Watching 4:3 & Getting Comfy With Anime

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Hello everyone, I recently got a hold of a Toshiba 26HF85 to watch my treasure trove of classic 4:3 anime on. Its not the optimal tv I wanted for such an experience, as it is from the same year as my Panasonic TH-42PX60U, but it is a certified CRT and it was free with very minimal wear (yippee!).

Because it's clearly an objectively identifiable quality and nobody has an opinion on the matter, just facts, lets get to arguing about what the TV to watch some classic, pre-00's 4:3 anime on! Or even any 4:3 TV shows and movies you enjoy.

But on a slightly more serious note, I am looking for suggestions and opinions on what people like to/would like to watch their classics on. CRT monitors are also very welcome to be discussed, but I feel that is both more common and not so easy a niche to drop into. Prices have been escalating thanks to the increasing interest in CRT monitors and they're harder to find now. I've found it much easier to get a CRT TV for free or on the cheap from local places and buy/sell groups.

So, hit me with your knowledge and lets get our 4:3 on!

Pics related (But not my TV's)

e35a9db7af7f430889d8f7d93db7c911.jpg

45179800_614.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Not much of an expert, but here's a couple of images so lurkers can get an idea why people want crt tvs

scanline-lcd-pixel.jpg

Mario-Kart-64.jpg

Didn't know people also wanted the tvs to watch anime. @Jessica3cho What do you feel are the benefits?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I love CRT's, i lack a CRT TV right now, but i have played videogames that let you add that filter, my favorite graphic novel (VA-11-HALL-A) along with mother russia bleeds lets you add those, it is quite an experience tbh, and this post convinced me of buying one in the future, who knows.
1641935558554.png

1641935638508.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Not much of an expert, but here's a couple of images so lurkers can get an idea why people want crt tvs

View attachment 14011

View attachment 14012

Didn't know people also wanted the tvs to watch anime. @Jessica3cho What do you feel are the benefits?
Thank you for the pics! A lot of people don't realize that things from the CRT era were made for crt's. Its literally night and day's worth of difference.

As for anime, I think for me, its 50% nostalgia, 50% comfy. I love the aesthetic of old CRT tv's and I grew up gaming and watching anime on one until I got my plasma in 2006 (yep, had it since it came out :JahyStare: ) and even then I couldn't use it all the time because it wasn't "given" to me until '09/'10.

Honestly, there's something about 70's/80's/90's on a CRT that just feels better. Maybe its the same thing as games? It was hand drawn, sure, but they drew it for CRT's. They didn't know LCD/LED was going to be a thing!

Also, I have an N64, Dreamcast, PS2, and OG Xbox to play on it, so yeah. :JahySmug:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org

View attachment 14011

View attachment 14012

This is why I always play era-appropriate games with a crt filter in retroarch. It literally just looks better on top of being more authentic.
(Retroarch's built-in shader library is very good, btw. I usually use crt-geom.glsl; Banjo-Kazooie is very comfy with it :peepoBlanket:)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I'd love to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes on TV but can't find any HD rips of it so it looks so small on modern televisions.
That's why you gotta get yourself a CRT. Another thing CRT's do along with being the appropriate size for old media is: Image scaling. Since its analogue, Enlarged images look the same.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
If you want a CRT, definitely look locally. The shipping price for even a small one will murder you. Most people want to pitch these things, so garage sale season is a good time to find them. You can often find large CRTs for free on Craigslist (at least where I am). I bought 2 small CRTs from a garage sale myself a few years ago. The lady selling them made it a buy-one-get-one-free to get rid of them. I sold one for about 20-30 dollars on ebay (that's how I know the shipping is absurd and a pain in the ass) and kept the other for testing purposes.

By the way CRT are notorious widow makers due to how much voltage they put out, even the small ones meant to fit on a kitchen counter. Do not try to get one that is a "fixer upper."

