Weird Shit Thread

Octopode

le funny
Reaction score
Awards
Share bizarre stories, mysteries, aliens, cryptids, urban legends, folklore, real life stuff, whatever.

The Sandown Clown (a.k.a. All Colours Sam) was a strange being similar to a clown, with "a mask", a pointy hat, wooden antennae, 3 fingers and 3 toes. He was encountered in 1973 by two kids around the hills of a Golf Course in Sandown (UK), that were following the sound of an ambulance siren.

Apparently startled by the children (a boy and a girl), he dropped a book he was carrying in the stream he was crossing, and then, with a microphone, started making that awful siren noise again, scaring them away. He then asked:
"Are you still there?"

For whatever reason, the kids came back, and the clown invited them both to his metal hut. There, the being started writing random words on a book.
He then started pointing to those words, forming a sentence that read:
"Hello and I am all colours Sam"

Then, he communicated like that for about half an hour, giving vague answers to their questions.
To keep it brief, some highlights:
When asked if he was a human, he replied with: "No".
When asked if he was a ghost, he replied with: "Well not really but I am in an odd sort of way".
When asked about what he was, he simply replied with:
"You know".

After the children left, Sam and his hut disappeared, and were never seen again.
The father of one of the kids had an UFO experience before, so he assumed it was an alien and shared the story with the British UFO Research Association.

Attachments

• sam_the_sandown_clown_bufora.jpeg
    sam_the_sandown_clown_bufora.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 309
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
The Sonora Aero Club
Charles Dellschau is a name that gets tossed around with the likes of Henry Darger and Adolf Wölfi when discussing "outsider art."

When it comes to Dellschau's life little is known of him. Born in Prussia in 1830, exactly where and when he arrived in the US is undocumented. Based on speculation on what records remain, he most likely immigrated to somewhere in the US around 1849, and was definitively living in Texas in 1860. That leaves us with about a decade long gap of his life unofficially accounted for (keep this in mind for later on). From what we do know as a result of later records, he lived a normal life as a butcher and even served in the CSA during the civil war. He retired in 1899 and passed away in 1923. It wasn't until a fire at his family's homestead in the late 1960s that the world would come to learn of the project he worked in secret following his retirement.

Following this fire, the remnants of his personal items were left on the curb to be disposed of. This included 12 notebooks filled with art created during his retirement. The books were narrowly spared from meeting their end at the local dump by a scavenging antique dealer.
charles-dellschau_plate-4306-auto-fallease.jpeg

All together, the shoestring-bound books contain some 2,000 pages, each a double-sided collage replete with calligraphy (often in a code that is still today only partially deciphered), drawings, and newspaper clippings. (Dellschau referred to the clippings as "press blooms," as though they were preserved flowers.) Each page -- or "plate," as Dellschau called them -- is dated and numbered, though the counting starts at number 1601. The estimated 10 volumes with the first 1,600 drawings are presumed lost or destroyed.

The notebooks fixate on air travel, depicting fantastical flying machines as well as newspaper clippings regarding early air transportation. However what makes these books/artworks stand out is a couple of things, including their extensive use of a cryptic language that has yet to be fully solved.

2075detail.jpg

The other odd thing about these works is Dellschau's frequent mentions of something known as the Sonora Aero Club. The club, of which Dellschau claimed to be a member, was described by him as a secret aeronautics society operating in California during the 1850s (aka the decade long lapse in any official records of Dellschau mentioned earlier.)

These books "came to the attention of graphic designer and ufologist Peter Navarro" who was researching the wave of alleged/mysterious airship sightings occurring in the US during the 1890s. Navarro "decoded and translated [much of] the writings in and around [Dellschau's art]." In doing so, "Narvarro pieced together a tale of Dellschau's involvement in a secret society of [German] inventors living in gold-rush California [...] They were the work of this secret group, The Sonora Aero Club, and its even more shadowy backer the NYMZA."

