Travelers helping Travelers - The Agora Road help thread

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Hello Travelers,
109094099-man-sitting-in-office-chair-on-white-background-posture-concept.jpg

this is the thread where we help each other. Post a request, be it a simple question or ask pirate to do your taxes idk.

My request:
images

I need a good office chair for my desk for both working from home and gaming. I don't intend on spending more than 250€ and I really don't need any gaming chair gimmick shit.
If you got a chair in that price range you can recommend, help me! Adjustable back and armrests would be huge plus, my current cone doesn't have that.

9tgk6up2ltb11.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Gaming Chairs might be a gimmick, but getting one solved my back pain after long hours of sitting down at a computer, so I would look into them honestly.

Assuming that's what you want from a chair...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Swordlike

S = kB logW
Reaction score
Awards
Get a mid-grade office chair with mesh back and bottom and add lumbar and bottom cushions from a 3rd party on amazon. Totally sweet setup and back/ass feels very good. Unless you can afford an aero chair, those by themselves are the BEST office chairs and can be adjusted a million ways.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Gaming Chairs might be a gimmick, but getting one solved my back pain after long hours of sitting down at a computer, so I would look into them honestly.

Assuming that's what you want from a chair...
but I feel like pic related when sitting in one:

adc000491033e9a84f8daa333a8258c9aa-britax-car-seat.rsquare.w1200.jpg

Get a mid-grade office chair with mesh back and bottom and add lumbar and bottom cushions from a 3rd party on amazon. Totally sweet setup and back/ass feels very good. Unless you can afford an aero chair, those by themselves are the BEST office chairs and can be adjusted a million ways.
Got any models? Aeron Chairs are way over what I'm willing to pay for a chair, just checked them out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
from brief look into it a few weeks back it does kinda look like the chair market goes:

shit chairs ($) > acceptable chairs ($$) > maj0r gam0r chair ($$$$$) >>>>>>>>>>>> actually good and not cringe chairs ($$$$$$$$$$)

personally am too adhd to sit in chairs normally, so all the 'support' shit just gets in the way of me. i tried my housemate's maj0r gam0r chair and it was just pretty awful honestly, they clearly want you to sit one way, and one way only and i'm not about that. i've stuck to ikea millberget just cause it has enough room in the seat area to let me sit like a twat - but one of my friends has recommended the bariatric chairs for like 400lbs fatasses, apparently they're not that much more expensive than normal chairs and they're absolutely fucking massive so you can properly curl up in them if you want.

depends what you're after i guess - if you're looking for 'correct'ness or comfyness

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
depends what you're after i guess
I know that there must be one or more affordable(200-500€) models that are above average quality but aren't from any meme designer nor cringe gaming shit.
Something for a SMART consumer like ME!

Virtual Cafe Awards

HellManMayo

Please be patient, I have autism.
Reaction score
Awards
Hykens Staples Chair
1664533445367.png

1. ~$200 USD ($1 million in brazillian playmoney)
2. Recommended by programmers and artists in college everywhere
3. The material degrades with time, but you can use the warranty to help it last past the 5 year mark

Want more adjustability? Kroy Staples Chair
1664534283218.png

1. $260 USD (2 kidneys in Brazillian playmoney)
2. It's the same chair as above, but way more tilt options

<$100
The cheapest solution is to adjust your chair or getting the right cushions so you're forced to sit properly.

Here are some guidelines to think through if you want to spend little to no money

your lower half
1. Raise your chair so your knees bend at a 90 degree angle
2. Hip and knees should be parallel with the floor
3. Back straight! Your back reduces the most pressure on your discs when it's a vertical line perpendicular to the chair
4. Ass goes back. If it's not far back enough, you'll notice slouching against the chair
5. Support your lumbar (lower back or even the sacum, meaning around the belt line). Need something so that it's not hovering against the back of your chair

potential solutionz

1664536430575.png
1664536485213.png

(lumbar and bed pan cushions)