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
By the way CRT are notorious widow makers due to how much voltage they put out, even the small ones meant to fit on a kitchen counter. Do not try to get one that is a "fixer upper."
Very good advice! To be a CRT tech back in the day required a certification process and, even then, the tech manual still warned you that improper handling will kill you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I'd like to necro this thread with an inquiry:

Anyone have suggestions for a good piece of technology I can use as an intermediary between my HD CRT and my media server. Currently, I use my Xbox one to stream to the television as it has an HDMI port, but I have one major issue. The screen edges extended beyond the edges of the television screen, meaning I lose a little image on all 4 sides. I can adjust the safe aspect for the Xbox, but that doesn't affect streamed media and the one downside of the TV is that in HD mode you can't adjust the picture size. If I use composite cables I can adjust picture size, but I get significantly worse quality.

Seeing as I mostly use it for 4:3 media, its not too much of an issue, but I still lose a bit of the top and bottom of the image and if the media has original hard-subbing or something, the bottom half gets cut off. I'm really nitpicky and OCD about my video too and would honestly really like to just not lose any of the image.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to fix this issue (hopefully outside of just getting a new TV)?

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
This is actually my media server. It's a NUC hackintosh that lives in a Mac IIci I got that was DOA. The case is full of hard drives, I converted the mouse and keyboard to work on USB, found some new old stock speakers, and it lives next to my TV. The CRT is just a typical shadow mask monitor, but I pushed it past its original limits to run at 1280x1024 and when you push 1080p video to it, it looks fucking incredible. Anything 4:3 I watch on this rather than my modern TV, the color response is really something else and it's just a lot of fun.

IMG_2092.JPG

WRT going inside CRTs I've done it a bunch, and as long as you know what you are doing, take proper precautions and maintain a healthy level of fear you'll be fine. Just actually read about what components are likely to send you flying across the room if you touch them (NOT just the tube! big caps are dangerous too!!) and discharge those components safely (discharge caps with an appropriately valued resistor not a fucking screwdriver), and you'll be right. Whether you can fix a fixer upper is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I'd like to necro this thread with an inquiry:

Anyone have suggestions for a good piece of technology I can use as an intermediary between my HD CRT and my media server. Currently, I use my Xbox one to stream to the television as it has an HDMI port, but I have one major issue. The screen edges extended beyond the edges of the television screen, meaning I lose a little image on all 4 sides. I can adjust the safe aspect for the Xbox, but that doesn't affect streamed media and the one downside of the TV is that in HD mode you can't adjust the picture size. If I use composite cables I can adjust picture size, but I get significantly worse quality.

Seeing as I mostly use it for 4:3 media, its not too much of an issue, but I still lose a bit of the top and bottom of the image and if the media has original hard-subbing or something, the bottom half gets cut off. I'm really nitpicky and OCD about my video too and would honestly really like to just not lose any of the image.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to fix this issue (hopefully outside of just getting a new TV)?
You're probs better off using something like a raspberry pi or other cheap computer to handle receiving where you can actively configure your display output rather than relying on an xbox that probably has never been designed with old CRT TVs in mind

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
This is actually my media server. It's a NUC hackintosh that lives in a Mac IIci I got that was DOA. The case is full of hard drives, I converted the mouse and keyboard to work on USB, found some new old stock speakers, and it lives next to my TV. The CRT is just a typical shadow mask monitor, but I pushed it past its original limits to run at 1280x1024 and when you push 1080p video to it, it looks fucking incredible. Anything 4:3 I watch on this rather than my modern TV, the color response is really something else and it's just a lot of fun.

View attachment 30428

WRT going inside CRTs I've done it a bunch, and as long as you know what you are doing, take proper precautions and maintain a healthy level of fear you'll be fine. Just actually read about what components are likely to send you flying across the room if you touch them (NOT just the tube! big caps are dangerous too!!) and discharge those components safely (discharge caps with an appropriately valued resistor not a fucking screwdriver), and you'll be right. Whether you can fix a fixer upper is an entirely different kettle of fish.

You're probs better off using something like a raspberry pi or other cheap computer to handle receiving where you can actively configure your display output rather than relying on an xbox that probably has never been designed with old CRT TVs in mind
Hey man, thanks for this great post! Your media server is super awesome and I'd love to know a breakdown of exactly what you did and what components you use to make it all work! Maybe post a tutorial here or as a separate thread if you want? From the picture alone your shadow mask looks like it has incredible picture, how would you say it stands up to Trinitron? And what did you do to push it to 1280x1040? Is that something on the software end or hardware end?