"It was believed that this group were occupied by the idea of navigable 'Aeros' or aircraft, in a time where the most advanced aerial technology was the balloon [...] One of the members of this group had also purportedly discovered the formula for an anti-gravity fuel, which was named 'NB Gas'. Their mission was to design and build the first navigable aircraft using the NB Gas for lift and propulsion. Dellschau did not claim to be a pilot of any of the airships; he did however, identify himself as a draftsman for the Sonora Aero Club."

codex.jpg

"We don't know if the Sonora Aero Club actually existed, and if so, did these flying contraptions exist? If they did not, what was Dellschau's purpose in creating thousands of coded illustrations? There are notes in his journal that one day the Wonder Weaver would break the code. If this was the case this might be the only evidence we have that Dellschau intended these works to eventually be released to the public, and evidence for why he devoted thousands of hours and literally decades to create them. But we still don't know fully the message he intended to deliver. The process of learning about Dellschau and his Press Blooms somewhat resembles cracking the Mayan code, to a much lesser degree."

Virtual Cafe Awards

ECHETLAEUS

GLOBALISTS HAVE THE POWER, BUT GOD THE FINAL WORD
Reaction score
Awards
Hellenic conspiracy theory like qanon:
THE EPSILON TEAM 3E.
The theory says that THE EPSILON TEAM was a cult that their belief was the support and defence of the Hellenism and the world from the draconian-reptillian forces that they have a huge impact in the world and the humanity.
They believe in the Gods of the Olympous and they have a different theory of the roots of every human race.
They believe that the Greeks came from the seirios planet, the asians from the dragon constellation and the Blacks from another one that i forgot.
Accordimg to them the earth was owned by the reptiles until the human came and spread and conquered the planet. Must say that the high technology and the help of the olympians they destroyed the reptilian forces and they locked them in the hollow earth. The date is at least 100000b.c.
Many names of Greeks who had high value to the Greek society are added to the list of members of the cult like ONASIS, their supporters claiming that in antartica they fight the americans with ultra high technology.
The only thing that i like about them is the knowledge that they have about the ancient greek temples, attractions and energy points, as some of what they say is based on real information.
They believe in an ultra-modern terrestrial life that prevailed before the 5 cataclysms that actually happened.
I like the idea of an humane cult that is fighting in the dark for the name of the light but such theories are exaggerated for reality but equally interesting.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
When I was a teen, me and three friends went exploring in the (kinda) abandoned train tunnels in London. We'd been trying to find a way onto the abandoned part a few times but all we'd succeeded in doing was getting a day ticket and going around in circles from station to station. Security stopped us the second time having noticed us just poking in all the corners and we told them we were urban explorers and they made us leave (fuck the police).

The third time we tried it, we found a service tunnel in Baker street station where a wall panel had come loose.

We travelled down it for a bit and the tunnel split a few times. We left electrical tape markers on the corners so we could find our way back (this will be important later).

Eventually we get to an opening where all the lights were on, and we thought it was a passenger tunnel for Great Portland Street, but when we came out it was abandoned and there were no announcements or anything. The lighting was old as fuck (yellow like street lights) Pic related:

down_street.jpg

Anyway we explore around there for a bit and fuck around with taking photos. After an hour or two we're getting bored and hungry, so we start to head back. We couldn't find the way we got in so we headed towards where the normal exit would be. We go up the stairs towards the ticket booth and the light is on inside and there was music coming from a radio - which is when a skeleton popped out. We made our excuses and got out of there.

