Unpopular Opinions

Soloninja

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure if this is a hot take. People who want to use pronouns they or them are not allowed to become grammar nazis. Using the pronouns ze and zem doesn't even make sense either. one they aren't a word in the dictionary or what general population is aware. It is only found in the universe of twitter and reddit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
shitzo opinions are no more valid than normie opinions. The fact that you believe in demons and shit is equally insane as believing that the modern globalized society and culture is fine and good or that the US Gov isn't a terrorist organization. There is a third path you can take.

pizza should be eaten crust first

The 90s-2000s were the height of waste in western society. The reduction in wealth since then is due to our own institutional extravagance catching up with us. Everyone in the developed world will have to reduce their consumption by like a hundred times in order for it to be sustainable. We are living in a justified collapse. This wealth you see around you is temporary and will never return.

although I do like some of what the Japanese do, mainstream anime and its role in internet cesspools like discord is creating pedos and sex creeps out of kids and teens. I am going to specify that I think that most people that engage with manga or anime remain normal, but there are a minority that consists of perhaps millions that are completely corrupted into degenerates. We'll see if they grow out of it

video games are a waste of time and rot your brain worse than social media.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone in the developed world will have to reduce their consumption by like a hundred times in order for it to be sustainable.
I'd say it's more like 5-10 times. We don't consume 100 times more than people did prior to, say, World War II.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Printing extra money doesn't create wealth and this unmitigated disaster of inflation is entirely self inflicted and will yield incredible devastation far more potent than a singular nuke

They can't raise interest rates or the debt mound will explode. It's like a catch-22 that ensures the end.

Bet gold standard is looking hot right now. Always when an excess exists the force to undo that excess will grow until the system snaps like a trap or a guillotine

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Personally I like MDY, but YMD would be my second choice if I had to pick.

Month and day go together, in the order you would naturally say them when speaking. Feburary 25th, June 30th, October 1st.
The day is useless information without the month to give it context so why put it first?

I perfer the year gets put at the end because it's optional, implied. I know what year it is, I don't need context.
I don't need to know it unless you're talking about a different one.

But for second best choice, YMD, it's logical to put it first because in that order each part provides context to the part that follows.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Just because your opinion is doomer doesn't make it smart, accurate or interesting.
100% agree
I'd say it's more like 5-10 times. We don't consume 100 times more than people did prior to, say, World War II.
We don't consume 100 times more per person, but there are soon to be 6 billion more people than there were pre WWII, and natural resources have been enormously depleted. To add to that, Humans have never used their resources sustainably in the first place. The funny thing is, it doesn't have to be that bad, most of the stuff we consume is completely useless or made to fail, and our societies are ridiculously inefficient, so we have a lot of room. We live in an age of excess, where most people work at bullshit jobs, so there are a lot of things that can be easily cut out before anyone has to suffer because of complete resource depletion. Whether or not people suffer is a different issue

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I don't need to know it unless you're talking about a different one.
Date formatting only really started to bother me when I started reading history books. It's so much easier to make sense of a page full of historical dates when the month/year is written before the day. I don't think it makes sense to talk that way, but when it comes to "official" things like nonfiction and paperwork YMD is the only choice that doesn't lead to unnecessary confusion.
Also, while I'm at it, using "BCE/CE" instead of "BC/AD" is just stupid. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion, but it's true.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
1) A majority of the public don't need to care about social issues on the macro level of things. Like climate change, wars and persecution in other countries etc. If it doesn't affect you directly and you can't do much to change the current affairs of things then you don't have to care about it. Especially for people from the low to middle class which whatever level of privilege they have shouldn't negate all the hardships and challenges in life.

2) Snacks in Japan suck a lot. They always come in small portions and cost higher than their equivalent in other countries. Flavors are usually bland and boring. Rice crackers are all the same, the only one I think that's good is the Kameda wasabi-flavored one. Ironically faux-Japanese snacks from outer countries are better. I can tell you that Pocky from Thailand is better than Pocky in Japan, and Hello Panda from Meiji Singapore are incredible yet they don't sell them in Japan.
982149-omo-1808-1.jpg

3) Metroid Prime has aged badly and is not fun to play today. Sure, the music is great and shooting the arm cannon feels nice but everything else about it falls flat. The world is ugly and unappealing to look at, not even ugly in a way like Fallout 3 that makes it feel special and charming. Exploration is boring, much less backtracking. The controls on the Gamecube are outdated as well. I get that it's a 2001 game but the first Halo released in the same week is still a lot more fun to play today.