1664536533601.png
1664536567607.png

(just a towel with tape. Everything in <$100 has a cheap alternative)

your upper half
1. Upper arms should be vertical, forearms should be parallel to floor or angled even lower (so more than or equal to 90 degrees at the elbow)
2. Let the weight of your arms rest on the table
-->Best way to do this is getting a cushion so you don't mash them against the sharp edge of the table (see pics below)
3. Wrist should be relaxed, no stress on them from having your keyboard super angled or something
4. Fix screen height so that when your back is straight your screen is eye level (see pics below)
5. Keep screen 25" to 40" away (depends on how well you can see)
6. Reduce head motion as much as possible so your back stays straight and neck avoids repeated strain (see pics below)

potential solutionz

1664537736725.png
1664537707720.png

(table too high for good arm posture? Use a lapboard)
(can be fancy like this or a literal piece of wood)

1664536815591.png

(cushion for wrists)
1664536975676.png

(This tall mutant needs his screen higher)
(Stack books and boxes or buy a pricey adjustable stand)
1664537525372.png

(writing stands prevent neck strain, so head moves very little between documents and screen)
(This one will make you look like a fucking muppet)

Try before you buy

You might be a real freak. You might have a tall torso, short legs, some mix of the two. This means no ordinary cheap chair will do the job and you need something with a taller back or a wider bed pan to support good posture. You might need a lot of support for your lumbar, you might need only a thin piece of fabric. You might weigh a bit more, and the mesh will degrade a lot faster. It's in cases like these that more money and research is worth the investment for a better chair.

Attachments

• 1664536564001.png
    1664536564001.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 1664536762119.png
    1664536762119.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1664536808009.png
    1664536808009.png
    510.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Everything @HellManMayo said is spot on. I spent the cash to buy a used aeron and have absolutely no regrets. Offices will buy them by the dozen and then sell them once the warranty is up at like 50% off or more, even if they've barely been used (think conference rooms). You may be able to find a used one in your budget, especially if you can be patient and check eBay or whatever regularly, but no guarantee. If you don't get one of those, I'd definitely recommend getting a chair that has a mesh seat. It doesn't break down over time like a cushion, and you won't get swamp ass.

Gamer chairs aren't just cringe: they're typically Chinese knockoffs of race car bucket seats that have been repurposed as desk chairs. Which is to say, they're a lower quality version of something that's designed to hold you in place as you take hard corners or get in a crash, not something designed with long-term ergonomics in mind.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Is there anything like the Aeron chair in terms of reputation and adjustability but with a taller back? I like to slump against my chairs and lowbacked stuff just doesn't fit the bill for that

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

I also watched a lot of this guy when deciding how much I wanted to spend/what I wanted to buy. Could help you see what options are available out there and understand the pros and cons. Surprisingly good content considering the topic is literally about as boring as could be.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Is there anything like the Aeron chair in terms of reputation and adjustability but with a taller back? I like to slump against my chairs and lowbacked stuff just doesn't fit the bill for that
They come in multiple sizes - I'm 190 cm and the top of my aeron is above my shoulder blades. The embody (also by Herman Miller) is equally as well regarded as the aeron though, if you really want something different.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
yo im really lookin for advice on how to setup the ultimate halloween party for kids but not you know lame or whatever. So far ive got spooky music and old monster flicks projecting on to a wall. i KNOW you guys arent geezers like me but fun is fun throw some ideas at me

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
They come in multiple sizes - I'm 190 cm and the top of my aeron is above my shoulder blades. The embody (also by Herman Miller) is equally as well regarded as the aeron though, if you really want something different.
good god that thing looks incredible, but essentially 2k on a chair is a bit hard to justify

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
good god that thing looks incredible, but essentially 2k on a chair is a bit hard to justify
As I said elsewhere in this thread, the key is to buy used in good condition from an office re-seller. Don't remember exactly how much I paid, but for a "fully loaded" aeron it cost me less than half of a new, base model. You can usually tell from pics in listings from trustworthy sellers just how "used" something really is.