As for the answer to my question: yeah, Raspberry Pi is probably best. I think I have an old one lying around, but I'm too damn lazy to build it into something.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Hey man, thanks for this great post! Your media server is super awesome and I'd love to know a breakdown of exactly what you did and what components you use to make it all work! Maybe post a tutorial here or as a separate thread if you want? From the picture alone your shadow mask looks like it has incredible picture, how would you say it stands up to Trinitron? And what did you do to push it to 1280x1040? Is that something on the software end or hardware end?

As for the answer to my question: yeah, Raspberry Pi is probably best. I think I have an old one lying around, but I'm too damn lazy to build it into something.
Cor, where to start? I guess at the beginning.

I gutted and retrobrited the IIci case, kept the power button plastic piece and the power LED. Couldn't use the original monitor I got with it after buying a shapechanging converter cause it was sync on green, so I bought an Apple Multiple Scan 15 (these are just VGA) which came with an original VGA to DA15 cable, so I decided to carry on with the shapechanger, cause it fits right into the hole in the case for the monitor out.

The original IIci had a PSU where you plugged the monitor power cable into the main unit to get power, so I wanted to replicate that as well. I bought a power strip that terminated in a male IEC connector and that lives inside the case next to the NUC and provides power for it and the monitor. Most of this stuff is just velcro taped into place.

I wanted to keep it running Mac OS for the comedy value of an old Mac running $currentYear OS. Originally the plan was to just drop a Mac mini inside, but I felt like saving some money, so I bought a NUC8I3BEK. Hackintoshed that with OpenCore, it's gone from running 10.15 to 12.4 without any problems. For peripherals I was pretty limited to external hard drives only, so I'm just running 4 x 5TB external drives on all the USB-A ports. I figure with it being a media server, as long as I back up anything hard to find, if something dies I can just download all that stuff again as long as I keep a record of what's on each drive. I also have to run the NUC with the lid off cause I wanted a scratch drive for downloading to/seeding off in addition to the boot SSD, so I'm using a 1TB 2.5" driver attached to the internal SATA header for that.

For mouse and keyboard, I'm using a converter running the tmk ADB to USB converter which also handles the mouse passthrough. It's mounted on a carrier PCB I designed to reduce trailing wires and dangling resistors. Also running an HDMI -> VGA + audio dongle off the HDMI port, which both the VGA->DA15 converter and audio cable for the speakers (AppleDesign Powered Speakers II) are plugged into.

After a while I realised I was having some serious heat issues so I hooked up some USB 120mm fans to a smart switch so I could add additional cooling whenever I want, but I mostly leave them on constantly on a lower setting these days cause it seems to have a better impact on heat.

The cabling inside is a goddamn mess right now and I wish I'd spent more time at the start getting it right cause now I've got like 20 users and I don't like doing downtime. I need to secure a bunch of cables to the rear of the case and route them all a bit better. Other things I want to get working are the power LED (I plan on wiring this into the keyboard converter) and Rube Goldberging the weird plastic power button to press the power button on the NUC, cause at present you can only turn it on by opening the case (or simulating a power outage by pulling the plug when you turn it off)

Software wise I'm running Mac OS 12.4, Jellyfin + Ombi, the sonarr/radarr/bazarr/jackett/qbittorrent stack, AdGuard Home, Home Sharing via Mac OS for music, and a MITM proxy so my powerpc macs can get on TLSv1.3 sites.

WRT the CRT, I actually ran it at 1024x768, its official max resolution, for well over a year. It was actually fucking around trying to make my now-replaced old piece of shit 1080p displays look half decent on my main Mac that opened the door to pushing it to 1280x1024. I tried a few things, like SwitchResX and BetterDummy, neither of those produced great results. What did work was a random Chinese script off github which enables HiDPI in Mac OS. I'm actually tricking the Hackintosh into pushing something like 2560x1920 to the monitor, which it absolutely hated at first and flashed all its lights about, but after adjusting the picture with the controls it seemed to calm down. Then used OS HiDPI settings to scale to a more reasonable 1280x1024.

The one Trinitron I have definitely looks better in terms of color and brightness, but text is a bit fuzzier. For casual TV watching though, I never had a Trinitron when I was a kid so it's pretty close to how I remember TV being (except suddenly way better quality, haha)

Virtual Cafe Awards