Tri-County Mall - Cincinnati, Ohio

Arcade101

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
arcade101.neocities.org
The Tri-County Mall here in Cincinnati is the oldest shopping mall in the area, originally going up in 1960.
As with most shopping malls of this kind, it experiences pretty low traffic these days. I recently heard that
it was going to be redone into some sort of weird commercial/residential complex hybrid, so I went with
my brother to take pictures of the place - just so that some idea of what it was like might still exist somewhere.

I've put up these pictures on my website here: https://arcade101.neocities.org/images_tricountymall.html
Feel free to do whatever you like with them, I'd rather not see the memory of this place become obscure.

Attached are a few examples of what you'll see there:

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 87
Virtual Cafe Awards

Arcade101

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
arcade101.neocities.org
Additionally, I was at the nearby Cincinnati Mall the other day, and took a few cool pictures.
The weather out was terrific, and I would've taken more were in not for the fact that I was so focused on exploring the place.

Attachments

• 66278051703__824A94A3-86FA-4B48-98D9-3260DE64F398.png
    66278051703__824A94A3-86FA-4B48-98D9-3260DE64F398.png
    938.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 66278057229__52E75942-8463-4026-A6ED-BB1E8280E912.png
    66278057229__52E75942-8463-4026-A6ED-BB1E8280E912.png
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7557.png
    IMG_7557.png
    970.1 KB · Views: 98
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kaputski

Travelling without moving
Reaction score
Awards
Cool pictures you got here, i think it would be great to share some of our hometown mall. Might do it later.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Talon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Great shots! I'm hooked on Dan Bell's Dead Mall series. Something about an empty mall that feels so creepy and also sad if you're old enough to remember them as being bustling places. Like watching the fall of an empire in HD. There's a mall further upstate in my hometown called Midway Mall that is on its last leg. The Last time I was in there was two years ago when I went to visit my family and it was struggling. They had JCPenney, Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods and Macy's as anchor stores still, along with a few little boutiques, a bodega, a head shop, and several local-ish eateries in the food court. In spite of it seeming to be better off than a lot of the dead malls, there was only one elderly mall walker in the place aside from us and the employees. Many empty store fronts, kiosks and kitchens. The JCPenney and Best Buy have since closed. Going to try to get out there this year to see if I can document its final breaths.

Virtual Cafe Awards

minorminer

all the cincinatti mall is missing is a muffled, slowed tunes of the not too distant past and some neon. looks awesome. I wish all these old malls caved into the vapor wave aesthetic.

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I wish I could find things like this where I live. Its strange. We have a couple malls here, one is probably considered a Super Mall as it has 3 stories, a bowling alley, and an entire movie theater. These malls are absolutely filled to the brim with Asian families crowding them up day and night, at least 4 days a week. One of them is doing so well, they're building their own apartment complex on the premise so you can... live and die in a mall? I don't really know. I feel like I live in a surreal future dystopia where malls became the corporatist power consuming all.

Anyways, dope ass pics, thanks for sharing! I love the aesthetic and I hope to see any more you put out!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Arcade101

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
arcade101.neocities.org
One of them is doing so well, they're building their own apartment complex on the premise so you can... live and die in a mall? I don't really know. I feel like I live in a surreal future dystopia where malls became the corporatist power consuming all.
It's interesting that you bring this up, because this is the sort of development they have planned for Tri-County Mall as well. I'm not entirely sure how much of the original structure will be a part of the new place, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just tear the whole thing down due to how old it is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I might make a folder for all of these pictures and add more like em when I see em. I love seeing abandoned or ruined architecture, but something about this... I dunno what you call it, "burgerpunk" kind of aesthetic? that are also abandoned I think are really interesting. There's a reason the whole liminal space thing got started with abandoned malls and office buildings.

Virtual Cafe Awards

harriet2020

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This one time I had to pick up an amazon package at a GMC in a mall. Most of the stores were empty and it was honestly quite creepy. But it was very memorable and I enjoyed it, actually it was new years 2020 I went

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3578

EYEBROWSE

I have new favorite name for a store - you can imagine the Dad Joke self-validation of whoever came up with it felt.

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Wish I could find some good video, or even decent quality pictures, of City Center Mall in Columbus.
I've got some really fond memories of it from the early 90's. Did you ever get the chance to visit?

I love malls. I've never been a huge shopper, I don't go there to spend a lot of money.
I just love the atmosphere. All the sounds, the lights, the colors, the people, the nostalgia.
The ability to visit so many stores and see so many things, in person. (I still hate buying things online, sight unseen.)

I'm lucky enough to be near a couple malls which are still quite active and busy. I love just walking around and taking it all in.
The atmosphere isn't quite the same as the malls of my youth, but I'm still happy to have them.
I also had a chance to visit the West Edmonton mall a few years ago before all the covid nonsense, loved it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Arcade101

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
arcade101.neocities.org
Wish I could find some good video, or even decent quality pictures, of City Center Mall in Columbus.
I've got some really fond memories of it from the early 90's. Did you ever get the chance to visit?
Unfortunately I never did make it up there as a kid to see it.
It looks cool though - we never had a three story mall here in Cinci - atleast, as far as I'm aware.
I love malls. I've never been a huge shopper, I don't go there to spend a lot of money.
I just love the atmosphere. All the sounds, the lights, the colors, the people, the nostalgia.
The ability to visit so many stores and see so many things, in person. (I still hate buying things online, sight unseen.)
They had a nice atmosphere then, yeah. Going to one you could just tell it was a happening place.
Nowadays its the total opposite, which I think is where the allure lies in going to them today.
I think the best way of putting it is that it's like going back to the past, but nobody's around because they've left it all behind.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
what a handsome lad in that picture hiehuehue