Anyway, we haven't gone exploring again and I'm pretty sure my friends were Feds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
im genuinely confused as to this part of the post
Skeleton GIF
Like this, but the skeleton was wearing a 1960s London Underground uniform. I forgot to mention the skeleton said "these tickets aren't valid for this line boogaboogaboo" - though I could be misremembering the exact wording. I'd ask my friends for confirmation but I think they might be feds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Skeleton GIF
Like this, but the skeleton was wearing a 1960s London Underground uniform. I forgot to mention the skeleton said "these tickets aren't valid for this line boogaboogaboo" - though I could be misremembering the exact wording. I'd ask my friends for confirmation but I think they might be feds.
they're definitely feds. they set up this interaction to groom you into being schizo enough for them to push you over the edge one day and convince you to commit genocide in ireland should the need ever arise

Virtual Cafe Awards

Octopode

le funny
Reaction score
Awards
Bizarre Entities of Brazilian Folklore

Due to children's books/series/cartoons like "Sítio do Picapau Amarelo" (Yellow Woodpecker Ranch), brazilian folklore is usually seen as childish, and many figures that were once described as murderers and demons by the first settlers now are just something like "funny guy that scares poachers or something lol".
However, there are still some traditions still alive, specially in rural areas, and many of them show african, european, and native american influences.
Here are 10 of the most well known brazilian legends.

Boitatá:
boitata.jpg

A giant snake made of fire, with eyes all over its body. Its name probably means "fire thing" in tupi (an indian/native language).
The legends vary from a monster that kills people and eats the eyes of animals, to a being that only kills those that burn the woods.
It has been suggested that the boitatá was a myth to explain the swamp gas phenomenon.

Boto-cor-de-rosa / Encantado (Pink River Dolphin / Enchanted [One]):
boto.jpg

An amazonian river dolphin that can turn into a man and seduce women, getting them pregnant. :pepeSus:

Cuca:
cuca.jpg

An ugly witch that takes disobedient children. She is a type of boogeyman like Velho do Saco ([Old] Sack Man).
Because of Sítio do Picapau Amarelo she is now recognized as a half woman half alligator creature.

Curupira:
curupira.jpg

A little man with red fire-like hair and feet that face backwards.
No one is quite sure of the origin of his name, but it could be "body of a boy" or "full of pustules".
Originally it seemed to be a evil being that scared and killed people, but nowadays it's described as some sort of forest guardian that only hates and poachers.
His backward footprints are meant to confuse hunters.
Also, he is associated with Caipora, a similar figure that rides a hog.

E.T. de Varginha (Varginha Extraterrestrial):
varginha.jpg

Not sure if it counts as folklore.
In 1996, three sisters in the city of Varginha came across a weird being. A skinny biped, around 1,6 meters (5'3" feet), with a big head and big red eyes. It seemed to be sick or hurt. The Silva sisters thought it was the devil.
Rumors of UFOs then become popular in the city, alongside stories about the military taking the creature. There's quite a rabbit hole about it.
However, many just find it funny because the city is called "Varginha".

Iara:
iara.jpg

Also known as "water mother", she is a river mermaid that attracts men and drags them underwater.
She was once the daughter of a pajé (something like a medicine man or shaman) and a warrior. She was beautiful and sparked a lot of envy, specially in her siblings. They tried to kill her and failed, and were all murdered by her. She was then punished by her father and thrown in the waters where the Negro and Solimões rivers meet. However, she was saved from death by the fish and turned into a mermaid.

Mula sem Cabeça (Headless Mule):
mula.jpg

A woman that has had sex with a priest can end up cursed to turn into a mule that spews fire from its severed neck. They only transform once a week (from thursday night until the sunrise of friday) and become aggressive monsters that neigh very loudly or cry like a human. They have to run over seven parishes each night.
They can be turned back by spilling its blood with wood or removing its bridle (I have no idea how that works, since it has no head).

Negrinho do Pastoreio (Little Black [Boy] from the Grazing):
negrinhopastoreiro.jpg

There are different versions but they are all very similar tales against slavery.
A slave boy lost a horse, making his owner furious. The boy was beaten as a punishment. When he failed to bring the horse, he was once again punished: his owner left him to die, tied on top of an ant hill, hoping he would be stung and bitten by the ants in the process.
Three days later, the man returned and found the boy with no injuries, alongside the lost horse and the Virgin Mary. The boy got on top of the horse and left.

Saci-pererê:
saci.jpg

A tiny black man, with only one leg, usually seen smoking a pipe and wearing a red cap that gives him supernatural powers. Saci plays pranks on people and is associated with whirlwinds.
In some myths there are more than one Saci, and they can be captured by placing a sieve on top of a whirlwind, taking his cap off, and placing him on a bottle with a cross drawn on it.

Vitória-régia (Lily Pad):
vitoria_regia.jpg

An indian woman named Naiá was in love with the moon. The moon was a God, and used to take women and turn them into stars. One night, she saw the reflection on the moon on a lake, and, believing that she was seeing the God, she threw herself there. There, she drowned.
Feeling pity, the moon transformed the woman into a different "star": a plant called the lily pad / water lily, that sprouts a star-like flower.

There are many, many more. Like a river monster called caboclo-d'água (water "guy"), and the lobisomem (werewolf).
Those, alongside the lesser known and creepier ones (pisadeira, capelobo, pé de garrafa, mapinguari, corpo-seco...) may be a future post.

And yes, the chupa-cu (asshole sucker) and ET Bilu are jokes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
91bELwdpoYL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

When I was a kid my dad had a book called "The People's Almanac" that I loved to read. It was a collection of strange stories, facts, and trivia with a counter-cultural bent that was published in 1975. The book itself is long out of print, but all of the articles (as far as I can tell) have been reprinted online at this site. The OP of this thread reminded me of an article about "Queen Victoria's Saucerman," AKA "Spring-heeled Jack." Other highlights include the great moon hoax of 1835, the disappearance of David Lang, the appearance of Kaspar Hauser, the buried treasure of Oak Island, the devil's footprints, and a 70 million year-old "mysterious cube." I'm sure you could find more information on all of these stories elsewhere online, along with far more mundane explanations for the events they describe, but I love the mysterious style of the original articles and am glad that they've been preserved. Reading all this stuff out of a dusty old book as a kid in the days before Wikipedia was a magical experience.
I also remember loving William Poundstone's series of "Big Secrets" books. These were a series of investigations and exposes of supposed secret information from the late 80s-early 90s. Unfortunately, they haven't been uploaded to the internet. Some topics I can remember off the top of my head include the real ingredients of popular snack foods, what's inside the US government's emergency bunker at Mount Weather, masonic initiation rituals, a phone interview the author had with Dr. Bronner (the soap guy), phone phreaking tutorials, Tony Robbins' secret to walking barefoot on hot coals, the Bohemian Grove, a disturbing series of Freudian animal pictures from the 50s used by psychologists to interview abused children, and how to contact Marlon Brando via ham radio. Again, you could probably find out about most of this stuff online nowadays, but it's not the same.

Virtual Cafe Awards

OH_Krill

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
E.T. de Varginha (Varginha Extraterrestrial):
View attachment 52030
Not sure if it counts as folklore.
In 1996, three sisters in the city of Varginha came across a weird being. A skinny biped, around 1,6 meters (5'3" feet), with a big head and big red eyes. It seemed to be sick or hurt. The Silva sisters thought it was the devil.
Rumors of UFOs then become popular in the city, alongside stories about the military taking the creature. There's quite a rabbit hole about it.
However, many just find it funny because the city is called "Varginha".

The Varginha story goes deep. There was an alleged UFO crash nearby and the military descended upon the town. The creature sighted by the three girls supposedly ran away and was later tackled and captured by a soldier, who took it to a nearby hospital. The creature left some kind of residue on the soldier and he later died from an "infection" suspected to have been caused by the residue. Supposedly, the military took the creature away (possibly dead) in some kind of metal coffin. Very strange incident in a country that is known for strange UFO incidents.

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Strange Post Cards of the 20th Century and Early Image Editing
At the turn of the century with the introduction of consumer grade cameras and a postal service vastly improved by the automobile, photographic post cards boomed in popularity. While a typical post card will display a prominent landmark or event related to the location, some crafty artists devised early image editing techniques to spice up their otherwise mundane towns.

"Tall Tale" Postcards
In the early 1900s, clever artists and photo manipulators would compose scenes of fantastical crop yields using a mix of multiple photos, airbrushing, and illustration. The impression doesn't seem to be to necessarily fool people into believing the scenes are real, but rather to "hype up" their American small town's agricultural industry.
1003.jpg
6a00e0099229e8883301053615ed6c970b-500wi
6a00e0099229e888330105361de4e5970c-500wi
rabbitlg.jpg

Surreal Postcards
Some of these pre-date the formal surrealist movement of the 1920s. This odd style of postcard is similar to their tall tale counterparts, however these appear to be more humor and/or beauty focused and not exclusive to America.
IMG_3278.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg
IMG_3243.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have much more detailed information on these or the specific artists.

For a similarly unusual rabbit hole, check out Victorian Era Christmas cards.
hyperallergic-newspack.s3.amazonaws.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Turn On - The TV Show Cancelled Midway Through Its 1st Episode
A Surreal Comedy Series Ahead of its Time?
turn_on.png

While we are somewhat used to weird television programming thanks largely to Adult Swim (Eric Andre Show, Tim and Eric, Xavier Renegade Angel, etc) 1969 saw an attempt at making a show so bizarre that some described its editing style "visually sickening." A show so risqué and controversial that it has the distinction of being the only show to be cancelled halfway through its first episode airing. It is truly a product of its era, something only a copious amount of LSD use could've inspired. It's a piece of "lost media" I've been wanting to turn up for years now.

Background
Admittedly a lot of this information is stuff I have little context for as it is well before my time, so I'm largely pooling info from Wikipedia.

Following the success of NBC's Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, a critically acclaimed "hippy" comedy sketch show running from 1968-1973, producers Ed Friendly and George Schlatter were sponsored by Bristol-Myers to develop what would become Turn On. The show was provided to ABC for a projected 13-week run and was supposed to be the network's answer to NBC's Laugh-In, which was doing well among the 18-34 year old demographic. Essentially the success of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In appears to have granted Friendly and Schlatter with a high level of artistic freedom.

Premise
"The whole idea was to arrest the viewer's attention, without letting them be comfortable in a place," said Schlatter in a 2019 interview.
"Some sketches were structured as four-panel moving comic strips, others in a more conventionally staged manner, a scant few in the deep end of abstract surrealism. Little animated banners emblazoned with inflammatory slogans like 'ISRAEL UBER ALLES' occasionally floated across the screen, and interludes of puppetry or stop-motion were liable to punctuate the action. Across all mediums, sex commanded most of the conversation."

The Debut
The show was set to air at prime time on February 5th, 1969. The first episode was to be hosted by Tim Conway (a prolific entertainer by that time, although younger generations most likely know him best for his roles as Dorf or the voice of Barnacle Boy.) Prior to its premier the show was already facing resistance from upper level executives who didn't want it broadcasted, and according to Tim Conway, the show was pulled just 10 minutes into its premier in the Cleveland market due to a large amount of viewers calling in to protest the show's contents. It did not return after it's first commercial break. The rest of the time slot was the network's emergency procedure; a local organist on a never-exercised retainer was then called upon to do his duty, for the first time in 20 years of employment, and filled the remaining airtime with sprightly organ music while the screen remained pitch-black.

Other stations on the ABC network quickly received word of what was going on with Turn On. Several West Coast stations including markets in Denver, Portland (Oregon) and Seattle refused to air it at all. There were attempts to reschedule the airing, and rumblings about trying to continue the series, but by February 10th, a mere 5 days after its premier, the show was officially cancelled. Episode 2 was fully completed, with other episodes well into production, including one rumored to feature The Monkees as guests.

691px-abcturnon-article1.jpg

Critical reception was largely negative. Audiences complained that the show was too visually assaulting and sexually charged. Critics echoed the sentiment and labeled the show a bomb "(T)here wasn't any sort of identification with the audience -- just a bunch of strangers up there insulting everything you believe in."

Yet guest host Tim Conway remembers the show more fondly, stating it was "way ahead of its time."

Very few clips from the show are publicly available, only a few segments from the first episode. Rumor has it you can watch the first two episodes of Turn On at private screenings at the Paley Media Center in New York City. As for material pertaining to the other 11 episodes that were in development, who knows what's left of them or if we'll ever see them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zny4LxAC0C8&ab_channel=haveajam

Concluding Thoughts
One can't help but wonder if Turn On was turned off before it had a proper chance. I think that Tim Conway is absolutely correct in his assessment that the show was ahead of the time. Many of Adult Swim's most popular shows found success in assaulting the viewer with nonsense to point of humorous discomfort, but perhaps the risque subject matter and political messaging was just too much for network television to be comfortable with. But that's assuming there was decent writing and jokes behind the show, and that's hard to tell with so little material available.

What particularly fascinates me about this show is the heavy use of computers in it's production. While the show claims in jest to be "produced by a computer," there was some truth in that given its heavy reliance on a Moog synthesizer soundtrack as well as what appears to be some rather interesting skits that utilized experimental aspects of them, including early computer motion capture (see below.) To continue with the Adult Swim comparisons, it seems as if they wanted to mix in some Off The Air style experimentation. I'm a sucker for early computer art and even if the show's content is truly lackluster, that alone is something I would love to see surface one day.
02-turn-on.w570.h712.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/8FzXL3G0JR0

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Turn On - The TV Show Cancelled Midway Through Its 1st Episode
A Surreal Comedy Series Ahead of its Time?
View attachment 55260
While we are somewhat used to weird television programming thanks largely to Adult Swim (Eric Andre Show, Tim and Eric, Xavier Renegade Angel, etc) 1969 saw an attempt at making a show so bizarre that some described its editing style "visually sickening." A show so risqué and controversial that it has the distinction of being the only show to be cancelled halfway through its first episode airing. It is truly a product of its era, something only a copious amount of LSD use could've inspired. It's a piece of "lost media" I've been wanting to turn up for years now.

Background
Admittedly a lot of this information is stuff I have little context for as it is well before my time, so I'm largely pooling info from Wikipedia.

Following the success of NBC's Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, a critically acclaimed "hippy" comedy sketch show running from 1968-1973, producers Ed Friendly and George Schlatter were sponsored by Bristol-Myers to develop what would become Turn On. The show was provided to ABC for a projected 13-week run and was supposed to be the network's answer to NBC's Laugh-In, which was doing well among the 18-34 year old demographic. Essentially the success of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In appears to have granted Friendly and Schlatter with a high level of artistic freedom.

Premise

The Debut

The show was set to air at prime time on February 5th, 1969. The first episode was to be hosted by Tim Conway (a prolific entertainer by that time, although younger generations most likely know him best for his roles as Dorf or the voice of Barnacle Boy.) Prior to its premier the show was already facing resistance from upper level executives who didn't want it broadcasted, and according to Tim Conway, the show was pulled just 10 minutes into its premier in the Cleveland market due to a large amount of viewers calling in to protest the show's contents. It did not return after it's first commercial break. The rest of the time slot was the network's emergency procedure; a local organist on a never-exercised retainer was then called upon to do his duty, for the first time in 20 years of employment, and filled the remaining airtime with sprightly organ music while the screen remained pitch-black.

Other stations on the ABC network quickly received word of what was going on with Turn On. Several West Coast stations including markets in Denver, Portland (Oregon) and Seattle refused to air it at all. There were attempts to reschedule the airing, and rumblings about trying to continue the series, but by February 10th, a mere 5 days after its premier, the show was officially cancelled. Episode 2 was fully completed, with other episodes well into production, including one rumored to feature The Monkees as guests.

691px-abcturnon-article1.jpg

Critical reception was largely negative. Audiences complained that the show was too visually assaulting and sexually charged. Critics echoed the sentiment and labeled the show a bomb "(T)here wasn't any sort of identification with the audience -- just a bunch of strangers up there insulting everything you believe in."

Yet guest host Tim Conway remembers the show more fondly, stating it was "way ahead of its time."

Very few clips from the show are publicly available, only a few segments from the first episode. Rumor has it you can watch the first two episodes of Turn On at private screenings at the Paley Media Center in New York City. As for material pertaining to the other 11 episodes that were in development, who knows what's left of them or if we'll ever see them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zny4LxAC0C8&ab_channel=haveajam

Concluding Thoughts
One can't help but wonder if Turn On was turned off before it had a proper chance. I think that Tim Conway is absolutely correct in his assessment that the show was ahead of the time. Many of Adult Swim's most popular shows found success in assaulting the viewer with nonsense to point of humorous discomfort, but perhaps the risque subject matter and political messaging was just too much for network television to be comfortable with. But that's assuming there was decent writing and jokes behind the show, and that's hard to tell with so little material available.

What particularly fascinates me about this show is the heavy use of computers in it's production. While the show claims in jest to be "produced by a computer," there was some truth in that given its heavy reliance on a Moog synthesizer soundtrack as well as what appears to be some rather interesting skits that utilized experimental aspects of them, including early computer motion capture (see below.) To continue with the Adult Swim comparisons, it seems as if they wanted to mix in some Off The Air style experimentation. I'm a sucker for early computer art and even if the show's content is truly lackluster, that alone is something I would love to see surface one day.
View attachment 55264
View: https://youtu.be/8FzXL3G0JR0

For those curious, episode one of Turn On was recently shared with the public.

View: https://archive.org/details/turn-on-episode-1

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
For those curious, episode one of Turn On was recently shared with the public.

View: https://archive.org/details/turn-on-episode-1

Fascinating, but not that funny (I did laugh at some of the jokes.) The fact that people in 1969 were outraged over the jump cuts, political commentary, and sex jokes (the most explicit it gets is the word "sex" being shown on screen for several minutes) shows how much things have changed since then.
I absolutely loved the overall style of the show, though. It's like a real-life version of the "future TV" you see in 60s-70s sci-fi.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Fascinating, but not that funny (I did laugh at some of the jokes.) The fact that people in 1969 were outraged over the jump cuts, political commentary, and sex jokes (the most explicit it gets is the word "sex" being shown on screen for several minutes) shows how much things have changed since then.
I absolutely loved the overall style of the show, though. It's like a real-life version of the "future TV" you see in 60s-70s sci-fi.
I only had a chance to watch the first 10 minutes so far, the joke about South Vietnam's capitol being in some swiss bank account was pretty funny but the rest is just whatever or kinda lame.
You ever seen the Star Wars holiday special? Because you're right this looks like one of the shows they would've put on there lol. This show's style is just as chaotic as some of the TikToks out there. Idk if them being sponsored by a migraine pharmaceutical was a deliberate joke or not but it's certainly fitting.
Episode 2 was released too if you're interested.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I only had a chance to watch the first 10 minutes so far, the joke about South Vietnam's capitol being in some swiss bank account was pretty funny but the rest is just whatever or kinda lame.
You ever seen the Star Wars holiday special? Because you're right this looks like one of the shows they would've put on there lol. This show's style is just as chaotic as some of the TikToks out there. Idk if them being sponsored by a migraine pharmaceutical was a deliberate joke or not but it's certainly fitting.
Episode 2 was released too if you're interested.
Link it

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I'm almost disappointed it's online. I was semi-planning out a visit to the NY Museum
I'd say it's still worth the visit just for the exhibits alone. Their collection is huge and there's probably neat stuff strewn about the archives not even on anyone's radar.

Virtual Cafe Awards