V2k

Hey, uhm, I don't know about any of you but I have been having trouble
fitting most of my Vaporwave into the established sub genres.
I sample music after 1995 and am not too keen to make things ambient, because I know there are many people are close on the same boat with sample choices I was thinking it would be neat to make another subcategory specifically to highlight the time chosen for nostalgic sampling which I have named "V2k" [short for Vaporwave 2000]. If you would like to see what I mean in sense of style, have a listen at my singles compilation for last year https://bloomstrad.bandcamp.com/album/singles-of-y2k18

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
I'm unsure if a separate subcategory is required, but I think the name suits really well. The turn of the millennium was such an important event. A lot of hopes (virtual futures) and fears (remember the millennium bug?) from that time are coupled the outlook of a brand new time.
It is a way better term than "post-vaporwave" which is also used in other contexts (of which the main one is to sound pretentious I suppose)
Another way of addressing time more specifically in Vaporwave is to go define era's. I see 3: the rise, peak and fall of a future. Early vaporwave - reagan taking office (or even earlier?) until the berlin wall fell down, followed by peak vaporwave - the era between fukuyama's the end of history was published until the first plane hit the WTC and finally late vaporwave ( from 9/11 until the 2008 financial crash).

Virtual Cafe Awards
Eis-T said:
I'm unsure if a separate subcategory is required, but I think the name suits really well. The turn of the millennium was such an important event. A lot of hopes (virtual futures) and fears (remember the millennium bug?) from that time are coupled the outlook of a brand new time.
It is a way better term than "post-vaporwave" which is also used in other contexts (of which the main one is to sound pretentious I suppose)
Another way of addressing time more specifically in Vaporwave is to go define era's. I see 3: the rise, peak and fall of a future. Early vaporwave - reagan taking office (or even earlier?) until the berlin wall fell down, followed by peak vaporwave - the era between fukuyama's the end of history was published until the first plane hit the WTC and finally late vaporwave ( from 9/11 until the 2008 financial crash).

I created a thread on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk that provided me with even more artists who use the style but tag their work as "Y2kVapor" which quite frankly, it's not catchy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
I made a V2k track. It is an eccojam based on Robbie Williams' euphoric song "millennium" juxtaposed to the line "this new century is bringing me down" from "love supreme". Reflecting both the deception that the 21st century turned out to be and the personal hardship Robbie went through back then.
https://soundcloud.com/eis-t/millennium-ambivalence
If there is ever going to be a compilation album to showcase / start off Y2k, consider this my submission to the project.
curious to hear if this is similar to what you have in mind as Y2k

Virtual Cafe Awards

ABSTRACT-TRAGEDY

どこにいても、あなたが私について考えていることを願っています。
Reaction score
Awards
Website
rateyourmusic.com
y'all don't understand how much i've been dying for more 2000's influenced vaporwave, like even as a kid i felt so content in how everything looked and sounded in my youth, it defined my perceptions of the world around me back then & today, if i said my visual aesthetic wasn't defined by the early y2k aesthetic + the mid 2000s I would be shitting you, i'll definitely be considering making shit in this subgenre frfr

Virtual Cafe Awards