What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

This is the submission thread for the 2nd E-zine! Please use the dropbox linke for submissions and bump the thread with ideas, comments, statements, or just to bump. If you want to submit your stories or whatever you want to the second edition.

This is the Forum where we talk about why we like Forums?

SolidStateSurvivor

Soon to be father of John Titor
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
You have reached the forum about forums.
0ca36be035e2c8c79d6af4543c7a6990.jpg

Forums can be a good time capsule, I'll go to dead forums or Usenet archives just to get a pulse on the prevailing attitudes back then.

Unlike Discord the content of a forum can be accessed through a search engine and isn't buried under everyone talking at once about a broad topic. It's neat thinking a decade from now someone might read through your posts and get something out of it.

I prefer forums because of the ability for users to build up reputation and credibility. While 4chan serves a key role in allowing "anonymous" speech, it enables bad faith posting, trolling, and glowies. Makes connecting with users outside of the site easier as well.

Forums games and collaborations are entertaining, I do think this forum could use a few extra threads along those lines, but I've been slacking on making some decent ones to be honest.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thunderclap99

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Plus, the fact that they aren't guided by upvote/downvote systems and nested comments. A thread can go on for ages instead of dying within a day and never being thought about again, and people are actually able to say whatever they want that comes to mind rather than hiveminds and circlejerks driving all discussion.
This is really an important point. There is less of a need for people just to make quick jokes for attention when there isn't super fast expiration on the discussion.
Not to mention, you can get to know people from a topic. In fact if the topic is specialized enough, it may have it's own community as well.

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I sometimes wish for a forum renaissance where people, little by little, realize what they've lost by abandoning forums and start building them back up. But it seems like that realization will never occur. There could be a push for forums, but thanks to Discord making their own system now, people could just go "bro just use discord they have forums now", putting us into a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk-style situation with corrupt powermods and admins. The paranoid part of me thinks that happened on purpose, to avoid people rediscovering the necessity of decentralization.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thunderclap99

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I sometimes wish for a forum renaissance where people, little by little, realize what they've lost by abandoning forums and start building them back up. But it seems like that realization will never occur. There could be a push for forums, but thanks to Discord making their own system now, people could just go "bro just use discord they have forums now", putting us into a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk-style situation with corrupt powermods and admins. The paranoid part of me thinks that happened on purpose, to avoid people rediscovering the necessity of decentralization.
It would be possible to make a forum renesaince, but one needs to keep in mind that it would be small compared to the insane (and possibly padded) numbers of social media sites.

Two questions need to be answered:
1) What would be the big thing that pulls people in?
eg. What is the Dead Internet theory for this site.
2) What would keep them there?
Forums are infinitely less stimulating, it requires the user finding content to interact with and there is no gamified system telling them what is right or wrong.

• Coffee (Like)
Reactions: wot
Reaction score
Awards
2) What would keep them there?
Forums are infinitely less stimulating, it requires the user finding content to interact with and there is no gamified system telling them what is right or wrong.
Forums are its own reward, like books. If you change the concept to attract the dopamine-starved peoples then the concept is not worth fighting for anymore.

Embrace the elitism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thunderclap99

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Forums are its own reward, like books. If you change the concept to attract the dopamine-starved peoples then the concept is not worth fighting for anymore.

Embrace the elitism.
I didn't had that in mind. I just think you need some people who act like the good neighbor who welcomes people. I used to attend some smaller forums and imageboards and there were those "glue" people who kept people in. Hard to explain. Perhaps it is like how you need to work on any community to keep it working and clean.

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I like forums because they're slow. It's a simple way to take a breather from my usual, hectic life.
Also, like people before me commented, the shared interests help in feeling part of a community.

The lack of algorithm helps keeping forums feeling genuine

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The good thing about forums is you are allowed to do meaningful conversations whereas on social media not, anonymity, you explore more weird niche stuff.

Virtual Cafe Awards