War in Ukraine

Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3990

Its weird that Russia is holding back this much considering how hard they went in the Chechen wars. Is there a reason, other than gay legalism that they wouldnt pull the trigger?
Russia went in with a smaller force (of also volunteers) in both of the Chechen Wars. They also leveled entire cities in Ukraine and massacred civilians, take Mariupol and Bucha for example. Kiev would make Grozny blush if Russians realized their original plans and attacked the city. They're not holding anything back.
If what you're asking is why they aren't sending forces stationed in other theatres or enacting some kind of mobilization; the answer to the former would be that they need them to both supress their dissident population and ensure border security, the answer to the latter would be because even Putin can see that it would lead to him being overthrown.

Lonely_Ghost

The one
Reaction score
Awards
Its weird that Russia is holding back this much considering how hard they went in the Chechen wars. Is there a reason, other than gay legalism that they wouldnt pull the trigger?
Millitary cutbacks due to oligarch corruption and bribery. AKA the readon Putin was allowed control of Russia fir this long

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
In moments like this I'm thankful I live in a neutral country with no army, though I see WW3 as the time for Nicaragua to take the opportunity and finally invaded us... I hope Japan will take tico refugees like they are taking Ukranians rn, but doubt they would be as interested in letting central Americans in their country lmaoo

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Realistically though, what are the geopolitical implications of Russian full mobilization and Russia formally declaring war? Would this push Nato to also formally declare war on Russia? Is the EU willing to go to war rn?

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Realistically though, what are the geopolitical implications of Russian full mobilization and Russia formally declaring war? Would this push Nato to also formally declare war on Russia? Is the EU willing to go to war rn?
i somehow doubt full mobilization going to happen - my brain predicting something more along the lines of 'incorporate territories into russia, claim attacks on them are direct threat to russian state, demonstration use of tactical nuclear weapon to stall out ukr pushback and dissuade west from further assistance'

however once a bomb goes off, all bets are off. we have some swiveleyed fucking lunatics in charge in the west, i can see it going really off piste very quickly

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i somehow doubt full mobilization going to happen - my brain predicting something more along the lines of 'incorporate territories into russia, claim attacks on them are direct threat to russian state, demonstration use of tactical nuclear weapon to stall out ukr pushback and dissuade west from further assistance'

however once a bomb goes off, all bets are off. we have some swiveleyed fucking lunatics in charge in the west, i can see it going really off piste very quickly
I doubt they will use nukes to dissuade the west from assisting Ukraine, if anything I expected nukes to create an international war coalition against Russia

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I doubt they will use nukes to dissuade the west from assisting Ukraine, if anything I expected nukes to create an international war coalition against Russia
mh, the only point that's going against this scenario for me is their reassignment of air defense batteries from nato border to ukraine front (which implies not expecting nato threat), but also air defense doesn't really have much of a role in counterforce strike.

it's either that or indeed mobilization, distinct escalation either way which is never good when the calibre of world leaders is currently nutters, dementia sufferers and megalomaniacs

Virtual Cafe Awards