Thoughts on IPTV?

kantraa

bee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xwave.neocities.org
Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously. As a result, a client media player can begin playing the content (such as a TV channel) almost immediately. This is known as streaming media.
I think it's a neat little way to escape streaming services. I mean you have piracy but this it's still nice knowing you don't need a VPN that completely throttles your speeds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kantraa

bee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xwave.neocities.org
1: You don't need to pay
2: It's not geo-locked or limited to specific shows, you can view TV channels from all around the world

Virtual Cafe Awards

kantraa

bee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xwave.neocities.org
A more realistic use case for IPTV would be a channel you really wanna watch not being included in your cable plan. You wanna watch that one channel that nobody knows about but you don't wanna shill more money out to Dsmart either? IPTV ıs here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
2: It's not geo-locked or limited to specific shows, you can view TV channels from all around the world
What confuses me, though, is that people said the same thing about streaming. "Cable you don't have to pay for", "You can get content from all around the world". But then, big corporations stepped in and fucked up streaming by making it Cable 2.0.

What about IPTV will prevent something like that from making it Cable 3.0? And on top of that, people can host their own streaming services with apps and protocols like PLEX or EMBY, which has allowed people like me to stream geo-unlocked content to anyone I want to, for free. What does IPTV do differently?

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Somebody has to stream it though. And I assume they're going to want to get paid for their bandwidth.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Afaik IPTV directly streams TV channels through the internet and there is no "central provider". It's a protocol.

There is a good article about this: https://www.muvi.com/blogs/what-is-iptv-how-iptv-works.html
"IPTV is a system where digital television service is delivered to the subscriber through Internet protocol technology via the medium of broadband or internet connection.

It is slightly different from digital video that is accessed by millions of users on sites or apps like YouTube or Netflix, but it shares quite a bit of the same ubiquitous, pervasive nature. Also unlike standard cable or satellite connection, in IPTV multiple TV sets can use a single subscription within a home."

I'm out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kantraa

bee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xwave.neocities.org
I can't really explain it.

Yes, IPTV can be used to make streaming services, Yes, it can be used for commercial purposes. Of course it can. It's a protocol. That's all IPTV itself is.

There are numerous IPTV clients for desktop, which are completely free.
It's my fault that I shared that article before reading much of it. I couldn't find much info online about IPTV because it's a rather niche thing.
Here is a better article that explains it in a non-commercial way: https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-iptv-works.html

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
Sounds interesting, commenting to come back later

Virtual Cafe Awards