[VST01] Production Techniques of Hologram Memories Volume 1 by (ℍUM♥ℕIGHTM♥RE)

This tutorial was written from /r/makingvaporwave's own VST series! This is VST01 by ℍUM♥ℕIGHTM♥RE

a1002382984_10.jpeg

Hi guys! I'm ℍUM♥ℕIGHTM♥RE

I recently released an eccojam album on DMT Rec titled Hologram Memories Volume 1

Today I'll be going over my techniques I used in the production of this album, feel free to ask any questions about it or vaporwave production in general :)

First thing I'll talk about is sample mining. This is really up to your music taste, most of the samples found on HG were already on my computer. (Although lately I've been sampling some old vinyls that I recently received)

As to finding a loop, it's almost always something that caught my ear while I was listening. Usually it's a short phrase, catchy, and the lyrics of which can be interpreted in multiple different ways.

PROTIP: Zero-cross your loops. This is where you make sure the beginning and end of a loop start and stop at -∞dB (Or at least as close as you can get to it) Here's an example of zero crossing at the end of a loop in Edison. This is to prevent clicks when your sample loops

FO53uvk.png

When I'm choosing the tempo/pitch to set the loop at, I usually go for whatever sounds the most emotional, the coolest, or just sounds best with the delay, it really just depends on the theme and mood.

Now onto audio processing. I personally use Kjaerhus Audio's Classic Delay 99% of the time. It's simple and it's light on CPU. You can get it for free here
6lmqJJN.png

PROTIP: Make sure you have low-end cutoff for the delayed signal, otherwise you're gonna get a cluttered low-end and it's not gonna sound good

Play around with the feedback, delay time, and how loud the delayed signal is. Ping pong mode is also fun, just don't overdo it. The delay time doesn't always have to be synced to the tempo, but most of the time it sounds better that way to me.

I don't really do much other audio processing (on eccojams at least) other than EQ, delay, compression, and reverb. Sometimes I'll use phasers, flangers, and ring modulation, but rarely.

I won't get into it too much but I sometimes use an effect called barberpole phasing, which is basically a never ending phaser, and is the same effect that t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 uses on his songs. You can learn more about that here.

Now, if you don't wanna just make something that's a loop for 3 minutes, play around with it. Chop it up every other time, do tempo changes, use more parts of the sample, have fun with it!

View: https://dmtrec.bandcamp.com/album/hologram-memories-vol-1