For people that spend 8+ hours per day in the same chair, it's definitely worth it. It's like buying a bed - buy once, cry once, because in the long run you're better off with the high quality stuff.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
yo im really lookin for advice on how to setup the ultimate halloween party for kids but not you know lame or whatever. So far ive got spooky music and old monster flicks projecting on to a wall. i KNOW you guys arent geezers like me but fun is fun throw some ideas at me
In my experience, people vastly underestimate the effect of lighting when planning parties. Want it to be fun and cool for any age? Absolutely ZERO overhead lighting, and minimize direct light. Try to setup lamps so that the light reflects off of walls or passes through something before you see it (like a punch bowl). If this is too challenging, just do your best to make sure all lighting is at or below eye level. Bonus points if you add in colored lighting appropriate for the situation, like purple, orange, or green, which can also be done by draping tissue paper, bandanas, or other thin material over light fixtures that don't get too hot.

Beyond that, use the highest quality speakers you can and play music at a level that's near conversational volume so that people can hear each other but also enjoy the music. If they're old enough to have adult-like socialization at parties, try to set up more than 2 "landing zones" where smaller groups can congregate to facilitate multiple conversations at once.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Hykens Staples Chair
View attachment 39059

1. ~$200 USD ($1 million in brazillian playmoney)
2. Recommended by programmers and artists in college everywhere
3. However, the material degrades with time, but you can use the warranty to help it last past the 5 year mark

Want more adjustability? Kroy Staples Chair
View attachment 39060
1. $260 USD (2 kidneys in Brazillian playmoney)
2. It's the same chair as above, but way more tilt options

<$100
The cheapest solution is to adjust your chair or getting the right cushions so you're forced to sit properly.

Here are some guidelines to think through if you want to spend little to no money

your lower half
1. Raise your chair so your knees bend at a 90 degree angle
2. Hip and knees should be parallel with the floor
3. Back straight! Your back reduces the most pressure on your discs when it's a vertical line perpendicular to the chair
4. Ass goes back. If it's not far back enough, you'll notice slouching against the chair
5. Support your lumbar (lower back or even the sacum, meaning around the belt line). Need something so that it's not hovering against the back of your chair

potential solutionz

View attachment 39062View attachment 39063
(lumbar and bed pan cushions)

View attachment 39064View attachment 39066
(just a towel with tape. Everything in <$100 has a cheap alternative)

your upper half
1. Upper arms should be vertical, forearms should be parallel to floor or angled even lower (so more than or equal to 90 degrees at the elbow)
2. Let the weight of your arms rest on the table
-->Best way to do this is getting a cushion so you don't mash them against the sharp edge of the table (see pics below)
3. Wrist should be relaxed, no stress on them from having your keyboard super angled or something
4. Fix screen height so that when your back is straight your screen is eye level (see pics below)
5. Keep screen 25" to 40" away (depends on how well you can see)
6. Reduce head motion as much as possible so your back stays straight and neck avoids repeated strain (see pics below)

potential solutionz

View attachment 39073View attachment 39072
(table too high for good arm posture? Use a lapboard)
(can be fancy like this or a literal piece of wood)

View attachment 39069
(cushion for wrists)
View attachment 39070
(This tall mutant needs his screen higher)
(Stack books and boxes or buy a pricey adjustable stand)
View attachment 39071
(writing stands prevent neck strain, so head moves very little between documents and screen)
(This one will make you look like a fucking muppet)

Try before you buy

You might be a real freak. You might have a tall torso, short legs, some mix of the two. This means no ordinary cheap chair will do the job and you need something with a taller back or a wider bed pan to support good posture. You might need a lot of support for your lumbar, you might need only a thin piece of fabric. You might weigh a bit more, and the mesh will degrade a lot faster. It's in cases like these that more money and research is worth the investment for a better chair.
10/10 post

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Get these fake cobwebs and fake spiders and some more Halloween decorations

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andrew Eldritch

Definitely Not Goth
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe some party games like werewolves/mafia? Or if that's appropriate in your area there's a lot of fun games you can do in a set area outside in the dark like Sardines (variant of hide and seek), living Stratego (based on the board game), capture the flag..

Virtual Cafe Awards