Web 1.0 and Web 1.5 Nostalgia General

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
And gathering together to watch entire movies on youtube hooked up to big box tv's with all those cables!
はい、覚えています。当時は良い時代でした。あなたは何時間もケーブルをいじって、それぞれを正しい穴に入れようとしました、そしてすべてが正しくセットアップされると、誰ももう映画を見る準備ができていませんでした

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

はい、覚えています。当時は良い時代でした。あなたは何時間もケーブルをいじって、それぞれを正しい穴に入れようとしました、そしてすべてが正しくセットアップされると、誰ももう映画を見る準備ができていませんでした
Uncanny! You read my mind! Everyone would be excited then lose interest and watch TV, but only you and maybe someone else would hang around to enjoy the eureka moment and enjoy the show!

Edit1: Also only you and that other person would understand how awesome that movie was and bond over that secret knowledge, like a rite of initiation, lol.

Deleted member 2040

Oh my, how strange memory works! You just reminded me of a time when a group of close friends and I would gather together and watch whatever we could on Youtube, mostly shitty low budget action movies, we even got to see some REALLY cheesy and obscure Hong-Kong Wuxia films, and that amazing energy was encapsulated in this song which is vaporwave to me, but can easily be disputed as not being so.

Sigh - Corpsecry: Angelfall

Bullshit_Boy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
AIM was the best, it was genuinely fun and exciting talking to people who may or may not have been who they said they were. I remember the thrill learning brand new ideas from people I didn't know, and trying to explain to my parents why it was so cool, but they couldn't understand yet.

I also remember being really into prank phone calls, then getting on Skype in the mid 2000's with my friends on the school computer and prank calling the fuck out of people. Fantastic.

Long sweaty nights at sleepovers downloading... stuff on Kazaa and Limewire, and hoping it was what the title said.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

AIM was the best, it was genuinely fun and exciting talking to people who may or may not have been who they said they were. I remember the thrill learning brand new ideas from people I didn't know, and trying to explain to my parents why it was so cool, but they couldn't understand yet.

I also remember being really into prank phone calls, then getting on Skype in the mid 2000's with my friends on the school computer and prank calling the fuck out of people. Fantastic.

Long sweaty nights at sleepovers downloading... stuff on Kazaa and Limewire, and hoping it was what the title said.
Remember when 4chan used to specialize in prank calls? When *67 was like an invisibility cloak?

Bullshit_Boy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Remember when 4chan used to specialize in prank calls? When *67 was like an invisibility cloak?
Ah, Yes the classic *67! And you'd hope that your *67 would counter their *69. We'd just find funny last names in the phone book and go to town on them on lazy sunday afternoons.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Ah, Yes the classic *67! And you'd hope that your *67 would counter their *69. We'd just find funny last names in the phone book and go to town on them on lazy sunday afternoons.
Oh man oh man, remember the revival of Chuck Norris jokes? And Yo Momma ones too?

Edit 1: My personal favorite Yo Momma was: Yo Momma's so short she does backflips with all the little critter under the bed!

18570291256-7fc1e90914-b.jpg

This piece of trash video and audio codec that sounded like garbage
Oh man, the first naughty videos I ever saw using that shitty video codec lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Oh man, the first naughty videos I ever saw using that shitty video codec lol.
はい、実際のプレーヤーは別の世界へのポータルでした。アプリケーションを開いて、ランダムなクリップのクレイジーな品揃えを見つけることができるというアイデアは、本当に革命的でした

Virtual Cafe Awards
はい、実際のプレーヤーは別の世界へのポータルでした。アプリケーションを開いて、ランダムなクリップのクレイジーな品揃えを見つけることができるというアイデアは、本当に革命的でした
Yes, a whole new world opened up. Clicking and watching videos on demand became a reality.

Although nothing like it is today. TV was still the king all the way into the late 00s and early 10s.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Yes, a whole new world opened up. Clicking and watching videos on demand became a reality.

Although nothing like it is today. TV was still the king all the way into the late 00s and early 10s.
And here we are, just about to enter cable 2.0 thanks to all the streaming services popping up :confusedMikasa:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Forget about the streaming services. Its the social media giants turning the internet into Cable tv 2.0. :RedWojak:
At least they have the "decency" of being free (plus ads, but who the hell doesn't use an ad blocker nowadays?).

I can't even imagine some sort of package deal in the future like "get one year of Facebook, Twitter, and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk for one great price!" :njWojak:

Virtual Cafe Awards
At least they have the "decency" of being free (plus ads, but who the hell doesn't use an ad blocker nowadays?).

I can't even imagine some sort of package deal in the future like "get one year of Facebook, Twitter, and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk for one great price!" :njWojak:
Haha although they do get in return ridiculous amounts of private information out there on the open, "written in ink" web.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Haha although they do get in return ridiculous amounts of private information out there on the open, "written in ink" web.
True. I guess that information is worth its weight in gold, eh? Especially when people just give it to you.

Virtual Cafe Awards
True. I guess that information is worth its weight in gold, eh? Especially when people just give it to you.
we're all one bad tweet away from never having any kind of public facing career ever costanzayeahrightsmirk

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
we're all one bad tweet away from never having any kind of public facing career ever costanzayeahrightsmirk
It's definitely going to be... interesting seeing the long-term impacts of social media and the internet at large. Wonder what future history books will have to say about it. :KongDance:

Virtual Cafe Awards
I remember loving just going into the web and fucking around, seeing what I would find when I was young. it was wonderful, and at times unfortunate, but it has shaped what I am today, I thank it for that.

Also I was practically living off YTMND for a short period in the 2010's. that was good shit.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I remember loving just going into the web and fucking around, seeing what I would find when I was young. it was wonderful, and at times unfortunate, but it has shaped what I am today, I thank it for that.

Also I was practically living off YTMND for a short period in the 2010's. that was good shit.
Haha I honestly don't even know that website.

Does anyone remember shoutwire.com from the early to mid 00s? It seems like it's been completely scrubbed off the net these days. Used to love that article / discussion forum.

People seem to forget the other 'wire.com' was a parody name of shoutwire :p

Virtual Cafe Awards