Toonami was Y2K heaven

YuYuYuuki

Globulous Maximus
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuukitakemoto.blogspot.com
I grew up watching Toonami (and the show it was a spinoff of, Space Ghost Coast to Coast) in the Y2K era. I used to invent my own lore about the characters. I dunno if anybody else had this vision, but I used to think it was straight out of a sci-fi version of a teen movie. TOM was the 16-19 year old awkward dork who only had Sara as a friend. Since he was going thru puberty at the time, and I only knew what I knew from my friends, I made it so TOM's voice cracked, he grew hair in inappropro places, and he was a TEN-POUND WEAKLING. That's because I really wanted to be like Sara, and she never did much in the interstitials and stories. TOM would always whine and complain about things (similar to Debbie Thornberry), whereas Sara did most of the work. I also thought TOM to be much like myself. That meant he liked the Spice Girls and collected girls' toys.

Sara was similar to Ms. Cruz from Ozzy and Drix (another show I loved.) She would often dispose sage advice to TOM and help him out. Since I had her voice actress Sally Timms' albums (they were my parents'), I would always imagine her singing to her lost lover, Swayzak. She sensed goodness in his heart that he didn't like to show.

The Space Ghost characters would regularly make appearances. Space Ghost and Birdman were like Harold and Kumar. I remember after seeing the Rocko's Modern Life "Carnival Knowledge" episode for the first time, I wrote a story where Space Ghost and Birdman devised a plan to steal money from parents of little kids at a local carnival. It was inspired by Trailer Park Boys, a show my parents watched often.

And of course, I was there (aged up, of course.) I was TOM's girlfriend.

My favourite shows on Toonami were Hamtaro, The Powerpuff Girls, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, ReBoot, and Yu Yu Hakusho. What were yours?

I hope you enjoyed reading this ridiculous retrospective. Ja ne!

Can't say I relate to the head-canon stuff, but I definitely had some good memories of Toonami. I was still in elementary school when it was really popular, and my parents wouldn't let me stay up late. But I watched Naruto religiously, and I would often get up at 5 or 5:30 just so I could watch Inuyasha. Occasionally I would catch episodes of Zatch Bell and Dragon Ball Z, and on really rare occasions I would be lucky enough to watch Yu Yu Hakusho.

I forget if it was Toonami or part of Cartoon Network's line up, but I really liked Code Lyoko as well

Virtual Cafe Awards

selfKaiHarness

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
God i fuckin' miss OG Toonami/Cartoon Network back then. I did have countless memories watching all sorts of Cartoons throughout 2006-2008, such as Codename: Kids Next Door (still an operative to this very day.), Code Lyoko, Ed Edd n' Eddy, The OG Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10 (the original), OG Teen Titans, Puffy AmiYumi, The Adventures of Flapjack, etc. I did watch a little bit of bleach and naruto around that time in 2007 before Toonami a year later would be leaving CN.

I did play a lot of flash/shockwave games of Cartoon Network/Toonami though when I was like 6 or 7 around that time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

狐 Shrine

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Thank god for Toonami Aftermath keeping the dream alive. I still keep it on in the background when i'm doing other things.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Masonna

Ejaculation generator
Reaction score
Awards
The other day I found some Gundam Wing tapes at Goodwill--fifty cents each! Worth it for the promos on them alone.

Staying up late for Adult Swim back then was also great. I think my favorite show of that time is Mission Hill, but even watching Futurama or old Family Guy felt very special to me at the time. I will also stand by Lucy, Daughter of the Devil as quite good.

I forget if it was Toonami or part of Cartoon Network's line up, but I really liked Code Lyoko as well
I remember that being part of a programming block called Miguzi, but it might have been on afternoon Toonami as well. Then again, I'm not sure if that existed at the time. I remember at some point Toonami switched to just Saturdays. Oh well.

selfKaiHarness

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The other day I found some Gundam Wing tapes at Goodwill--fifty cents each! Worth it for the promos on them alone.

Staying up late for Adult Swim back then was also great. I think my favorite show of that time is Mission Hill, but even watching Futurama or old Family Guy felt very special to me at the time. I will also stand by Lucy, Daughter of the Devil as quite good.

I remember that being part of a programming block called Miguzi, but it might have been on afternoon Toonami as well. Then again, I'm not sure if that existed at the time. I remember at some point Toonami switched to just Saturdays. Oh well.
I forgot that Miguzi used to have a programming block, you know the one with the girl and her slime monster? Yeah, that one. God I missed Miguzi as well, I always thought that once Miguzi was on was pretty cool, even though it was only a brief programming block that lasted for a year or so.

Virtual Cafe Awards

YuYuYuuki

Globulous Maximus
Reaction score
Awards
Website
The time Tom from Toonami officially announced Racism is back on the menu still makes me laugh:

That was the stupid AS Toonami, with American Sara and that dumbass event where she becomes evil. If 6 year old me had seen that, then she'd cry and never watch Toonami again. Plus, TOM becoming evil in the Trapped in Hyperspace game was great fun and they should've paid homage to that by having him become evil instead in that event.

Pasopia

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
When Toonami first started in 97, I liked making cross over head cannon with other media I liked and the shows they featured.

YuYuYuuki

Globulous Maximus
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I somehow remembered the TOM 3 era. My friend Jessica had a crush on TOM 3, and loved that one bumper where he lifted weights. I remember me, Jessica, and another friend of mine named Natasha thinking up a parody of the Beyoncé Pepsi commercial where it was TOM 3 instead of Beyoncé, and BEYONCÉ instead of the guy!!!