Time is Fuzzy

Reaction score
Awards

classic film time GIF by Warner Archive

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Time is an interesting an ethereal thing

I had an LSD trip where I meant entities (insert your own name for them as you wish, angels, aliens, gods, not important lol) and they explained that they invented linear time so humans can learn lessons from the past. with no linear time, there are no memories or history. without these things, humanity is up shit creek without a paddle

Lately the way I've experienced this is through the "slow time" and that occurs in periods of boredom or psychic despair. Check the clock, check it again, one more look, oh only 1 minute has passed. Only 6 hours and 59 minutes til I can at least go to sleep and dream. 6'58"...6'57"...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

classic film time GIF by Warner Archive
Nietzsche's eternal recurrence really resonates with me. Most phenomena in this world, I believe, can be deduced down into simple parts repeated in an infinite variety of ways which depend on the infinite interactions of things. Time is subjective too, as one grows older the old adage of time flies by makes sense because our reference point of what a certain period of time (a week, a month etc) changes as we grow older because we've experienced a lot of it, whereas when we are young a month feels long. I forget the exact term for the phenomena, but it's the most accessible way to explain the subjectivity of time.

Deleted member 2040

Lately the way I've experienced this is through the "slow time" and that occurs in periods of boredom or psychic despair. Check the clock, check it again, one more look, oh only 1 minute has passed. Only 6 hours and 59 minutes til I can at least go to sleep and dream. 6'58"...6'57"...
When we focus on things, time actually feels longer. Much like awaiting the release of something; the final day or so seems to drag it heels! With more experience meditating, it too happens, as with learning something new.

When we focus on things, time actually feels longer. Much like awaiting the release of something; the final day or so seems to drag it heels! With more experience meditating, it too happens, as with learning something new.
I agree, although I don't meditate. Not out of disagreement just never got into it. Do you? It's weird though, when I focus on something I enjoy like coding time also flies by.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Gotta have something to do with the double slit experiment type phenomena. Since there is no day or night without photons to contrast them. When time is looked at the photons do what you'd expect from time, when you dont focus on time it is allowed to do quantum interference which could possibly speed up the perception of time.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Gotta have something to do with the double slit experiment type phenomena. Since there is no day or night without photons to contrast them. When time is looked at the photons do what you'd expect from time, when you dont focus on time it is allowed to do quantum interference which could possibly speed up the perception of time.
Oh no we've hit quantum! This is a serious question: Do we really know *anything* about our reality? Is this all a big charade? I mean we measure our reality and produce "laws" of physics or what have you, but those are only based on our ability to perceive. Where is the bottom? Probably far beyond what our senses can even detect :S

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Oh no we've hit quantum! This is a serious question: Do we really know *anything* about our reality? Is this all a big charade? I mean we measure our reality and produce "laws" of physics or what have you, but those are only based on our ability to perceive. Where is the bottom? Probably far beyond what our senses can even detect :S
Love me some quantum. maybe our perception is the best our evolution could do thus far. Its probably a trade off of things you need to see to survive and things you don't. Like the spectrum bees see is essentially their version of our reality but adjusted to their needs and vice versa. Dogs may see mainly with scent. The Great Grey owl has two sets of ears; one for low freq and one for high freq. they use it to hear underneath the snow and can know where prey is up to 6 inches under.

and to more of that point, anyone who has taken hallucinogens experiences yet another version of reality free from survival "governors".

Virtual Cafe Awards
Love me some quantum. maybe our perception is the best our evolution could do thus far. Its probably a trade off of things you need to see to survive and things you don't. Like the spectrum bees see is essentially their version of our reality but adjusted to their needs and vice versa. Dogs may see mainly with scent. The Great Grey owl has two sets of ears; one for low freq and one for high freq. they use it to hear underneath the snow and can know where prey is up to 6 inches under.

and to more of that point, anyone who has taken hallucinogens experiences yet another version of reality free from survival "governors".
Do you think there's anything "to" hallucinogens?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I agree, although I don't meditate. Not out of disagreement just never got into it. Do you? It's weird though, when I focus on something I enjoy like coding time also flies by.
Yes, I've been meditating for many years, though on and off. There are so many different ways to meditate, but I normally practice 4 different ways. Some practices don't require you to focus on anything at all, mindfulness typically aims to simply be aware rather than focus.

