Thoughts about the Metaverse?

eefman

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
100% the latter.
It's just VR second life.

Most normies don't even have computers to use a VR headset with, let alone will buy an expensive Occulus kit.
The interesting thing is that the new oculus is the cheapest (and yet still pretty good technology wise) vr headset out there as of now. While stuff like the vive cosmos is $700 and the valve index is $1000, the oculus quest 2 is only $300, which is as cheap as regular game consoles. The fact that its also standalone makes me think that regular people are def gonna buy it, hell my dad bought one after his brother got one for christmas.
The whole thing seems fishy to me. It feels like zuck is making the price low to incentivize people to buy his tech and join his metaverse, cause once the people are in his world he can monetize the shit out of em and make even more money.
I guess as long as people are smart and dont (literally) buy into his fake reality the we'll be fine, but if they do get ready for the Oasis controlled by the IOI in real life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FlangerFobia

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You best start believing in cyberpunk dystopias. You're in one
1641786163873.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm sort of torn on whether metaverse is a stepping stone to transhumanism or a preview of its final form. If its the former, VR puts people in a temporary virtual environment until technology progresses towards real widespread transhumanism. If its the latter, its a sort of admission of defeat from the people on top where they sort of settle for the next best thing from their transhuman dystopia for whatever reason.

Regardless, the effect is the same. Complete financial and ideological control on a level most people wont think of. The key to metaverse is its centralization. Imagine going to work in VR, getting paid for said work and spending it in VR. You can buy VR land and make your VR life as amazing as you want. Here the entire economy is centralized to one platform. Any dissidents are simply not allowed to participate in society. Ignoring it and going to the real world wont be an option because Gates and others bought up all the land. If UBI is implemented with this its even worse because they could cut you off from all income altogether. Basically imagine every facet of control, media + finance + tech + academia, all on steroids and directly linked in one clean system.

The best part is people would take part willingly. With all the fearmongering about climate change, the retards who arnt having kids now because they're scared of the future will go into VR to escape reality. The poor will go in for the same reason or by being bribed. Trannies will go in because they can make a female avatar that looks realistic and pretend to be women. Eventually there will be financial incentives to go in and the rest will follow. The sales pitch is that in the metaverse you can be anything or anyone you want to be no matter how bad your life is.

If metaverse becomes popular there are no limits to how far the system can go with it. In real life they own everything, while you live in a cube being fed bugs strapped to VR all day. Maybe they'll even invent sensors so you could feel pleasure through the computer or drugs that make the grub taste like fois gras.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
Well lets say we actually think about what exactly the metaverse entails. Is this just the name we are going to use to describe the new zuckerberg bullshit, or is it the blanket term for what may be web3 or even web4 at some point in the future?

I see a lot of people talk about the metaverse as if it is separate from the modern internet, like what we have now will become totally obsolete. like the metaverse is a new different entity. I dont think so. what is more sensible is that the metaverse will be the natural extension of the trends we see now. it may start off relatively secluded but it will eventually meld into the internet, it will fold over as just another facet, and most likely be the primary way a majority of people will be using and spending/absolutely wasting their precious resource known as time while on the internet.

the concept of the metaverse relies on creating relatively seemless transitions between VR spaces. to me, that seems like the only way to get this thing off the ground and being used by a large number of consoomers. as was mentioned before in this thread, its like a bunch of interconnected video games. it should not be all that dissimilar to clicking on links via a browser today. so in that way, it will have to be about as open as the internet is. perhaps we see different meta browsers popping up. corporate versions will come and they will obviously be very sterile and normie tier useless dopamine suppliers, but you'll also have a niche crowd of people hooking up there own metaworlds to the metaverse and these VR servers will be pretty similar to websites. you'll have hidden gems, and lots of surface level shit stinking up the place. but you can be happy chillin in vr with your homies in a nice and shiny agora coffee shop in the neat future.

realistically you probably wont have just one single avatar to represent you, just as we dont today, but rather you'll have a collection of avatars and accounts that some may choose to interconnect in a similar fashion that is done today by linking all of your overabundance of various gay social media sites.

