Video games consoles wars (and other retarded brands wars)

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I use to be into consoomer brand wars. First it was consoles and then moved on to Apple vs Google. Stopped that argument 10 years ago.
Real benefit of it is for investors. Trick people into consumer brand wars, and you'll get all the pros and cons of each side from a consumer perspective leaving just the corporation's finances and its long term plans as a question. Still happening with Tesla vs whatever, Nvidia vs AMD and etc.
As soon as you have even a shred of disposable income as a working adult though, console and gaming PC prices are laughable if you compare them to many other hobbys' costs. So if you're a gaming enthusiast, you're gonna get a good gaming PC and one or two consoles of your preference for the living room and then just play whatever you want.
Yeah, key point there being a shred of disposable income. Most people don't invest their money, and even more can't because they are rentoids in cities and struggle to be self-sufficient. As for whether it compares to other hobbies, well you can get a pencil and paper for like £3, and start drawing. I'd say it's near the bottom of "luxury" hobbies, like miniature wargaming, LARP'ing, cosplaying, book collecting(some people collect books as opposed to reading them. I can understand it if its different translations of books you really enjoy, but otherwise it's just another investment), Funko Pop collecting, X collecting(Usually collecting comes with consumption of the media, but some things are... bad like Funko Pops).

I would also argue most people are like pigeons. Collecting and hoarding useless tat.
Cant believe I forgot about this piece of gold.

View attachment 55397

GOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Real benefit of it is for investors. Trick people into consumer brand wars, and you'll get all the pros and cons of each side from a consumer perspective leaving just the corporation's finances and its long term plans as a question. Still happening with Tesla vs whatever, Nvidia vs AMD and etc.

Yeah, key point there being a shred of disposable income. Most people don't invest their money, and even more can't because they are rentoids in cities and struggle to be self-sufficient. As for whether it compares to other hobbies, well you can get a pencil and paper for like £3, and start drawing. I'd say it's near the bottom of "luxury" hobbies, like miniature wargaming, LARP'ing, cosplaying, book collecting(some people collect books as opposed to reading them. I can understand it if its different translations of books you really enjoy, but otherwise it's just another investment), Funko Pop collecting, X collecting(Usually collecting comes with consumption of the media, but some things are... bad like Funko Pops).

I would also argue most people are like pigeons. Collecting and hoarding useless tat.

GOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!

gaming is a wide umbrella term.

In asia owning a mid tier office grade PC and office grade peripherals and playing league of legends / valorant / CS / asian mmos is already enough for countless thousands of hours of gaming. Better yet just go down to the net cafe with your friends.

PC gaming is king in asia not because they like to invest high end shit, its legitimately cheaper with the kind of gaming that they do.

But man, not having enough disposable income for even just a bit of gaming sounds desperately poor.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I'd say it's near the bottom of "luxury" hobbies, like miniature wargaming, LARP'ing, cosplaying, book collecting(some people collect books as opposed to reading them. I can understand it if its different translations of books you really enjoy, but otherwise it's just another investment), Funko Pop collecting, X collecting(
Sports clubs or anything else with monthly membership costs are probably way more expensive than video games too. If you only buy games during sales or priate them, then you only have to buy new hardware every few years which can also be comparatively cheap if you don't want to go high end all the time.

my bjj gym membership costs 90€s a month. That's already 1620€ for one and a half years of membership, excluding special seminars and fuel cost to actually get there.
Gaming just has very little running costs (if you're not some Mirco transaction or paid subscription victim)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
the best console wars were when upstart failing consoles took potshots at sega even though they had no chance of matching 1/255 of their sales:

View attachment 55388

View attachment 55389
It failed indeed in the West but in Japan it was the total opposite with most people buying Nintendo and PC Engine consoles and Sega being at third place.

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
As a kid/teenager it makes sense since you're essentially stuck with whatever your parents got you or what you chose to spend your limited allowance on so you might develop a strong attachment to it .
I never had my own computer until late '90s with a Windows 95 PC and my first own console that wasn't Atari 2600 (with the many games at its memory) or handheld LCD games was was SNES with Donkey Kong Country 2 at 1995-1996. Even later I couldn't have many different consoles until I first got a job. Still I didn't got into console wars. If I couldn't buy these console, I would either play them at other people's place or at big stores/gaming stores.

