Reaction score
Awards
277000109_5438724222805833_2700843790015119060_n.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I have an Index VR headset and VR chat does everything meta does but better and it's not owned by some lizardman avatar of cringe.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Warii

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Right now it looks like a mix between VR chat and Second Life imo and, Zuck is probably trying to create the next big thing so he's throwing money at a big project his engineers can code in hopes of being relevant again.

Its sad our tech dystopia wont have as much neon as promised and will look more like roblox.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Mist Demodisk

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The idea behind the metaverse is the logical next step of the internet, even if the technology to support it is realistically still a decade away.

Though I'm disgusted that the public at large is okay with fucking Zuckerberg of all people appropriating the idea and declaring himself the leader of this transition. Have they really learned nothing?

I don't hold the general public's knowledge and memory to a particularly high standard, but this is ridiculous. I'm going to be fuming when VR office spaces become more populated than IRL office spaces only for the media to herald Zuckerberg as "the trailblazing pioneer whose vision made it all possible".

Virtual Cafe Awards

notetoself

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe a basic question, but what's Meta's big value add? If it's for talking to people virtually, does the 3D avatar add that much compared to regular voice/video chat? They tried tht with VR Chat and after the novelty wore off people lost interest fast. If it's for shopping, well, maybe I could see that interacting with a VR representation of a product might be slightly more enticing than looking at a 2D picture of it, but is the difference that big? Feels like I'm missing something here--just looks like a Hail Mary gimmick from a company whose flagship product is slipping in market share. Why would Meta be as popular as you guys think it will be?

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I own a Quest 2, I was reluctant to get anything Facebook related but shilling out $600 or so for a wired headset just wasn't practical for me. I think there is a way to strip the Facebook stuff out of it now but I haven't put the effort in to find out how to do it. VR gaming is pretty fun even if it is still not quite there. Now the official Facebook Metaverse app on the other hand, what a joke that is. It's like a normie friendly version of VR chat. Occasionally me and my friend just get plastered and go on their to be irritating. Facebook has on call admins that can just pop into your game, take a real time report from other users, and choose to ban you. I got a 24 hour ban the first time I played because I started irritating a middle aged woman over these boomerangs you can throw in the main lobby. Worth it though.

An example of a Metaverse janny in his natural habitat :SoyChamp2:
Although to be fair this guy isn't as bad as the one I dealt with

View: https://youtu.be/jkY6TBH2i0g

I've been addicted to the MerryVRPranksters on YouTube, god bless them for taking trolling to the next frontier

View: https://youtu.be/W_yzEs6I-Zw

View: https://youtu.be/5uoZGS0WwpQ?t=39

Virtual Cafe Awards

FreshSk8r

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly haven't heard anything about it since its announcement, but I doubt I'm missing anything. It just seems like a bunch of vaporware at this point.
Not a completely impossible concept, as so-called "metaverses" have been around for a while, but Mark wants to advertise it as this amazing alternate reality when it's really just a VR Chat knockoff with a big stale corpo's marketing attached.
I guess I should mention that I've never tried actual VR, so I'm not totally sure what the commotion is anyway. I'm fine with screens (or - better yet - the real thing?!), so I'm definitely not going to participate in this sort of activity for a while, if ever. Especially not with Facebook-branded strings attached.

Though, if I ever get sucked into it, first thing I'm doing is closing all the pools.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Though, if I ever get sucked into it, first thing I'm doing is closing all the pools.
There was a half assed attempt to bring the movement to Metaverse, since they implemented these personal space bubble to prevent digital groping. But unlike Habbo Hotel there's a financial barrier to entry and a physical commitment so it didn't really go anywhere sadly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NW_Cryptid

Transcendent Coalescence
Reaction score
Awards
It's just VR Chat for the live laugh love wine moms and karens so they can all get together to bitch through voice chat instead of using the facebook messenger or whatever the fuck it is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FreshSk8r

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
There was a half assed attempt to bring the movement to Metaverse, since they implemented these personal space bubble to prevent digital groping. But unlike Habbo Hotel there's a financial barrier to entry and a physical commitment so it didn't really go anywhere sadly.
Not surprised. I'm sure that any sort of movement, whether for the lulz or to send a message, would quickly get thwarted by the META Fact Checker Thought Police in much the same way Facebook operates.

