Viral tweet about "The Vaporwave era"

I was on Twitter when I stumbled upon a tweet where someone referred to vaporwave (as a whole) as a product from the past.

:LeDoritoFace:
Have we already become that old? :doodleDavid: Is the Vaporwave era gone? Do the newer generations not know about vaporwave?
I'm asking too many questions.

To me, it still is a good time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

giphu

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The influence of vaporwave on popular culture is still there, but I'm afraid the golden age is behind us.

But worry not – I'm willing to bet that we're going to get our vaporwave revival some time soon, perhaps before the end of this decade, judging by similar trends at play right now, with genres such as nightcore, brostep, nu-metal etc. gaining new traction.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
the meme era is over but fans of the music are better off now than ever before

maybe an unpopular opinion but i think the "golden age" is less interesting than the diversity of music being released and promoted on a daily basis lately

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I remember for a time last year a lot of people were leaving the vaporwave community like the private suite mag crew. I certainly don't miss sad boi, but im predicting that a new vaporwave boom will happen and I think it will be about 2000's Y2K Aesthetic. And maybe there will be an Agora Road Saga

Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
I remember for a time last year a lot of people were leaving the vaporwave community like the private suite mag crew. I certainly don't miss sad boi, but im predicting that a new vaporwave boom will happen and I think it will be about 2000's Y2K Aesthetic. And maybe there will be an Agora Road Saga
everyone work on your breakbeat chops cuz y2k future-jungle is back baby

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
彼らはディスコについて同じことを言った。結局のところ、どんなに曖昧であろうと無関係であろうと、音楽のジャンルは死ぬことはできない。スキッフルを作っている人はまだいるでしょう。消費主義が続き、人々が過去に避けられない郷愁を感じる限り、蒸気波はどこにも行きません。私自身、いわゆるヴェイパーウェイヴの黄金時代の参加者として、今のシーンよりも良くはなかったと言えます。ジャンルが少なく、多様性が少なく、アイデアが少なくなっています。新しい時代が始まったとしても、私たちはまだ蒸気波の時代にいます。

私の個人的な予測では、最終的には、ヴェイパーウェイヴがエミュレートしようとする時代と同じように、人々はヴェイパーウェイヴの黄金時代を懐かしく思うようになります。他の蒸気波の歌をサンプリングします。それはあまり楽しみではありません。これが、蒸気波コミュニティの人々が他のジャンルの音楽にファンク、ロック、そして特にニューウェーブの繁栄を促すべき理由です。これらのジャンルがなければ、蒸気波はサンプリングするものが何もありません。とりわけ、蒸気波はそれ自体について感傷的になることを避けるべきです。ヴェイパーウェイヴはそれ自体とは関係がなく、すでに他の音楽の解説と脱構築です。

これは興味深いツイートなので、なぜそれが口コミで広まったのかはわかりますが、その予測には何の信憑性もありません。彼らは数年前とその数年前に同じことを言っていました

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
The implication that vaporwave just up and died ("was"?) is bizarre, but I think I know why she says it.

I believe to many on the internet, vaporwave "died" when the masses grew bored of the meme they created out of it and had discarded of it like a child would an old toy. Because they treated it as a meme and not a real genre, they either never sought out more or didn't recognize it as vaporwave when they saw it (because all most were exposed to was Floral Shoppe, they think that's literally all vaporwave is, hence the "slowed down elevator music" meme). Thus, they think it ceased to exist.

Personally, I harbor no nostalgia for that time period (can anyone be nostalgic for it? It was barely even six years ago when meme was big). All I really remember was lazy posts of roman busts with filters on them and excessive images of arizona iced tea cans superimposed over a windows 95 desktop. Not to mention all of the incredibly lazy attempts at making vaporwave that amounted to nothing more than literally just slowing down a random 80's song in audacity. I don't miss it at all.

Furthermore, "dying" was the best thing to happen to the genre. Because it forced many to re-evaluate what vaporwave actually is and experiment more. Can't exactly have slowed down Diana Ross forever, now can we? In recent years specifically, we've seen an explosion of new ideas and styles evolving out of that rut, even getting almost entirely sample-less albums like Dan Mason's recent stuff and practically everything by Windows 96.

View: https://windows96.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-worlde

In conclusion:

Vaporwave is dead. DKFail

Long live Vaporwave. DKcHaMp

(I hope I don't come off as elitist in those first two paragraphs. I only just realized after typing it all up that it could be construed that way. By no means do I wish to act better than someone for listening to such a niche genre of music lmao.)

Virtual Cafe Awards
Yeah I mean who cares what "Rizzy" has to say about anything? The less normies know about or talk about vaporwave the better imo
Hahaha this, especially with popular teen accounts on Twitter. They're missing out on good albums lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
The implication that vaporwave just up and died ("was"?) is bizarre, but I think I know why she says it.

I believe to many on the internet, vaporwave "died" when the masses grew bored of the meme they created out of it and had discarded of it like a child would an old toy. Because they treated it as a meme and not a real genre, they either never sought out more or didn't recognize it as vaporwave when they saw it (because all most were exposed to was Floral Shoppe, they think that's literally all vaporwave is, hence the "slowed down elevator music" meme). Thus, they think it ceased to exist.

