thoughts on BeReal ?

• Thread starter eve
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1285 times.

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
Apparently this app is somewhat popular among zoomers, what does agora road think of it?

BeReal

i think its kind of gimmicky and is probably gonna be forgotten in a couple of months but seems like an interesting concept.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This app will be dead very soon.

Most peoples lives are boring. The "thrill" of sites like Instagram is the narcissistic element - you can set up the perfect selfie, or the perfect food pic, to farm likes. That's the entire point of social media. Just sending photos of what you're randomly doing doesn't tap into that.

I have some respect for it for at least trying to convince people to be genuine, but anyone who actually wants to be genuine will just put the phone down and go outside. Or, if they want to remain on the internet, will go to a broad range of sites where people are having genuine discussions, like forums, IRC channels, message boards etc.

Cool concept, but they fundamentally misunderstand the core purpose of social media, especially among zoomers. I can see this being useful as a stepping stone, so it might ultimately be a good thing. Some zoomers obviously want a more real internet and less inauthentic narcissism from their peers. That's why they downloaded this app. When it doesn't deliver anything of value, they will delete it and move on to other parts of the internet that are actually genuine, rather than trying to generate "genuine" but boring responses using a gimmick.

Meh, sounds like some trend that's gonna die soon. My opinion is pretty much the same as @InsufferableCynic.
TBH I don't think you can ever be truly genuine on such an app either. People will inevitably end up staging their "genuine" moment.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I was born in the 2002, so i'm totally a zoomer, and such, i don't fucking know about this app what the hell is the first time i heard about it lol, also why BeReal, when you can GET REAL.
get-real-cat.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

SpheralBloom

I'm not a femboy I swear
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
It's a cool enough idea, but it doesn't matter anyway. People would just want to go back to tiktok or something. Because of the already addictive nature of the huge social media platforms, it's all just too little too late. If people are gonna "BeReal", they would meet each other face-to-face. The intention is good, but I feel like people won't care.
View attachment 4c3cfb43-22d9-4d19-a464-f70d6e4e11fe.gif

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
1. Wasted opportunity to call it BeReel
2. I am still struggling to understand the purpose of Instagram stories and Snapchat so when I heard about BeReal I was puzzled.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aeria Gloris

Virtual Runner
Reaction score
Awards
The main problem is that people still use apps in order to "BeReal" instead of just leaving the damn phone alone and interacting more with each other. It's like changing from unfiltered cigarettes to filtered cigarettes to be more healthy. The problem is still there, the behavior has not changed one bit and no real improvement has been made.

Virtual Cafe Awards