Vaporwave: The Movie - What would it be like?

Congrats! You just landed your dream job that involves developing and/or writing a film about Vaporwave. Not a documentary, but a legit film that could have any premise, it just has to be in the style of vaporwave or its subgenres. What do you think that movie would be about? How would it be shot (digitally or on film)? What main story motifs would you incorporate?

I could see it shot as a 80s/90s surreal film with some degraded visual and audio effects throughout it (maybe that plays apart of the story). It would set in a futuristic alternate reality where the internet took a different turn and focused less on social media, yet still having a corporate hedonistic/materialistic feel. The interior set designs might have something like water features, tile floors and walls, palm trees and tropical plants, and immaculately clean. The images below are what my mind's eye would picture the setting for such a film.

1.PNG
3.PNG

4.PNG
2.PNG

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave the movie: Like the emoji movie, but with 90s internet, and PCP induced graphic effects.

Starring:

Ryan Gosling as:
Premier
Imagen

Steven Seagal as
Colonel Macintosh
Imagen

Chow Yun Fat as
Reverb

Imagen

Christian Bale as
Aesthetic
Imagen

David Hasselhoff as
The construct

Imagen

Saul Goodman as
The bust
Imagen

And as World Wide Web
Imagen

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
The "purest" form of a vaporwave film in my opinion would honestly be little more than an art film that exists as a visual experience for an existing album. Think of this classic Floral Shoppe visual album.

Of course, it would depend on the subgenre. For classic and hypnagogic these more surreal, experimental visuals would compliment it the most, and mostly without coherent plots beyond subtle themes.

For future funk and more upbeat albums you could experiment with plot in varying degrees. I'm reminded of Goodnight, Aloe Island having a couple samples from classic kung fu films. Generally more lighthearted stuff to match the tone, though.

I'm sure you could extrapolate the other genre's movies based on their general aesthetics.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The "purest" form of a vaporwave film in my opinion would honestly be little more than an art film that exists as a visual experience for an existing album. Think of this classic Floral Shoppe visual album.
That would absolutely be the purest form of a vaporwave film, but I doubt anyone would want to sit through a feature length of something like the Floral Shoppe visual album. But maybe I'm being biased, cause I'm not a huge fan of Macintosh Plus (plz don't witch hunt me). Now I could definitely see a vaporwave movie starting with future funk beats, and as the movie progresses it gets more into that classic, hypnogogic vaporwave.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeonRAt

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
neonrat.neocities.org
Not documentary about the genre itself, but mockumentary instead. Probably about some made up municipal level drama with exegregation of some events in maybe, reality show/true crime TV show way? To make everything serious, absurd and artificial ar the same time. Can make a fine narrative to create a base for visual/sound part. Tbh, don't think there is any need for the strong plot or story, it just doesn't fit the atmosphere. But as an instrument to keep viewer in touch? Yep, it can work.
It will be grate to play with structure and montage instead, Mix some past and future events, imitate the effect of switching between TV channels, make some "personal" video recordings of random things, put some light color filters and make scenes overlap with eachother, include old 3D sprites in style of never existed cynema studious. And plastic. A lot of plastic and greenery in decorations
And style like this allow to incorporate subgenres as you wish. The bgm can correspond the situation, can create the opposit effect, everything would work

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
You've got it all wrong. Vaporwave the movie is about conspiracy and the legend of Nagalobud. Lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

unknown death 2002

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
10 years after vaporwave was deemed "a dead meme" by the US Government and made illegal

All vaporwave artist went into hiding and were forced to continue their careers making normal music....

That was until the Helios Sun God statue from the Floral Shoppe cover was stolen

To save the statue....these unlikely musicians are gonna have to leave their house and step up to save a peice of internet history...or die trying

Few people tries to
countereffect the promise of mark fisher's lost future

Virtual Cafe Awards

Duskwielder

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I am sure there are many capitol ideas, however I'll throw my two cents in.

I'd humor the thought of something in the cyberpunk-esc realm for the visual settings. Your neon lights, flashy billboards and colorful streets for the cities.

And the protagonist runs a double life, a DJ on one hand to implement the music and carious twists beneath that which is vaporwave. Then on the other, a hacker, a black hat, someone who specifically jacks into various systems to build a series of tiny leeches as a means to survive without doing too much.

Stuff like but not limited to:
-pi like devices cleverly hidden in public motels as they travel to make a series of personal vpns and i2p like nodes.

-ssh-ing into various computers under the guise of a free lancing worker. Making discreet, tiny vm's that use the hardware to mine, or render their music.

The antagonist would be a private detective, or a white hat maybe under a corporate thumb that has mild inner conflicts.

And eventually everything leads to the DJ, but there's a twist. The DJ has a twin, they take turns and use the DJ events as an allaby. Maybe their music equipment is odd and does not use the internet as another means to show they can't possibly be jacking into the local systems.

Would prove interesting, I think imo

Like Emoji movie X Trolls (ani-movie), but no such cringe.
Isekai hero finds himself/herself mourning over "never been/what could be past", how they lost dreams, zist, there is no future we clinged to grow up for, and now we are lost overburned overcome, maybe peaked in elementary school... / Hoping for things to get better or back to childhood, no drama, no fake-niceness...
-sorry, this is too specific

Virtual Cafe Awards
Got two prompts
1/ sort of QnA , like YouTube personál experience with VW
"Story"
I love this
I hate this
ARE there others
Ok this is nôt it *what n why i love VW?
/5 oh, so many
Jesus is that even!?...
I want to be alone
But why do i feel this?
Others too; do...
10/ Ánd i hate that^ *oh, so EdgY
I feel bad
"Never Nothing new"
Oh, so this is VW...
Do i "hate capitálism"?
15/ oh yeah, i loved indeed being kid
"I ma sorry"
*Fun with others
"I Can be me!"
Just slowly, nôt forcing
20/ enemy - the want to be #1
"Its you & you got tíme" - song: macplus420, its Your move

Virtual Cafe Awards
#2, "scenes" prompts

1 discovery
2 i like it (VW) because
3 lost futures
4 joke capitalism
5 childhood memories; rosy nostalgia
6 blame, guílt (realisation/trauma)
7 running away (6 - internal)
8 looking back (měmories About memos.)
9 like a broken record
10 ˇaddiction ˇ
11 waiting pains (adulting) /refers to kids, 2 bonbóns and waiting - experiment
12 why i like that pain i do to myswlf?
13 fear
14 fake courage
15 who i joke!
16 music beats ober my mind
17 i had to admit this
18 Listen thy + self(s)care
19 yes; i dreamt ; whíle, ago...
20 dont hurrY!
21 i úsed to be scared of my Own power, yk...

Virtual Cafe Awards
Yes
But no under our production
I imagine it like when Bartkira(s) was made

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
Everyone is chugging cans of Arizona iced tea left and right, like how alcohol is consumed in our world. The movie could even do product placement with it (although I doubt Arizona can pay that much considering how cheap it is). I guess that's irony for you

Virtual Cafe Awards

jpng

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
If I made a vaporwave movie it would be a retro fantasy movie that just happens to take place in vaporwave-inspired environments, and have prominent vw figures have subtle roles in the movie as well. Obviously it would have a soundtrack that's a huge cool collaboration. I dunno!