Web 1.0 and Web 1.5 Nostalgia General

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
So, what are some of your favorite memories of the old internet? Can be websites, memes, events or any other aspect of the days of Web 1.0 and 1.5 For a quick reference, here's what I would define as Web 1.0 and Web 1.5

:Crash1:Web 1.0: Usenet, Geocities and Angelfire, AOL (1991-2001)

:KongDance:Web 1.5: Early YouTube, ED, 4chan in its "wild west" days, MySpace, YTMND, Newgrounds and the peak years of dA and Fanfiction.net (2001-2008)

You also had cross-generation stuff like GameFAQs and IMDB which are still around today, although sadly IMDB's infamous message boards are gone

Attachments

• Geocities_blog.jpg
    Geocities_blog.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 3,389
Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Looking for sprite sheets from Gameboy Advance games and older and stumbling upon old Geocities/Angelfire sites with gifs and pixel art.
The site of my album was actually inspired by those web 1.0 sites lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

reQverb

zen and back again
Reaction score
Awards
Website
soundcloud.com
surfing around everyon's weird geocities and angelfire creations is my favorite memory of it. all the shitty sparkly gifs, and random odd content.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
初期のネットについて多くのことを覚えています。あなたのチューブが来る前に、ビデオロボットとして知られているビデオホスティングサイトがありました。日本ではここにしかなかったかもしれませんが、今日はもう利用できないビデオをたくさん見たのを覚えています。

当時のビデオは規制が緩和されていただけでなく、バッファ速度が遅いために短くする必要がありました。その結果、何百ものビデオのシリーズがあり、かなり混乱しました。これらのビデオの多くは非常に実験的で前衛的でした。当時のスクリーンショットを撮ることができたここのこれは、冷凍庫のトカゲのものでした。ぐるぐる回って、ペットなのか食べ物なのか気になりました。そのようなクレイジーなもの

ビデオロボット.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I'm a big fan of the tileable backgrounds that were so common on Geocities/Angelfire sites (as well as for desktop wallpapers). Here's a sample of my collection I've accrued through the oocities archive.
back01.jpg
bg.jpg
clouds.jpg
java.png
toasters.png
excite.png
fish.png
dogs.png
darkblue.jpg
pipes.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

1995.BAT♒︎

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Watching a single episode of a shitty anime split into 5 different youtube videos
Oh man, this is so nostalgic. I remember I watched Death Note (dubbed in english) on youtube and stoped at "part 8", might have been almost at the end of the first season... I barely understood it since I don't speak it as my main language, but it interested me to the point of trying my best to find a full pirated .zip file with no success at the age of 12.

Good times.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Watching a single episode of a shitty anime split into 5 different youtube videos
I definitely tried this with movies when I was younger to no avail. Large sections of the movie were straight up missing from the playlist and the clips that were there often overlapped.

Your best shot at actually watching something like that is to stumble upon the whole-ass movie, like that upload of Akira titled "totally not Akira full movie just a slime tutorial" that stayed up for months.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rikstah

So, what are some of your favorite memories of the old internet? Can be websites, memes, events or any other aspect of the days of Web 1.0 and 1.5 For a quick reference, here's what I would define as Web 1.0 and Web 1.5

:KongDance:Web 1.5: Early YouTube, ED, 4chan in its "wild west" days, MySpace, YTMND, Newgrounds and the peak years of dA and Fanfiction.net (2001-2008)

You also had cross-generation stuff like GameFAQs and IMDB which are still around today, although sadly IMDB's infamous message boards are gone

Web 1.5
Waiting months and months for the next update from your favourite Newgrounds animator.
Checking out the latest funny videos from ebaumsworld.
Catching up with all your friends on MSN messenger.

Rikstah

Web 1.5
Waiting months and months for the next update from your favourite Newgrounds animator.
Checking out the latest funny videos from ebaumsworld.
Catching up with all your friends on MSN messenger.

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
このブログはかつてアメリカで非常に人気があったことを覚えています。太ったアクロバットのブログでしたが、今でも冗談かどうかはわかりません。彼は自分の人生を詳しく述べた
nimblejohnson.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
18570291256-7fc1e90914-b.jpg

This piece of trash video and audio codec that sounded like garbage
私はそのプログラムを覚えています、私はそれを頻繁に使用しました。プログラムからいくつかのオーディオバイトがあります。私は時々私の歌でそれらを使用します。それが正しく機能しなかったとしても、いじり回すのはとても楽しかったです。私の学校の生徒のグループがそれを笑っていたのを覚えています

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
downloading shitty quality rap/hip-hop music in early 2000's from warezbb and playing it on windows media player.. oh and when baggy clothing was THE THING, ah strange times those were.
はい、低品質のサンプルが蒸気波のバックボーンです。

Virtual Cafe Awards