The trend of people wearing black clothes

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
This might only be a local thing, but I am curious to hear what are you guys opinions of this. A few days ago, I went shopping with my friends and I made a strange observation. I noticed that nowadays, must people end up being dressed in plain black, usually following this idea:

• Their shirt/pull and pats are either completly or mostly black
  • Those clothes usually feature no logo or writing, if they do it's very subtle and small.
I myself follow this clothing trend since like 2016 or so. According to color theory, black is a color associated with aurthority and sophistications. I think the reason I subconsiously chose that style as a teen was that people would avoid me.

Do you guys think that people starting wearing colorless clothes is just a fashion trend or indicative of a larger thing?

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I haven't noticed an increase of people wearing black. For me personally I like wearing black and grey clothes bc they look better with my complexion and facial structure than colorful clothing does. I also prefer to not have logos on my shirts bc people would always ask what they were and my answer was always "idfk, I just bought this shirt at meijer." So it could just be personal preferences of people around where you live. I haven't really noticed an increase though

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Black clothing is the gangstalker calling card, they're watching you...

And he who wears the black tank top is a savant to be revered.

In all seriousness, as to if this indicative of a larger trend, I really don't know, I've never really followed fashion that closely. I reckon it's typically teens and early 20s guys going for this all black look?

Virtual Cafe Awards
I myself follow this clothing trend since like 2016 or so. According to color theory, black is a color associated with aurthority and sophistications. I think the reason I subconsiously chose that style as a teen was that people would avoid me.

Do you guys think that people starting wearing colorless clothes is just a fashion trend or indicative of a larger thing?
I haven't noticed more people wearing black honestly, but I don't really look at people, so...
Back when I was a teen, I dressed in all black because I wanted to be part of the goth kids, but I noticed and feel many people who dress mostly in black (and it's not part of a style like goth, metalhead, etc) either don't know who they are yet, hide their body, or have in general low self-esteem. I certainly used to be that way, and many teens grow out of their black phase once they hit their 20s. I also feel that in my teenage years, being all black made me stand out somehow, because most kids in my class didn't dress like that, but also disappear in other contexts. Notice me, but don't see me.

Now unless it's my cute black dress or my trench coat, I feel quite uncomfortable dressing in all black, especially with no makeup. Makes me feel like a teenager again, and while I don't like wearing super bright colours that draw attention, unless reasonably dosed, I like to at least add white to my outfit, even if it's just a striped shirt. I generally have my lipstick giving a touch of red at least too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Black clothing is the gangstalker calling card, they're watching you...

And he who wears the black tank top is a savant to be revered.

In all seriousness, as to if this indicative of a larger trend, I really don't know, I've never really followed fashion that closely. I reckon it's typically teens and early 20s guys going for this all black look?
Most of what I have seen is indeed people in their 20s, but I have seen many people in their 40+ wearing black too.

morus

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Black is harder to stain, and harder to make look trashy when no prints depicting a dinosaur drinking beer subtitled "ALCOSAURUS REX" are involved. It's the practical choice for people who can't give a shit about how they dress, but won't put the fact on display - which is most people these days. My german teacher would always complain about this, though the fat bitch just wore flower motifs every day...

Virtual Cafe Awards

HellManMayo

Please be patient, I have autism.
Reaction score
Awards
Black clothes are great. They help you dissapear in plain sight when it's dark (like batman).

I recommend you try wearing black clothes and crossing country roads at night. You'll spook your neighbors and become an hero

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
People have been wearing black since the Olden Times tm (aka the 90s at least). I had a buddy that always used to rock a black trenchcoat in school, until Fucking Columbine happened, then he wrote a scathing commentary in the school paper on how fucked up it was to ban that shit by association after the event. There's always going to be iconoclasts out there, my homies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

power gem

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i've known people who replaced their wardrobe with a set of identical all-black clothes. they said it was easier not having to worry about matching colors and constructing outfits. that's very practical, but it seems a little sad to me, like that Soylent guy who gave up on washing his clothes and ordered thousands of disposable jumpsuits from aliexpress for 5 cents each.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's the NYC resident uniform, and has been for decades. As others have pointed out, it's really more for ease and convenience than anything else. If you have a small wardrobe and limited clothing, you're less inclined to buy clothes that are hard to match or can only be worn in highly specific contexts. This is why the look is often associated with young(ish) urbanites; they don't have the storage space for excessive clothing, and if fashion is not a high priority but they want to look good it's easy to make professional and classy outfits out of black, white, and gray.

Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
ever since I was around 16 every single article of clothing I own is either black or very dark grey. No logos, or graphics. black shoes, jackets, bags whatever. To be honest its just easier

Virtual Cafe Awards

Max Chill

Involuntary Hikikomori
Reaction score
Awards
I mostly wear black when I feel like socializing. Any day apart from that are all but greys, navy blues, or olive drabs. My wardrobe just revolves around those colors.

But personally, black is my mandatory go-to when I go urban exploration even when it comes to my edc bags.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I wear a lot of black clothing. I think it might be a part of a cultural inclination toward nihilism, and, to sprinkle in some vaporwave Marxism, the soullessness of late capitalism. Some people go shopping with their friends for fun. Some go shopping because if they don't get groceries they will starve.

Plus, the ambiguity of the sociopolitical situation of the past few years leave everyone looking for a clean slate. Everyone wants to disappear from irl problems and live online, watch TV, etc. The black clothing choice is just a way to anonymize irl existence without wearing a full on facemask

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Black goes with anything when used as a base. You can accessorize it with any colours. Black used to be difficult to make and was thusly more expensive, but now its ez as pie. I see black replacing white and blue as the new basic clothing colour. Its simply too modular to not utilize.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I love how this thread started as trying to be an analyzation of a philosophical aspect of modern subconscious thinking and it's just turned into fashion advice
Fashion is playing with colors and patterns. There's a psychological element for sure

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fairykang

Cybernetic Esotericist
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone's been black pilled. Whether or not society will collapse before or after the NWO's establishment is the current topic of rumination.

1672947107384.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I've been wearing mostly black forever, maybe it was me who set the trend. The real fashion trend thats on my mind is: what is up with those half-black half-white articles? They look ugly as hell.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i've been monochrome only in most situations for years, but black on its own without white just looks drab. sometimes i wear all white for shits and gigs.

that said i've reintroduced color a lot in recent years

Virtual Cafe Awards