View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq79kGuXpH4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MMpKnfT5oU

What's your opinion on walking?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Wow Andy are you implying that walking is a good thing? That's extremely ableist of you. I will be reporting you to the blue check police so that they can add you to the list of problematic Agora users. You post a a picture of a differently mobilized person and their young child to laugh at but all I see is a stunning and brave person living their truth and educating the next generation on progressive, anti-patriarchal forms of transportation. You post media of Europeans walking down the street as if their ancestors didn't ALSO walk while they colonized the streets of BIPOC the world over. Shameful!

You are exactly the type of person that is ruining society.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
that is what 100 years of automotive industry propaganda looks like.
b9f.png

Bro walking is lefty >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk cringe!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This, but unironically. Listen I love taking walks and do think a lot of the health problems we have in the US can ultimately be traced to sedentary lifestyles of people who don't have to walk very much. But if we're being honest most of the criticism of un-walkable terrain is either thinly veiled hatred for non-urban people (read: poor and middle class white), or ignorance coming from abroad regarding how geographically disparate the US population is. I absolutely hate sharing a wall with my neighbors, and I look forward to the day I can own property where my nearest neighbor is measured in hundreds of yards away. If that means that I have to own a car and take direct responsibility for my own physical fitness, then so be it.

I'm not criticizing people who do want to live in densely populated "walkable" urban centers, but don't tell me what to do.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
This, but unironically. Listen I love taking walks and do think a lot of the health problems we have in the US can ultimately be traced to sedentary lifestyles of people who don't have to walk very much. But if we're being honest most of the criticism of un-walkable terrain is either thinly veiled hatred for non-urban people (read: poor and middle class white), or ignorance coming from abroad regarding how geographically disparate the US population is. I absolutely hate sharing a wall with my neighbors, and I look forward to the day I can own property where my nearest neighbor is measured in hundreds of yards away. If that means that I have to own a car and take direct responsibility for my own physical fitness, then so be it.

I'm not criticizing people who do want to live in densely populated "walkable" urban centers, but don't tell me what to do.
I think this goes both ways:
Those "anti walkers" think everyone who vies for walkable settlements wants some urban hellhole like Los Angeles or NYC instead of cosy central European small towns.
And "Pro walkers" think everyone who prefers your approach wants soulless American suburbs and concrete deserts.

I'm personally somehwere in the middle. I love my car and I live in rural Germany. Getting to a big city by public transport is far from optimal, let alone comfortable but actually being in the city or my own small town I'm very happy with everything being easily accesible on foot and also having a nice environment to walk in. I know that these two civilisations are barely comparable in that regard but I still think that Americans are overdoing it a little bit with their car focus and shouldn't equate a walkable settlement with metroplitan hellholes but should seek to emulate cosy European small towns and villages instead.

Small-Towns-in-Germany-Lindau-Street.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think this goes both ways:
Those "anti walkers" think everyone who vies for walkable settlements wants some urban hellhole like Los Angeles or NYC instead of cosy central European small towns.
And "Pro walkers" think everyone who prefers your approach wants soulless American suburbs and concrete deserts.

I'm personally somehwere in the middle. I love my car and I live in rural Germany. Getting to a big city by public transport is far from optimal, let alone comfortable but actually being in the city or my own small town I'm very happy with everything being easily accesible on foot and also having a nice environment to walk in. I know that these two civilisations are barely comparable in that regard but I still think that Americans are overdoing it a little bit with their car focus and shouldn't equate a walkable settlement with metroplitan hellholes but should seek to emulate cosy European small towns and villages instead.

Small-Towns-in-Germany-Lindau-Street.jpg
Lol your European is showing by describing LA as "walkable," but yes I totally agree. I spent several years living in a rural part of the US in a small town (~10,000 people in the area, town was a small fraction of that). It was honestly the best portion of my life in this regard, because you were very much out in the country so you could do what you wanted, people were friendly, and there was zero fear of crime (literally never locked our door), but you could also walk down Main Street to go to a few bars, restaurants, salons and barbers, shops, grocer, et cetera. Best of both worlds for sure.

I just get a real kick out of people like this:
that is what 100 years of automotive industry propaganda looks like.
who act as though people exclusively lived in dense population clusters prior to Henry Ford. Like, you know the US only became a primarily urban culture well after the invention of cars, right? Including the few walkable cities we do have. Perhaps you've heard of these things called "farms" where the majority of the population used to live? I'm sure these "farm" things I've heard about in legends of yore were eminently walkable though.
1678804762939.jpeg

1678804783603.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Z0diacK

NOT A SCHIZO
Reaction score
Awards
What a crazy story, though it is true, and this anti-walking american propaganda is also coming in Europe. Especially with the fatties population getting bigger and bigger, wanting to uber all around, just to avoid a 10-15 minute walk. It's mostly a city thing, though. What a weird set of people, I hate them alot.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
What the hell? I can't even believe this story, I'm american and I like to walk all the time, are people really that hostile to walking?
You're saying a random (and totally real) 4chan post about spring breakers at PCB is not reflective of American society as a whole? Who could've known!

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
You're saying a random (and totally real) 4chan post about spring breakers at PCB is not reflective of American society as a whole? Who could've known!
no it was real i was one of those fat americans trust me

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
to be fair, this isn't 4chan but KC which is a little bit more serious than 4chan, especially 5 years ago and when someone effort posts.
Not saying it has to be 100% real but I trust it more than a 4chan story.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I remember seeing someone post this meme on 4chan (/fa/ IIRC or /out/)and someone came and asked how to take the "walkpill"
1679471674699.jpeg

anyway uuuhhhh I pace around a lot in my room and at school and I walk to the shop but I don't walk as much as I used to I suppose

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
walked 20km on Sunday, 18 on Monday, 6 yesterday and another 10 today, 5 of those went 600m up Mt. Takao.
This trip to JP is 90% walking so far lol (my feet hurt)

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I walk 15 miles 5 times a week, 2 of those miles are not even walking but 20 minutes sessions of jogging and sprinting (high intensity cardio), and before going home i love to do body workouts and calisthenia i drink more than 5 liters of water daily and tbh, never felt better in my life, i literally lose almost 1 kg a day in excersises, my endurance and physique have hugely improved since then, never felt more alive.

in like a month is next semester thus this means i'm going to use my college gym to workout, cardio+workout, with a great diet and discipline, i would definetely by shredded in less than 6 months, things going nice fellas, limits are easy to break the hardest part is reaching your limit every single day, but with enough motivation and discipline everything is possible.

(tho this graph is unusual, due to me suffering from laringuitis and constant storm outside for like 3 days so i had to rest)
1679478344067.png

Here is when i started (a more stable cycle)
1679478663221.png

(Body workout)
1679478723804.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Rn i'm thinking in training more and more endurance so i can make a 12 hours walking and cardio challenge, then going absolutely mad by doing the 24 hours non stop walking session, and if i survive or i retire before those 24 hours, i will change my name to bustaballz for 1 month.

Or i could walk the entire netherlands, both works aswell.

Virtual Cafe Awards