Thoughts on Mastodon

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Now that Twitter is officially NOT coral, what are your thoughts on the new social network all the cool kids are going to?

Personally, just closed my Twitter account and opened an account on mastodon.online. It seems OK, a little bit slow but that's a good thing.

Do you have any experience with Mastodon? Is it Gen-Z usenet groups or something? Do you recommend any particular server? How about running your own?

Virtual Cafe Awards

brainlvst_b0xcutter

Mental Asylum Escapee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
brainlvss.space
I've only heard it mentioned a few times. It seems kinda neat from a technical perspective, but I don't see it catching on. Most people don't care about decentralization or privacy or algorithms, they just want to see memes or talk about video games or whatever. I don't really think there's enough buy-in for average user to stop logging into twitter or tiktok and start logging into mastodon. Hopefully it will inspire future projects which are based on an open source & decentralized model, because I think that the current social media / app paradigm is super uninspired and anti consumer. Every platform is primarily just an ad CDN, with a central feed of mass generated content just palatable enough to get people to see advertisements.

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I thought this was going to be a thread about the band. Oh well.

View: https://youtu.be/bpoAcXu65TM

Anyway places like Twitter/instagram are just too populated for any alternatives to get mass adoption, regardless of the technology behind them

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I thought this was going to be a thread about the band. Oh well.

View: https://youtu.be/bpoAcXu65TM

Anyway places like Twitter/instagram are just too populated for any alternatives to get mass adoption, regardless of the technology behind them

I thought it was about the animal when i read the title.
1657702839347.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4579

The only thing I know about it is that truth social took some open-source code from it and then proceeded to make their platform not open-source which is a no no.
Depends on the license. BSD licenses usually allow this while GPL licenses don't.

Enforcing these licenses is also a separate matter.

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Technology of it is neat. Same hard social problems that twitter has. Plus because it's more "underground" it attracts the more extreme worthless assholes who got banned from twitter and the like. What's next? Well you've already seen it, tiktok was the previous big one that came up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
Technology of it is neat. Same hard social problems that twitter has. Plus because it's more "underground" it attracts the more extreme worthless assholes who got banned from twitter and the like. What's next? Well you've already seen it, tiktok was the previous big one that came up.
Yeah, this confuses me a lot too. While maybe there's good reasons to want a decentralized space. All of the services who do that don't even try to challenge what these services are. They essentially are just a different variant of the previous one. Why doesn't anyone build a social media that's goes against addicting behaviour? I know only one and I used it few years ago. It's called Slowly and it's a digital pen pal app that I fully recommend. But still, that's one service out of hundred.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I found one good instance so I signed up for it.

It seems to vary in quality by instance but just as RisingThumb said, it's where the people who were either unable to stop getting banned from Twitter or too otherwise insane for Twitter wound up. I remember one of the early instances self-destructed after one of it's admins replied to something with "honk honk".

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
As I said in the initial thread about Elon wanting to buy Twitter (lol):

All the [social media alternatives] have basically pitched themselves as:

"Hey guys! We're a clone of [twitter/>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk/facebook] but without the [censorship/mods]!"

All that does is, at best, attract the users of the cloned platform that have been deemed undesirable by the largest plurality on that platform. Everything on the internet is zero-sum meaning that, unfortunately, an eccentric, pro-free speech billionaire buying their way into control of an existing popular platform is the most likely way to reduce censorship.

I'd love to be wrong, but it seems inevitable that Mastodon is just a different brand of the same flavor toxicity that Twitter has to offer. It is not possible to thread the needle of getting big without attracting normies and the problems that come with them. Every generation has their own version of the Eternal September.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Now that Twitter is officially NOT coral, what are your thoughts on the new social network all the cool kids are going to?

Personally, just closed my Twitter account and opened an account on mastodon.online. It seems OK, a little bit slow but that's a good thing.

Do you have any experience with Mastodon? Is it Gen-Z usenet groups or something? Do you recommend any particular server? How about running your own?

Disgusting, degen, filled with literal pedophiles. Leftest echo chamber. Will not make an account there period.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Also, what does coral mean here? Not really in the twitterverse myself and have never even been to mastodon.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Why doesn't anyone build a social media that's goes against addicting behaviour?
Because a social that isn't addictive is a social nobody uses — users will go elsewhere, where the addicitive tricks are used.

Virtual Cafe Awards
This one is based, but idk, i don't want to use twitter 2 just to say "hey, my fucking cat ate my chicken while i wasn't watching, what a skrunkly"
Nothing good comes out of an echo chamber regardless of affiliation

Virtual Cafe Awards