basically, I see the concept as making the web into a giant collection of video games all hooked together in a similar manner as the internet is now. so, for the most part, what this means is that the modern understanding of applications will be fundamentally altered to fit this new streamlined use.

crypto shit and nft's, as retarded as they are, will continue to grow and become pretty major assets to this new iteration on the internet. but I dont think we'll see a true death of the more traditional website either. there will still be wikis, (fake) news sites, video sites, and everything else that is out there now. that market wont ever completely go away I genuinely believe.

realistically, social media is probably going to be what changes the most, which is why zuck is trying to hop on the train now. he can see this pretty clearly. his highly evolved reptillian brain is warning him of the eminent danger to his career. the social aspects of the web will become predominantly taken up by these VR spaces. In many ways they already are as a majority of socializing online happens in online video games anyway rather than social media, its just this will blur the lines between the two even more so. and with these lines blurred, all the big modern social media will either have to adapt or fall to the wayside, because its pretty clear videogames themselves arent going to have to fundamentally change to adapt to this new market. they are the new market (even though games arent new this application of them certainly is).

but just because the net isnt going to be outright replaced by the metaverse, doesmt mean this wont invite all sorts of new and exciting social issues on our death march towards eventual and total societal collapse lmao. will the lines between the offline world and the wired become so distorted that eventually we wont be able to tell the difference? or at the very least we will willfully ignore the differences and accept our hellscape with open arms? sounds like science fiction but I could see it playing out that way while they pump us full of chemicals to make us allergic to beef and scan our brainwaves to determine the best ads to play for us while hooked to the metaverse.

super psyop tinfoil hat time, but if they wanted to "kill" the current internet with some kind of a new widespread virus, essentially a new global pandemic but this time happening on the grid, then they could rush in with several great excuses to regulate and restructure things, and at that point the metaverse could truly be a dystopian nightmare. like,
more so than it already probably will be just naturally by virtue of its mere existence.

anyway, those are my crazy thoughts on this fledgling little hot topic, we'll have to see how this whole thing pand out or if the metaverse is memory holed in the coming years as the cycle of swill is shoveled down our collective gullets.

adios, cowbitch.

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
The metaverse easily has the potential to be bad. Thankfully, it is going to be controlled by a narcissist who will probably cause it to never really take off no matter how many plots of virtual land snoop dogg may purchase. I think that the metaverse is only the beginning of a more open and blatant attempt by corporations trying to use technology to enslave us. The one that concerns me more than the horrible and disgusting fad the metaverse signifies is Musk's Neuralink. If you want a wolf in sheep's clothing, I think it is that very South African and the stuff he is creating.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Atlas Zero

Ghosted by his own doctor
Reaction score
Awards
If I'm being completely honest that promotional video had steam coming out of my ears. So much wrong in one video.

Firstly, the name
Not only is it the new name for our corporate overlord, but it wasn't even original. The term "Metaverse" had been used in the VR community for quite a while before big zucc appropriated it for his massive tech conglomerate. It actually originated in a book that came out much before Facebook. Most in the community have started calling it "The Nexus" out of spite.

Next the over all tone,
The entire video just rubbed me the wrong way when I first watched it and I couldn't figure out why. Until I realized, it was how he was talking. Now I don't just mean like with a lisp or something, it was like he was talking to a little kid. Telling us what's gonna happen like we have no control. And that's what it is. He is dictating our future to us. Telling us these pretty lies about how nice our future in the "Metaverse" will be. In reality its shaping up to be just another capitalist hellscape like the one we already live in.

Finally the the company itself "Meta"
I swear this name change will be the beginning of the end. Now do they not only have a monopoly on social media, and therefore their users information, but now they have a monopoly on cheap consumer standalone VR after the acquisition and subsequent rabid consumption of Oculus and its brand. The quest line of headsets pretty much singlehandedly brought VR into the public eye. And now Facebook has almost total control of the future of virtual and augmented reality. The golden age of VR has ended before it has begun. all that on top the the hellish dystopia we already live in is making the future look dimmer every day.

In conclusion,
Don't let Facebook hide behind their new name. Don't submit to the machine. Its still the same beast it always will be. Can't wait to see how it all somehow gets worse.

