Vaporwave visual aesthetics in 2021

FlangerFobia

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
What is your opinion of vaporwave visual aesthetics in the current year? Its been often said that vaporwave is just as much of an art movement as it is a music genre, and its interesting to see where people take the visual elements at this point. Looking at the album covers of some big name vaporwave artists, its interesting to see where things have gone since 2014 among those who actively participate in the scene. I've noticed a lot of minimalist types of art, and a rejection of things that would typically be considered vaporwave, like its a lot less common to see palm trees, greek statues etc in recent album covers. However, if one goes into a vaporwave thread on /wg/ those things that the average person would consider "vaporwave" are still very much present. What is your take on the visual aesthetics of vaporwave currently? Is it time to move on from the same common motifs or do they still have a place?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I love the current aesthetics of the community! Greek statues and a palm trees were great, and still are, but I feel as if newer vaporwave visuals dive deeper into the niche aesthetics of the 80's and 90's. I find album covers that I can't explain why I feel nostalgia for, and it's really interesting to me. Graphic design elements from decades past are retextualized and given new meaning. Vaporwave has surely grown as an art form.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Senna

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm in love with how the visual style of vaporwave has changed! I think it's sort of a natural step up as the music becomes more diverse so does the art. I'm absolutely loving the slow integration of y2k design sensibilities into the artform, it's especially nostalgic to me and just looks so lovely! I'm so excited to see where the artform goes next!

Virtual Cafe Awards

SaddamH2006

chairman of the party
Reaction score
Awards
The natural evolution of nostalgia as new generations take over production of vaporwave media is going to keep it fresh forever. Its a style that allows us to build off a specific format, and incorporate different time periods aesthetics - pretty dope.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The natural thing for us to do is to dig up new aesthetics. Finding more stuff that no one is tapping into will continually renew our aesthetics and keep it fresh. Going into old shit and screencapping is a good start. I've been finding shit in 80s NASCAR (Mostly analogue TV graphics). There are many other places we can look.

Virtual Cafe Awards