thoughts on "posers" in vaporwave

I don't think posers are a thing honestly, just in general. I think usually people are just interested in something and don't know a ton about it, which is fine in my book. There's always room to learn and if they don't wanna they don't have to, we can like different things about the same things. Seeing someone enjoy something in a way different from how I enjoy it doesn't bother me, what bothers me is if someone is an ass and I'm talking to them, so I try not to do that. Has nothing to do with like, the concept of being a poser though.

What do you think of when you think of vaporwave elements in products or branding? I don't see it very often but I was really reminded of vaporwave style aesthetics when I first saw ZONE energy drinks. It might be unintentional but it feels like it's similar, they look so cool.

I'm super curious where you've seen it because I really love stuff like that, honestly. I feel like seeing how stuff gets branded is super fun.
View attachment 2981
View attachment 2983
View attachment 2982
These have a very TDR "Ondari" feel to them

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Pepsi (Enjoyment)
Reactions: naa
These look sick! Do they taste as good as they look?
I had one, If you ever had a bang energy drink, its kinda like that. not all that special.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

These look sick! Do they taste as good as they look?
They kinda taste like a cross between juice and soda, more juice or more soda depending on the flavor. I haven't tried many of them though since I'm not big on energy drinks. I want to try the hacker one though because it's goofy and apparently bright red

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You would probably think I'm a poser then.
I don't even listen to the genre and the only reason I'm here is because I looked up "dead internet theory" and was lead to this place, I was so impressed by the design I decided to stay.
Now I'm feeling like making an album of what I assume a vaporwave sound should be like.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I don't even listen to the genre and the only reason I'm here is because I looked up "dead internet theory" and was lead to this place, I was so impressed by the design I decided to stay.
Now I'm feeling like making an album of what I assume a vaporwave sound should be like.
nah your not a poser, but I'd recommend checking the genre out since it seems you might be interested in similar topics already. These have to be some of my favorite albums and they're considered classics in the genre. Check them out if you're interested.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGCEc6j9fRo&ab_channel=VaporMemory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cju6MvJfVRI&ab_channel=VaporMemory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnKQFJihJ8&ab_channel=VaporMemory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2zleGxv7w&t=397s&ab_channel=Sephurix

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

I think staying in a communityspace because you're impressed by the design and want to hang out is fine and good honestly. Shi_dawg's recommendations are really good, great albums and great starting point! this album is also fun and where a lot of people start, so worth listening to.

I feel you, that's sorta how I started. At first I was around for the shock value and the silly wallpapers on Tumblr but eventually decided to give it a shot. I was actually inspired by Sentidos Apuestos "Tacos al Vaporwave" and made an album using references that are local to me thanks to it. Even as a Vaporwave producer for a few years now, I don't really go out of my way to actively listen to what other people make unless I really feel like it because I am usually busy listening for things to sample. That's why really, there's nothing wrong with loitering.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
nah your not a poser, but I'd recommend checking the genre out since it seems you might be interested in similar topics already. These have to be some of my favorite albums and they're considered classics in the genre. Check them out if you're interested.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGCEc6j9fRo&ab_channel=VaporMemory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cju6MvJfVRI&ab_channel=VaporMemory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2zleGxv7w&t=397s&ab_channel=Sephurix

Hiraeth is ナイス
I like the sound of vaporwave but I can't stand the vocals, they're so cringey and zoomery.
it would be better with like, teenage female vocals kinda whispered voice with reverb, faded off into the distance.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CD-wrong

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think posers are a thing honestly, just in general. I think usually people are just interested in something and don't know a ton about it, which is fine in my book. There's always room to learn and if they don't wanna they don't have to, we can like different things about the same things. Seeing someone enjoy something in a way different from how I enjoy it doesn't bother me, what bothers me is if someone is an ass and I'm talking to them, so I try not to do that. Has nothing to do with like, the concept of being a poser though.

What do you think of when you think of vaporwave elements in products or branding? I don't see it very often but I was really reminded of vaporwave style aesthetics when I first saw ZONE energy drinks. It might be unintentional but it feels like it's similar, they look so cool.