Also during 5th generation I liked all three big home consoles equally (N64, Saturn, Playstation 1) since each one had their own gems. And I still like them equally today.

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Sports clubs or anything else with monthly membership costs are probably way more expensive than video games too. If you only buy games during sales or priate them, then you only have to buy new hardware every few years which can also be comparatively cheap if you don't want to go high end all the time.

my bjj gym membership costs 90€s a month. That's already 1620€ for one and a half years of membership, excluding special seminars and fuel cost to actually get there.
Gaming just has very little running costs (if you're not some Mirco transaction or paid subscription victim)
You can do sports without spending a penny or without going to gyms and shit. Also with gaming there is piracy/emulators/etc to enjoy unlimited games for free. Not to mention the many games that are legally free.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
At least the consolation is that you don't need lots of different consoles anymore to buy/play all good games and all you need now is a good PC and a Switch.
So, it was never PS4 or X-Box who would win the console wars... it was the Switch in the end!
Just kidding... I think consoles have been an outdated piece of tech since a few years ago, at least the Switch seems to have fun exclusives. But the problem is that only the topic changes! All that arguing has just donned some nerd glasses and an updated dictionary featuring words like gigaflops, cores, ray-tracing, and FPS. I disliked GPU comparison talk in school because I never kept up, and I wondered how my friends could splash out on useless junk like that. Though now I am older and way more into computers, I like the bare concept of many parallel floating point calculations, and want to see the ways that could be used for non-graphical tasks.
There is no argument in favor of console wars bullshit, you were raised to be a good little brain-dead consumer and you fought with your friends over who was the better consumer of all. "I'm better than you because I bought thing and you didn't."
Their propaganda was no different than any other corporate attempt at swaying the population with buzzwords and nonsense, and they've only been getting better at it.
Nothing I hate more than the tribalistic attitudes of the masses and their delusions of enlightenment caused by decades of sly marketing (programming).

While you were arguing which toy sold more, the same suits that censored and cancelled games you liked and killed passionate developers were laughing all the way to the bank.
Wow, you really dunked on those preteen Agora users, as if you were so enlightened when you were a kid.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
I think a lot of the people who were that into the console wars were middle and high school kids. At least where I grew up thats what it seemed like. A lot of the Playstation vs Xbox thing had a lot to do with what friend groups you were in at school and stuff. Since cross platform wasn't a thing you kind of had to pick a side. Maybe one group of friends were all getting Xbox for their Birthday or Christmas or whatever and maybe others were getting Playstation. It kind of created a tribal thing since whichever one you went with were the dudes you'd be playing vidya with every Friday and Saturday for the next few years. So I believe for school aged gamers it had more to do with social stuff rather than being a diehard fanboy of a particular brand, although there were some of those.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Brapuccino

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.zeropointfool.com
So, it was never PS4 or X-Box who would win the console wars... it was the Switch in the end!
Just kidding... I think consoles have been an outdated piece of tech since a few years ago, at least the Switch seems to have fun exclusives. But the problem is that only the topic changes! All that arguing has just donned some nerd glasses and an updated dictionary featuring words like gigaflops, cores, ray-tracing, and FPS. I disliked GPU comparison talk in school because I never kept up, and I wondered how my friends could splash out on useless junk like that. Though now I am older and way more into computers, I like the bare concept of many parallel floating point calculations, and want to see the ways that could be used for non-graphical tasks.

Wow, you really dunked on those preteen Agora users, as if you were so enlightened when you were a kid.
Just sharing my thoughts like everyone else. Sorry it upsets you. (I'm not actually sorry)
20220923_022438.jpg

It failed indeed in the West but in Japan it was the total opposite with most people buying Nintendo and PC Engine consoles and Sega being at third place.
Then NEC promptly wrapped their next console (PC-FX) around a tree and exited video games forever.

The long-term result of this today is that PC Engine carts and systems are still relatively affordable due to their abundance, while their American-released Turbografx counterparts are starting to command prices that are Home Neo Geo levels of stupid.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards