trust despite all he's been through.

Although in the end I think it's cheap to throw in babies as "yeah hes happy and healed now cuz he married Touka and now they have a family!" I think that could also be taken as "Kaneki is strong enough now to where he has opened his heart and feels conpetent enough as a person to have children with someone and love freely despite it all"

Anyway, Re I think wasn't meant to be a thing that just progresses the story, but rather Kaneki as a character, and Kaneki I believe is someone who is meant to serve as a personification of someone with trauma, how the trauma could further manifest and kill, and how at the same time it's capable of receding and becoming nothing but a scar.

In summary: FUCK RE HATERS! ALL MY HOMIES HATE RE HATERS

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Apparently Tokyo Ghoul counts as both seinen and shounen so I'll talk about it!

(Apologies in advance for how scattered this is, I tried to keep everything as short as possible :eek:)

tokyo ghoul GIF by Funimation

I really like Re: despite how much it's shit on.

I think what it serves makes the story a lot more fleshed out, especially when it comes to Kaneki's personal arc as person and how he comes to terms with the traumas he's sustained.

In the OG, we see an already lost boy forced to face a damning fate, one that forced him upon a role as a protector despite he himself being as fragile (if not the MOST fragile) as everyone around him, and in the entirety of it we just watch some kid becoming more and more lost in a twisting path that eventually leads to a bleak "end" where Kaneki resigns to a fate he had likely forseen a long time ago.

In Re:, it takes that boy and tries to piece together what had been lost.

What fascinates me is the route it took with Haise being Arima's apprentice and successor, and symbolizes what I believe to be the path to absolute dark, because I think Arima symbolizes the true fate of Haise if he continued lying to himself and repressing his true identity for a false sense of righteousness that is impossible to achieve. Arima, imo, is the personfication of the red spider lillies—someone that is meant to deliver Kaneki to his damnation as a husk meant to serve as a protector of dead memories—or vague concepts of the people he had once known, who had long since lived and flourished beyond the confines of what he thought would be their stagnantion.

However, that doesn't happen, and eventually Haise returns to Kaneki, and the painted lense Haise once saw through is gone.

(IMO i think this symbolizes or implies the breakage of a fantasy world people who experienced severe trauma live in—a dissociative state where truth is blurred and only the percieved "good" shines through; or perhaps is this to symbolize how childlike Haise was in mindset, which contrasted to he depressed vision of child Kaneki who was fully aware and chained by the reality of the world? Theres so much wiggle room for ideas)

What I really liked was that when Kaneki returned, it wasn't a thing where he was happy or op and healed and bullshit like that; imo, he actually got worse in a sense where he was completely apathetic and callous. He is still fragile, but now in a different way.

As the story progresses from there, I think what truly changes or begins the "healing" is Kaneki accepting all that had happened, and forcing himself to simply become stronger. To, despite of all he's sustained, grow and bloom and become stronger, to still be capable of love and trust despite all he's been through.

Although in the end I think it's cheap to throw in babies as "yeah hes happy and healed now cuz he married Touka and now they have a family!" I think that could also be taken as "Kaneki is strong enough now to where he has opened his heart and feels conpetent enough as a person to have children with someone and love freely despite it all"

Anyway, Re I think wasn't meant to be a thing that just progresses the story, but rather Kaneki as a character, and Kaneki I believe is someone who is meant to serve as a personification of someone with trauma, how the trauma could further manifest and kill, and how at the same time it's capable of receding and becoming nothing but a scar.

In summary: FUCK RE HATERS! ALL MY HOMIES HATE RE HATERS
Read the Manga and you'll hate Re too

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Sailor Mars can beat goku fr fr
Sailor Mars Rei Hino Angry GIF | GIFDB.com
This isn't even an exaggeration, I think every member of the sailor scouts could beat Goku. Sailor Moon is craaaaaaaaaaaazy OP.

Virtual Cafe Awards