Using pre-paid money gift card on the internet?

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
OOC note: This post is serious.

Apologizes for what will probably be seen as obvious question by the most of you, but there is some things I need to know.

So where I live, using money on the internet (well credit and debits card) is a massive societal taboo. As a result, my options to spend money on the internet are quite limited. I can pretty munch only use prepaids card (similar to this).

I have been recently considering donating some money to the Agora, but there's a problem: it require a subscription.

I have no idea how prepaid cards behaves with a subscription. From what I can gather, website cannot distinguish between a real credit card and a pre-paid card.

Where I live, we are required to put a lot of personal info on every transaction. I fear that if I try to sub to Agora, Patreon will eventually try to pull money from nowhere and I will get into legal trouble.

Do any of you guys have any experience with those cards? I also don't have a credit or debit card, so those are not an option either.

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I had a card like that when I was in high school that my parents would transfer money onto when they wanted me to go get something from the store. I remember it wouldn't work at gas station pumps and some restaurants and I think the reason is this: some payment systems seem to not care about whether a card is debit or credit and will act like it's a credit card until it's sorted out on the bank's end. Take the gas station pump for instance. The pump has no idea how much you'll spend so it gathers your card info, gives you a temporary credit, and then will send the transaction to the person who manages your card. In restaurants I'm guessing a similar thing happens because of the tipping system. For whatever reason, dedicated prepaid debit cards don't work with these systems so I'd hazard a guess that a subscription service like patreon simply wouldn't let you input that card information. I could be wrong though as I haven't tried it myself. Also if you want to donate money you could donate on the agora paypal instead and not go through patreon

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I had a card like that when I was in high school that my parents would transfer money onto when they wanted me to go get something from the store. I remember it wouldn't work at gas station pumps and some restaurants and I think the reason is this: some payment systems seem to not care about whether a card is debit or credit and will act like it's a credit card until it's sorted out on the bank's end. Take the gas station pump for instance. The pump has no idea how much you'll spend so it gathers your card info, gives you a temporary credit, and then will send the transaction to the person who manages your card. In restaurants I'm guessing a similar thing happens because of the tipping system. For whatever reason, dedicated prepaid debit cards don't work with these systems so I'd hazard a guess that a subscription service like patreon simply wouldn't let you input that card information. I could be wrong though as I haven't tried it myself. Also if you want to donate money you could donate on the agora paypal instead and not go through patreon
I will look into the possibility of using Paypal.

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I know for a fact that pre-paid gift cards no longer work on Steam or Amazon, and the same is probably true for other big-name online stores thanks to scammers. It wasn't always that way. I remember being able to buy games and other things online using pre-paid cards back when I was a kid without a bank account. It sucks that kids these days no longer have that option.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I know for a fact that pre-paid gift cards no longer work on Steam or Amazon, and the same is probably true for other big-name online stores thanks to scammers. It wasn't always that way. I remember being able to buy games and other things online using pre-paid cards back when I was a kid without a bank account. It sucks that kids these days no longer have that option.
Oh I guess that's why I could give my money to GOG.

It said that we can't have nice things anymore.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Alright, I looked into Paypal and Stripe, both have no options for 1-time payment, so I am guessing they won't accept the card regardless.

I will try discussing the matter with Pirate I guess.

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Alright, I looked into Paypal and Stripe, both have no options for 1-time payment, so I am guessing they won't accept the card regardless.

I will try discussing the matter with Pirate I guess.
there are designated prepaid debit cards that you can get from your bank if you want. thats what i was referring to in my post above

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
there are designated prepaid debit cards that you can get from your bank if you want. thats what i was referring to in my post above
I see. In my case it's something I bought in a store.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
ahh yeah that probably wouldn't fly with any online purchasing service at all
The only thing I ever purchased with those cards are RuneScape Bonds. As stated earlier, GOG blocked it and Steam and Amazon are apparently blocking it.

Yeah, it look like my options are quite limited. I will attempt some sort of trade with Pirate and if he refuses, then it is what it is.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
or you can look into getting a prepaid debit card from your bank. also why do people in your area frown upon sending money on the internet? what kind of canadian town do you live in?
It's a very rural town. Where I live, people still have the notions that nothing on the internet is to be trusted... execpt Facebook apparently :PikaFacepalm:

There is also some kind of movement against emails out of all things.