What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

Toilets in public restrooms potentially spying on you for nefarious purposes

EzzyCrafts

Specimen 1.0-C
Reaction score
Awards
Y'know those toilets in public spaces like schools and restaurants that automatically detect when to flush itself depending on various factors

I have noticed that various toilets in public spaces that I frequently go to don't seem to flush themselves UNTIL I zip up.
Even if you're standing completely still, it would not do anything UNTIL you would zip up.
^ This also occurs with various stalls too at the same space

This is clearly pretty spooky, as it is perfectly within possibility that restrooms in public spaces, especially schools are actually silently taking recordings of people and children using restrooms and selling it to various dark industries and for nefarious purposes.

Toilets that are "motion" detecting would have to identify whether the motion is coming from something that's actually using the restroom, or it would flush when random things (bugs, doors) go by. Opening doors to these restrooms do not trigger the "motion" detection, therefore I suspect for it to be using some sort of AI.

anyone have any opinions on this subject? I've been thinking about this for weeks and have wanted to post about this here but I'm not too sure about if I'm over-reacting or not

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fairykang

Cybernetic Esotericist
Reaction score
Awards
Its an infrared motion detector. That little black square on it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
This assumes:

* That there's an AI which can detect whether your trousers are zipped
* That someone is invested enough in knowing whether your trousers are zipped
* That people working on this have never talked about it

or

* There are people hired to watch cameras to know when your trousers are zipped
* That these people congregate secretly to do their work
* That people working on this have never talked about it

What data do you think they're gathering from a video of the back of your head and your butt cheeks?

Virtual Cafe Awards

EzzyCrafts

Specimen 1.0-C
Reaction score
Awards
That it could be automatically taking screenshots and selling them, or something

either way it's still a bit strange

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
That it could be automatically taking screenshots and selling them, or something

either way it's still a bit strange

If only I, as a billionaire, could find some easier way of getting less-blurry sexual photographs of people shitting than setting up public camera in establishments owned by multiple different companies and paying for the development of an AI that tracked people pulling up their trousers... hrmmm...

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
If only I, as a billionaire, could find some easier way of getting less-blurry sexual photographs of people shitting than setting up public camera in establishments owned by multiple different companies and paying for the development of an AI that tracked people pulling up their trousers... hrmmm...
it's not about the quality of the photos. it's the fact that you made it work. please grace us with more of your inventions, punp

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
it's not about the quality of the photos. it's the fact that you made it work. please grace us with more of your inventions, punp

There is a certain thrill about seeing something that was not intended to be seen. I once saw a website that showed all the default videos uploaded to youtube. Stuff like their kid's soccer game, or a video of a glass of water. Just really mundane things that were snapshots of things happening in the world. I could see the appeal of visual kleptomania

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aral Khanym

Steppe Dweller
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city
omg, the evil WEF toilets spying on you, you vill eat ze bugs, you vill live in ze pod, and you vill own nothing and be happy, or else... and I VILL VATCH YOUR BUTT!

I think it's sensors though, not a camera

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
The motion sensors user infrared to detect the distance you ar from the toilet. And each one batch is different, they don't give a damn about calibration.
You ever have one flush when you lean forward on the toilet? You lean back a little when zipping up your pants? Its all a trigger.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I'm taking the piss, but realistically if you want to know if this is the case there are some things you can do:

Test the range for what activates the flush. Usually these things work on the principle of reflected infrared and requires a certain amount of infrared to be reflected (thus avoiding bugs setting it off). Try waving your hand in front of it, try moving near and far from it.

Try recording it with your phone to see if it lights up on the phone camera. You can try this with an infrared remote - your phone can 'see' infrared and will show the bulb on the front of your remote lighting up.

You could also try vandalising the thing and identifying the parts, but I wouldn't recommend this because public toilets are an important service, and fancy flushes aren't going to be quickly replaced.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Containment Chat
Rules Help Users
  • LOB:
    Why are you meeting old ladies
  • Red:
    why aren't you?
  • LOB:
    I never said I wasn't, it was a "why are you meeting old ladies"
  • zalaz alaza:
    potential new client
    +1
  • zalaz alaza:
    take care of her gardens. itll be out doors so i think will be fine
  • Pangolin:
    Still very cool job though. Must be a blast to be outside all the time.
  • Junious:
    Indeed, the impact will be felt across the entire services economy: and we don't even need humans for their political biases anymore from what ChatGPT will and won't write so far. Then again, as Twitter perhaps shows, only a core of white-collar workers are needed to actually run firms, and the rest can go help rebuild the UK or US army, or such-like. What an irony that would be: the people who patronisingly told blue-collar workers to 'learn to code' being told to become blue-collar workers, because that's just progress.
    +1
  • Pangolin:
    What happens once they teach that atlas bot to do manual labor? It's already good for moving boxes and doing summersaults.
  • Pangolin:
    There's a lot of manual jobs that can be automated. And machines can be built in a modular way to where you could build a bot repair bot.
  • Junious:
    problems is people can run on low grade, easily obtained hydrocarbons (ie sugar water) where as machines rely on refined hydrocarbons and expensive electricity
  • Junious:
    thus energy source versatility and cost becomes the primary factor in who does what
  • Junious:
    and availability, we are entering a new age of scarcity
  • Junious:
    get a robot to run on phytoplankton exudates and crickets the way a human can and there is some hope for ai automation of manual labor
  • Pangolin:
    Ya but it's expensive more for political reasons than legitimate scarcity. They're trying to strangle the fossil fuel industry and failing.
  • Junious:
    they are trying to strangle it because the usa is crossing the horizon of no longer being top dog in energy production since its tapped out everything it has. an energy revolution is required to keep the usa at the top. otherwise the usa is rapidly becoming a second fiddle in a fossil fuel powered world
  • Junious:
    a lot of the tight oil/fracking plays were minimally profitable on an EROEI basis
  • Junious:
    and thats no way to power an oil empire
  • Junious:
    unfortunately one must have revolutionary technology for an energy revolution, and that does not exist
  • Junious:
    you cant fill your tank with chatgpt
  • Junious:
    iykwim?
  • 雨、Some_porcupine、 逃げ出した後:
    if you know what i mean. it is book reference
  • Junious:
    cool!
    +1
    Junious: cool! +1