One other thing I realized is that the whole thing revolves around monetizing an (apart from server space, obviously, but Mark has enough of that) infinitely expandable world. It seems to be the same thing as NFTs, where false scarcity is used to reel in investors - once again, it's not for the people, but for the rich. Meanwhile, the normies lose thinking they have a chance, or lose again by selling their souls to the Zuck by merely using the platform.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Decided to hop into the Facebook metaverse for this first time in a while. The lobby was mainly 20 year olds with a few kids. The best part was they already had a Metaverse janny in the lobby, it was some Indian guy most likely in his mid-20s. Felt like having a damn baby sitter with how he'd just stand nearby and listen in on conversations to assure everyone was following the rules.

But that lobby gave me some hope. Everyone was just subtly fucking with him and doing their best to get on his nerves, making him the center of attention. Everytime a new person joined the lobby we'd introduce them to the metaverse janny and say some shit like he was the creator of this game, and that he promised everyone in the lobby would get free NFTs and crypto.

I really want to know what they're paying these people (if anything)

Virtual Cafe Awards

TRXTR

Classified Personnel Only Past This Point
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
krowznezt.net
Virtual Cafe Awards

TRXTR

Classified Personnel Only Past This Point
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
krowznezt.net
I think it's a horrible possible future where you won't be able to leave your smart city because muh climate and the only place you can actually have property is the metaverse. Of course you won't be free, because if you say something not PC you will be sent to virtual hell or at least islolated from all the people you would "interact" with.

On a skitzo note, I can recommend this video.

View: https://www.bitchute.com/video/HCRQu_DGo18/

Damn, I gotta say: that was one of the best videos I've seen in a while. I've been trying to wrap my head around what the next 30 years will look like for a cyberpunk writing project; this video opened my eyes to how much they are trying to close all of ours. Everyone should watch the video in IronDreamer's post.

Also: Forgive me for double posting.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
advertising for the metaverse has included imagery portraying life becoming sad, dull and hopeless around us, suggesting that we should take refuge in the metaverse to be happy. the resemblance to ready player one is uncanny, except without the freedom to do new things and be what you want and without an easter egg hunt. instead of expanding possibilities of what we can do the metaverse is just moving things we already do to VR and finding the next biggest way to get more advertising information about us. that is why it is going to flop in my opinion - coming out of covid, the last thing people want is to put on a headset to see their friends and loved ones instead of going to see them in person.

the timing of the metaverse is comically bad. it may have been a hit at the start of the pandemic, when people were looking for more real ways to see people and found the interaction over the metaverse to be more legitimate and comforting than a zoom call, but everyone is tired of zoom calls, and that is all the metaverse really is right now- a glorified zoom call that we are being told to work, play and socialize in while the world burns down around us.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcmAlpIp3oM

Going the other direction- just gonna die. No one will ever know or care that I existed...Join me

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP3D0LH_3UU

Virtual Cafe Awards
I can't see me really caring about Facebook's metaverse unless they add legs to the avatar or anime girls..:JunkoLewd:

In all seriousness, the thing I think makes Second Life , VR Chat, and Roblox good or somewhat lively is the amount of creative freedom they give
to their player base. All the wacky stuff you get to see in those places is a plus in itself (at least to me), and Meta is certainly not gonna do that.

I mean the closest they have gotten is Wendy's little ad world, which was kind of interesting but I've played pizza simulators in Roblox that were wayyy more interesting.
Its not even like FB's core audience is all that creative to begin with nor that tech savvy, so even IF they gave their audience that type of freedom (which wouldnt be much because you would prolly only have permission to use Meta made assets or at least meta approved ones.), it would just all go to pot.
That and what Bog said about poor timing

Sorry for the mini-rant, someone probably said this way better than me on the thread earlier, I just wanted to get it off my chest...oOF!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Just to add I CANT believe a million-dollar company couldn't make a VR game that looks better than ROBLOX WITH NO LEGS
(sorry just the avatars being floating torsos REALLY gets me for some reason.):REEEEE:
Excuse the double post

Virtual Cafe Awards

FODTony

ai is gonna like, replace us dude
Reaction score
Awards
While I do see a sort of ready-player one kind-of future being totally possible, I don't think Zuccerfuck is going to be the one to do it. Facebook is too stuffy to be able to create a product appealing enough to the average consumer. Facebook already has PR issues so this push into the "metaverse" is most likely DOA. None of the people I talk to about tech are excited about the "metaverse" and facebook's VRChat copy. I don't think the technology is to the point where we could inhabit the metaverse for long periods of time. Headsets are way better than they were 5-10 years ago, but I feel that the form of the technology isn't optimal.