Deleted member 2040

ooh, that's a whole different can of worms. Tbh I'm not that interested in physics and anything math heavy. I'm more interested in the inner universe and using tools like biology and psychology and all its related sciences to understand what I feel is the ultimate phenomena (or not, depending on what you believe in), which is the self. In other words, I focus on the within than the without. Anything quantum physics or super mathematical, I have not the slightest inkling of lol.

Deleted member 2040

Do you think there's anything "to" hallucinogens?
Interestingly enough there are geometric patterns called form constants which are extremely interesting little group of patterns humans perceive under altered states of consciousness, not just under the influence of psychedelics but also under severe stress, periods of extreme hunger/thirst or severe insomnia, and even twilight states between sleep and waking.

Form Constant - Wikipedia

Deleted member 2040

Also, on a tangent, do you have any experience with coding with Postgres? If so, can you recommend any beginner tutorials? I've begun using this in my work, and to me programming is absolutely antithetical to how my mind works... :confusedMikasa:

Reaction score
Awards
ooh, that's a whole different can of worms. Tbh I'm not that interested in physics and anything math heavy. I'm more interested in the inner universe and using tools like biology and psychology and all its related sciences to understand what I feel is the ultimate phenomena (or not, depending on what you believe in), which is the self. In other words, I focus on the within than the without. Anything quantum physics or super mathematical, I have not the slightest inkling of lol.
I feel ya, If I may be allowed to persuade(speech +10). the mathematics of physics is merely a way to test violations on certain theory's, hypothesizes, laws, etc. Math being an impartial sounding board. the concepts derived from math are fun and require no math to add them into your scientific lexicon. Double slit experiment is one of those fun ones that talk about the curious personality of light (photons). without light, our perception of reality and life itself may not exist.

I have this N O S T A L G I C ass video explaining it with no math really and it explains why it relates to my contention.

View: https://youtu.be/Q1YqgPAtzho

enjoy! its a fun one.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Also, on a tangent, do you have any experience with coding with Postgres? If so, can you recommend any beginner tutorials? I've begun using this in my work, and to me programming is absolutely antithetical to how my mind works... :confusedMikasa:

I have used various SQLs in my career so I have some familiarity. I don't really know of any good resources but the website probably has some learning links and there are things like codeacademy.com and the like. Are you in a position to use an object relational mapper (ORM) like ActiveRecord (Ruby language) to make queries easier?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I have used various SQLs in my career so I have some familiarity. I don't really know of any good resources but the website probably has some learning links and there are things like codeacademy.com and the like. Are you in a position to use an object relational mapper (ORM) like ActiveRecord (Ruby language) to make queries easier?
I'm sorry, I have no idea what those are... I've begun to code a little over a month ago with a non programming/mathematics background. I'm also very very limited with what programs (pretty much anything downloadable) I can and cannot use. I hope this helps?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what those are... I've begun to code a little over a month ago with a non programming/mathematics background. I'm also very very limited with what programs (pretty much anything downloadable) I can and cannot use. I hope this helps?

Sure. Here would be a good place to start: https://www.postgresqltutorial.com/

If you need more basic than that I would recommend googling "beginner SQL" which will cover what a database is, what a table is, etc.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a message!

Let's see how time flows around your learning :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Sure. Here would be a good place to start: https://www.postgresqltutorial.com/

If you need more basic than that I would recommend googling "beginner SQL" which will cover what a database is, what a table is, etc.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a message!

Let's see how time flows around your learning :)
Thank you for this! I appreciate your help! As I'm going through this, time has decided to become painfully slow as I scratch my head and ponder over the mistakes I made in Postgres :JigglyThump:

Deleted member 2040

I feel ya, If I may be allowed to persuade(speech +10). the mathematics of physics is merely a way to test violations on certain theory's, hypothesizes, laws, etc. Math being an impartial sounding board. the concepts derived from math are fun and require no math to add them into your scientific lexicon. Double slit experiment is one of those fun ones that talk about the curious personality of light (photons). without light, our perception of reality and life itself may not exist.

I have this N O S T A L G I C ass video explaining it with no math really and it explains why it relates to my contention.

View: https://youtu.be/Q1YqgPAtzho

enjoy! its a fun one.

Ah thank you for refreshing my memory! I recall this being a big deal in my Chem 101 class, but we weren't even tested on it. It also came up in a Physics 200 class, but the same case too. I use some math in my job, but anything Multivariable Calculus, Matrices, Linear algebra and beyond and it becomes an alien language to me...