I'm super curious where you've seen it because I really love stuff like that, honestly. I feel like seeing how stuff gets branded is super fun.
View attachment 2981
View attachment 2983
View attachment 2982
I'm a huge sucker for this kinda of branding, I'm generally really glad to see design branching out from the minimalistic trend @Vaporweeb talked about early. I honestly don't see it too much out in the wild, but I do think as millennials and gen-z take up more leading roles in commercial industries we'll see more of this. leadership skews older and less risk taking so you only really see this kinda stuff in smaller companies.

One example I -did- see that felt like it was co-opting vaporwave-esque aesthetics was the C*l*A rebrand (could be argued that it's more of a general music festival vibe, but I think it has elements I see in certain parts of the scene). It really pissed me off because visually kinda liked it, but morally it just grossed me out and made me mad. Given the history of vaporwave and its relationship to capitalism, both as a critique and response to, seeing the aesthetics get adopted by an organization that's so linked with perpetuating capitalism through destabilization and violence... feels odd.

CIA_REBRAND_3.jpeg

Also as a logo this design is shit good luck printing those fine lines at small size. Does it work in reverse?? fuckin wreck'd lmao i hate this goddamn rebrand so much

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deepwaterjew

Young prophet
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a huge sucker for this kinda of branding, I'm generally really glad to see design branching out from the minimalistic trend @Vaporweeb talked about early. I honestly don't see it too much out in the wild, but I do think as millennials and gen-z take up more leading roles in commercial industries we'll see more of this. leadership skews older and less risk taking so you only really see this kinda stuff in smaller companies.

One example I -did- see that felt like it was co-opting vaporwave-esque aesthetics was the C*l*A rebrand (could be argued that it's more of a general music festival vibe, but I think it has elements I see in certain parts of the scene). It really pissed me off because visually kinda liked it, but morally it just grossed me out and made me mad. Given the history of vaporwave and its relationship to capitalism, both as a critique and response to, seeing the aesthetics get adopted by an organization that's so linked with perpetuating capitalism through destabilization and violence... feels odd.

View attachment 3312

Also as a logo this design is shit good luck printing those fine lines at small size. Does it work in reverse?? fuckin wreck'd lmao i hate this goddamn rebrand so much
how evil can a logo look like? I haven't seen one more like this

Virtual Cafe Awards

spaziotempo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think I've ever actually seen anything that seemed explicitly inspired by Vaporwave, definitely seen synthwave/Outrun used though. Do you have any examples?
Not him, but in my country there's this old, super popular citrus drink called Tassoni and they used to air this advert all the time:

View: https://youtu.be/f0LepxlXbkQ

When vaporwave first started to gain traction here, that drink somehow became the symbol of the Italian side of the genre, with people putting the drink in pretty much every vaporwave pic and meme and sampling the jingle in their songs.
The company noticed it and started adopting the aesthetic for their own advertisements, even making this annual contest called Tassoniwave in which people send them vaporwave-related art that includes either the drink or the jingle, among other things. Pic related, from this year's contest
IMG_20211103_082244.jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
These are very aesthetically pleasing. oh dear, now depending on what the ingredients are I might fall victim to their marketing...

Edit: aww you can only buy it at import prices, $5 a can :(

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

14-27

Really? This is what you are going with?
Reaction score
Awards
A poser is defined as somebody who acts a certain way to impress others, many times in a manner that could be considered dishonest. I've seen discussions about this sort of thing in other communities but I've never really heard anything from this community, which isn't because vaporwave isn't without its share of posers. whether you see it as a problem or not, you can see, especially with the rise of tiktok that people will commonly copy vaporwave style art for clout without taking part in the community or regarding the origin or culture of it. You can also see distinct vaporwave elements in promotions for products. both of these can come off as cringey to a person that may know more about the topic than the person or entity copying the style as a means to attract attention.

note that I don't necessarily think this is a bad or good thing, I just want to bring this up as its something people tend to feel strongly about and its not often discussed.
Can you go ahead and name some names. There is not enough wild accusation being flung around lately. So, would you kindly kick the hornets nest?

Virtual Cafe Awards