Sorry for the rant but I've had some pent up rage for the past couple months I've needed to get out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Arcade101

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
arcade101.neocities.org
Personally, I could see the tech oligarchs leveraging the Metaverse or similar corporate alternatives in such a way that it intends to completely obsolesce the traditional internet, as it were.
super psyop tinfoil hat time, but if they wanted to "kill" the current internet with some kind of a new widespread virus, essentially a new global pandemic but this time happening on the grid, then they could rush in with several great excuses to regulate and restructure things, and at that point the metaverse could truly be a dystopian nightmare. like,
more so than it already probably will be just naturally by virtue of its mere existence.
This right here - I could see this happening. All of the cyberattack happenings could be just the beginning of a conditioning exercise for the transition. "The internet is clearly unsecure, and nowadays everybody has migrated to Metaverse or similar platforms, anyway - shut it down." Plus the argument could be made from their part that the more proprietary nature of accessing the Metaverse (or whatever) is "more secure" against the "Chinese / Russian hackers" than the internet.

It's much easier to gain control when you posit yourself as the aid, the refuge, or the savior.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Hypet-Leathel
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.halopedia.org
If I'm being completely honest that promotional video had steam coming out of my ears. So much wrong in one video.

Firstly, the name
Not only is it the new name for our corporate overlord, but it wasn't even original. The term "Metaverse" had been used in the VR community for quite a while before big zucc appropriated it for his massive tech conglomerate. It actually originated in a book that came out much before Facebook. Most in the community have started calling it "The Nexus" out of spite.

Next the over all tone,
The entire video just rubbed me the wrong way when I first watched it and I couldn't figure out why. Until I realized, it was how he was talking. Now I don't just mean like with a lisp or something, it was like he was talking to a little kid. Telling us what's gonna happen like we have no control. And that's what it is. He is dictating our future to us. Telling us these pretty lies about how nice our future in the "Metaverse" will be. In reality its shaping up to be just another capitalist hellscape like the one we already live in.

Finally the the company itself "Meta"
I swear this name change will be the beginning of the end. Now do they not only have a monopoly on social media, and therefore their users information, but now they have a monopoly on cheap consumer standalone VR after the acquisition and subsequent rabid consumption of Oculus and its brand. The quest line of headsets pretty much singlehandedly brought VR into the public eye. And now Facebook has almost total control of the future of virtual and augmented reality. The golden age of VR has ended before it has begun. all that on top the the hellish dystopia we already live in is making the future look dimmer every day.

In conclusion,
Don't let Facebook hide behind their new name. Don't submit to the machine. Its still the same beast it always will be. Can't wait to see how it all somehow gets worse.

Sorry for the rant but I've had some pent up rage for the past couple months I've needed to get out.
I feel this. It's a good thing something's gonna happen https://www.extremetech.com/interne...d-with-its-antitrust-lawsuit-against-facebook

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
It's over. Big tech finally won. Damn you Zuck.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Descarte Yee

The 4th musketeer
Reaction score
Awards
Can't quite decide if it's the end of the free internet as we know it, or a passing fad that'll evolve VR technology somewhat, but be ultimately pointless.
>end of the free internet as we know it
Already happened

But in all seriousness, it'll probably end up like second life did; the technology to rapidly integrate users into the meta-verse isn't well developed enough to sustain a userbase. That, and the fact it offers nothing new that can't be done on the normal internet. Why would anyone sink the money for a VR headset to mess around with a gimmicky toy?

That all stated, I do think we will at some point have to deal with the looming threat of a meta-verse, Zuck's or not, eventually once the tech for it has matured past its baby stages.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Moon-Watcher777

愛している
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

IronDreamer

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's a horrible possible future where you won't be able to leave your smart city because muh climate and the only place you can actually have property is the metaverse. Of course you won't be free, because if you say something not PC you will be sent to virtual hell or at least islolated from all the people you would "interact" with.

On a skitzo note, I can recommend this video.

View: https://www.bitchute.com/video/HCRQu_DGo18/

Virtual Cafe Awards