Personally, I harbor no nostalgia for that time period (can anyone be nostalgic for it? It was barely even six years ago when meme was big). All I really remember was lazy posts of roman busts with filters on them and excessive images of arizona iced tea cans superimposed over a windows 95 desktop. Not to mention all of the incredibly lazy attempts at making vaporwave that amounted to nothing more than literally just slowing down a random 80's song in audacity. I don't miss it at all.

Furthermore, "dying" was the best thing to happen to the genre. Because it forced many to re-evaluate what vaporwave actually is and experiment more. Can't exactly have slowed down Diana Ross forever, now can we? In recent years specifically, we've seen an explosion of new ideas and styles evolving out of that rut, even getting almost entirely sample-less albums like Dan Mason's recent stuff and practically everything by Windows 96.

View: https://windows96.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-worlde

In conclusion:

Vaporwave is dead. DKFail

Long live Vaporwave. DKcHaMp

(I hope I don't come off as elitist in those first two paragraphs. I only just realized after typing it all up that it could be construed that way. By no means do I wish to act better than someone for listening to such a niche genre of music lmao.)

私がプロデューサーとして始めた当時、私はかなりの数の嫌悪者に対処したと言えます。ヴェイパーウェイヴを一時的な流行に過ぎないと考える人もいれば、大坂地区ではエレクトロニックソングでヴェイパーウェイヴを公然とパロディ化した人もいました。ギミック全体がヴェイパーウェイヴを嫌っていたあるディスクジョッキーを覚えています。彼はアルバム全体をヴェイパーウェイヴのディストラックでいっぱいにしました。それは確かにずっと前のことです

Virtual Cafe Awards

Blokebuster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Somehow vaporwave is presumed dead along with the 80s mania, but we are witnessing the rise of 90s nostalgia with the start of a new decade. As long as this wave surrounds those years, other vaporwave subgenres (aside from synthwave and outrun, which reflected the 80s aestetics) will get a new life.
In a way, so, we could say that the golden years of vaporwave are gone, but I wouldn't say it's dead

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Somehow vaporwave is presumed dead along with the 80s mania, but we are witnessing the rise of 90s nostalgia with the start of a new decade. As long as this wave surrounds those years, other vaporwave subgenres (aside from synthwave and outrun, which reflected the 80s aestetics) will get a new life.
In a way, so, we could say that the golden years of vaporwave are gone, but I wouldn't say it's dead
In that case, can I expect more Y2K-inspired albums around 2030? I only have Energy111 by Hellcom to scratch that super-specific itch.

(This is a thinly-veiled post for suggestions for similar albums)

Virtual Cafe Awards
In that case, can I expect more Y2K-inspired albums around 2030? I only have Energy111 by Hellcom to scratch that super-specific itch.

(This is a thinly-veiled post for suggestions for similar albums)
Hm what kind of vibe would that be?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Hm what kind of vibe would that be?
The future tech-based optimism (coming off of that general 90s optimism) laden with shining metal corridors, blobitecture, and electronics with clear plastic shells. A "post-millennium calm & vague end-of-history futurism" as the Y2K Aesthetic Institute puts it. It's also around this time, I believe, that the groundwork was also laid for today's utopian virtual subgenre, with corporations aping that sense of futurism in a drier, soulless manner, so there could be a little bit of overlap with that.

As far as actual music goes, I think it would be interesting to see what you could do with prevalent electronic music at the time, namely D&B/Jungle, Big Beat, trance, and eurodance.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The future tech-based optimism (coming off of that general 90s optimism) laden with shining metal corridors, blobitecture, and electronics with clear plastic shells. A "post-millennium calm & vague end-of-history futurism" as the Y2K Aesthetic Institute puts it. It's also around this time, I believe, that the groundwork was also laid for today's utopian virtual subgenre, with corporations aping that sense of futurism in a drier, soulless manner, so there could be a little bit of overlap with that.

As far as actual music goes, I think it would be interesting to see what you could do with prevalent electronic music at the time, namely D&B/Jungle, Big Beat, trance, and eurodance.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
インスピレーションを引き出すための過去の奇妙なメディアが本当に不足することはありません。私自身、ラベルのないビデオテープを常に手元に置いています。

Virtual Cafe Awards
This just seems like one of those attention seeking posts in a similar vain as "like this post or you will have 17 years bad luck and your dog will die and your dick will shrivel and fall off". I don't think she even knows what shes talking about. vaporwave has been around for around 11 years but only really has been getting popular since 2016. we really shouldn't take anything she says seriously, she just posted some random images that come up as search results for "vaporwave aesthetic" and nothing that may suggest she was actually a part of the community. as an outsider she's going off of stereotypes and the most popular stereotype in this community is that "vaporwave is dead" and shes most likely playing off that. That has already been established as wrong since the community is still going and there are still passionate artists with fan followings despite the slump that occurred in 2014-ish where a lot of people pretty much left it to die because it was a "just a joke genre".

So esentially, no, whoever made this is just getting down on their knees and begging for likes while sucking the schlongs of e-girls who listen to shitty slowed + reverb playboi carti and think vaporwave aesthetic is "trendy". No credibility here.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards