What are some of your favorite Halloween movies/shows?

• Thread starter Shrug
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3699 times.

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
It's that spooky time of year again! What are some of your favorite movies or shows to watch to get into that comfy autumn vibe? I really like Over the Garden Wall.

Attachments

• a7e45af36625b8900e63c51d0ec925749c-over-the-garden-wall.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg
    a7e45af36625b8900e63c51d0ec925749c-over-the-garden-wall.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 6,436
Virtual Cafe Awards

Away

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Blair Witch Project is my go-to classic. The woods in that movie are exactly like the woods behind the house from my childhood.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sultana

⌰⍜⍙ ⏁⟟⟒⍀ ⏃⌰⟟⟒⋏
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sultana

⌰⍜⍙ ⏁⟟⟒⍀ ⏃⌰⟟⟒⋏
Reaction score
Awards
Cinemassacre did a review on the Halloween movie some years ago, and towards the end, James talked about a tradition he liked to do. He would put the classic Halloween movie when kids were still trick or treating, and when the time the movie ended, he would go outside and see that the streets had been emptied. The whole idea is to watch it while theres people outside, and try to time it up so that when it ends, so does the mass amount of people outside. James later said that he did this so that when he comes outside, it feels as if he's in the movie, with the whole lack of ambience is meant to scare you. I couldn't find the video where he said this tho.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sultana

⌰⍜⍙ ⏁⟟⟒⍀ ⏃⌰⟟⟒⋏
Reaction score
Awards
Cinemassacre did a review on the Halloween movie some years ago, and towards the end, James talked about a tradition he liked to do. He would put the classic Halloween movie when kids were still trick or treating, and when the time the movie ended, he would go outside and see that the streets had been emptied. The whole idea is to watch it while theres people outside, and try to time it up so that when it ends, so does the mass amount of people outside. James later said that he did this so that when he comes outside, it feels as if he's in the movie, with the whole lack of ambience is meant to scare you. I couldn't find the video where he said this tho.
i've been trying to do this ever since i heard of it

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

My favorite that people may not have seen already is Ghostwatch, a very early found-footage horror film aired by BBC on Halloween night 1992 as a War of the Worlds-type hoax report. It's hard to overstate how controversial it was when it came out. It really frightened a lot of people, and the makers were accused of having caused PTSD among children and in one case contributing to a suicide. The film was subsequently banned and has spent most of its time in distribution purgatory. Watching it now it's pretty tame and actually rather cozy, but you can imagine how shocking it would be if presented as an actual news report to people with no exposure to this sort of horror film. It's very well-written and quite funny at times with some genuine chills, and it really transports you to the 1990s UK. It's hard to find legally but there is one very easy way to see it, of course.

Also, Hocus Pocus is obligatory

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
It's that spooky time of year again! What are some of your favorite movies or shows to watch to get into that comfy autumn vibe? I really like Over the Garden Wall.
Gonna watch the entire fear street trilogy

Virtual Cafe Awards

Away

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
That's a childhood classic for me, and it really does still hold up.
What a throwback! I remember the next few movies being pretty good too. I've watched Zombie Island more times than I can count

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards

My favorite that people may not have seen already is Ghostwatch, a very early found-footage horror film aired by BBC on Halloween night 1992 as a War of the Worlds-type hoax report. It's hard to overstate how controversial it was when it came out. It really frightened a lot of people, and the makers were accused of having caused PTSD among children and in one case contributing to a suicide. The film was subsequently banned and has spent most of its time in distribution purgatory. Watching it now it's pretty tame and actually rather cozy, but you can imagine how shocking it would be if presented as an actual news report to people with no exposure to this sort of horror film. It's very well-written and quite funny at times with some genuine chills, and it really transports you to the 1990s UK. It's hard to find legally but there is one very easy way to see it, of course.

Also, Hocus Pocus is obligatory

It's really funny to me how something that seemed so terrifying back then is so tame nowadays. Are we so desensitized? We really need some fucked up stuff to scare us now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's really funny to me how something that seemed so terrifying back then is so tame nowadays. Are we so desensitized? We really need some fucked up stuff to scare us now.
Yeah, I think the internet created this kind of cultural saturation that makes it way more difficult to experience a strong emotional reaction to any kind of art or media, especially if you used it from a young age. It's just too much noise and you start to tune stuff out by necessity and assume things are fake until proven otherwise

Virtual Cafe Awards

stanek

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
while it doesn't exactly shout "I am a Halloween-season movie," Scanners by Cronenberg is one of my favorite horror movies for personal reasons. it has 'soul', as they say

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I watched a ton of Koreans horror movies recently and while not being halloween movies they've definitely actived my spooky season mode early. The wailing was great. I think pulse would be a good Halloween atmosphere movie tho. Has some real unique spooks and atmosphere

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
No movies or shows but I always replay Castlevania games around this time of year.

Virtual Cafe Awards