4) If for some reason your computer can profitably mine crypto then you should do it as much as you want. You've already invested in a machine powerful enough to virtually print money so might as well let that investment make money for you. You're just some guy running your computer at high power, not a crypto farm stealing electricity.

5) Instagram is actually pretty good for a social media platform. You don't have to see horrible takes and pointless fights like on Twitter; no circle-jerking and karma-whoring like on reddit. You can make it like your personal journal and have it turn out looking pretty good. The Explore page is also pretty good for looking at memes and pictures of your hobbies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

fartslave

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
ugly + intelligent is the most dangerous spiteful vengeful cross section of people in a first world society

edit: but sometimes they can also be the most humble and kindest, but they scare me still

NW_Cryptid

Transcendent Coalescence
Reaction score
Awards
Here's the long and short of this hot take:

Having strong opinions on LGBT matters, or being afraid of gay people if you're straight is literally the dumbest shit since none of it actually effects you.
If someone's gay they probably don't want to fuck your straight ass just like how you don't want to fuck their gay ass.
If someone's a lesbian it doesn't matter you didn't have a chance with her in the first place, get over it.
If someone's trans it literally has nothing to do with you and if you're so scared of them then you shouldn't care what they're doing as long as they're not doing it to you.
If someone's bi you still have the same odds of fucking them in the event you want to, and in the event you don't see the first point I made and stop worrying about it.
If it's for religious reasons then I hate to break it to you but there's more than one religion and not all of them hate people.

TL;DR people are stupid if they bother wasting time and energy on having strong opinions about shit that literally has nothing to do with them and it's exhausting to see people on both sides be such extremists about it. LGBT need to chill with their hate of the straights and straights need to stop being scared of limp wrist gays, like what are you scared of; he's not going to fuck your wife he's not into that. What, do you think he is going to cook better than you? I don't get it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The Ukrainian armed forces are a combination of hand me downs from various nations and recycled Russian export hardware. Their 600,000 person home field advantage is nothing against 200,000 Russians with air superiority.

Ukrainians can't fight a war

Virtual Cafe Awards
Imagine you are a citizen of a nation in the grip of an oppressive dictatorship. You despise this dictatorship. You fantasize about its overthrow. Many of your best and most controversial philosophers are making ironclad arguments not just for democracy and basic human rights, but they are making a good case that dictatorships might be straight up evil in the eyes of the Lord. Naturally, as these ideas take hold, there is much unrest in your society, and it's growing all the time. Democracy and human rights sounds pretty good. Actually, they are virtuous. But, how? The monarchy is strong. Too strong, in fact, and you don't have the numbers or the resolve yet to fight. For now, you're left dreaming.

Meanwhile, the monarchy is continuing to monarchy. In order to expand its dominion, they send large numbers of its citizens to settle a foreign land. Conquest, they call it. But, they fuck up. Sent the wrong citizens. These citizens are brilliant, well-educated, have unquestionable resolve, and, to cap it all off, have had enough of the monarchy's shit. Over several decades, they do their best to whip the population into shape, both politically and militarily. And, one day, they declare their independence and resign themselves to war with the most powerful nation in existence. And with inferior numbers, inferior training, inferior weapons, inferior everything they... win? No. Fucking. Way.

So what did happen?

Remember, you're the person back home, under the thumb of a dictator. You're armed to the teeth with brand new philosophical ideas and you're fucking tired of being underfoot. You want your god-given rights. But, you've yet to act. What spark will light the powder keg?

Word starts getting around you hear that your brothers and sisters in a foreign land have gone rogue. They are attempting to break free from your shared oppressor. They are fighting for everything you believe to be just and good, fighting the fight that you wish you could fight. They are putting their lives on the line against an unbeatable foe. That foe your is nation, and anyone who supports it, and they are about to set on those revolutionaries like they are some defenseless brown people who are sitting on some precious natural resource. Keg, meet spark.

The American Revolution didn't happen. At least, not in the way we think it did. Sure, there was rebellion, but nothing so effective and decisive as what is taught in American textbooks. Not even close. Rather, American independence was won by our sympathizers back home on the mainland. They were speaking out against what they perceived as a holocaust, and the monarchy fell so far out of fashion that they were forced to make a populist decision. And the rest is history.

Virtual Cafe Awards