What are you currently reading?

Currently rereading the Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien and also Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. I love reading Tolkien books when I'm depressed and have found much comfort in the Silmarillion these days. I picked up Flow because I've been interested in learning about utilizing it more outside of work environments, as well as surfing environments.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kenshiro

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm currently reading Contrarian investment strategies and Eugene Onegin by pushkin

Virtual Cafe Awards

Denisthemenace

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Rn I'm in the process of reading two books, one being a libertarian walks in to a bear by Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling, the book is a documentation about the Freetown project started in Grafton, New Hampshire during the early 00's gaining its popularity through early libertarian message boards. Aside from the flocks of libertarians moving to the town there was another problem that the citizens were faced with which was a rising bear population.

The second book I'm reading rn is called Blitzed by Norman Ohler, the book is about the drug use in Nazi Germany. Talking about the benefits and negatives that came along with the Germans drug induced world take over. Touching on aspects like how kamikaze pilots were all on n-methylphenethylamine when they flew their planes or how at a point amphetamines became so normalized in Germany everyone was using speed from troops to factory works to professors and doctors.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

This was my experience with Gravity's Rainbow. After reaching a point with two characters are speaking in a room, it zooms deep in on the woman's eye, where the story of her family history up to perhistoric times unfolds, which then takes you into a long segment about the extinction of dodo's in an ancienter period, then back to the conversation in the room we left off at, I had to take a break.

That's Pynchon alright. I understood maybe like 40% of GR but continued reading anyway because of the language. He's an amazing stylist. Just the writing takes getting used to...

grouse

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
20k leagues under the sea, brushing up on the classics

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Decided to pick this up a while after finishing No Country for Old Men. The book is incredibly dark and genuinely black-pilling but it's excellent! I love his prose so much even if it's a bit hard to follow, you really get the sense that the characters are going in a journey through hell. I've not been able to figure out it's main theme yet but it seems to me like a novel about how being unable to control our fates turns humanity to violence, perhaps because we do not wish to be understood and vulnerable to anyone, because being witnessed in this way takes our free-will away. Yet if God exists then he is an universal witness and so the only thing that remains to do is be quiet and listen to his voice (Whatever that is)

I'm halfway through the book so maybe this interpretation is way off.

Then Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. This novel is... Really something else. I've been enjoying it so far, but getting worried how far will I go in this 1200 page book. I really like some of the meta-modern ideas that he presents but I can't help but feeling a bit lost in some chapters of the book, but apparently this is a very common sentiment when first reading it, even if I'm using a guide.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
The Heike Monogatari (aka The Heike Saga), which is about the Genpei War in feudal Japan and the clashes between the Taira and Minamoto clans
Is pretty good. I might read the prose version at some point but I kinda like the awkward English translation of the original, it has a strange charm to it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts. Very quick to read and fascinating, one of those books that takes a cross-section of the world (here, the AIDS crisis) and weaves all the little footnotes and fragments and memories together into something whole.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Almost finished with The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo. It's a 1958 Japanese novel about the doctors and nurses who took part in vivisections of American POWs in Fukuoka towards the end of World War II. It portrays the ways moral corruption happens invisibly to basically good people over a lifetime, and takes the view that many seemingly ordinary people, maybe most people, are teetering on the edge of an abyss and would commit atrocities if only external factors pressured them slightly. It's a deeply sad and disturbing novel, but at its core very compassionate. Endo was a Japanese Catholic, and has a really unique perspective-- I'd recommend his work to everyone but it's particularly interesting if you're a Christian. Silence is a better novel to start with than The Sea and Poison for someone new to him, though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

VaporQuake

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm currently breezing through the "So I'm a spider, so what?" series by Baba Okina. Absolute trash, but in a good way. It's reminded me about how I used to be to pound through translated fantasy as a teenager. I thought I had become a slower reader, but it turns out what I normally read nowadays is more complicated.
That's some really good insight, I would never have thought of that perspective. But now that I think about it I definitely resonate with this.

Virtual Cafe Awards

chrome

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I just finished Gulag Archipelago, which was alright. It seemed to really drag on and I only had the abridged edition.

I've only finished a handful of books since high school, but I'm trying to get into the habit of reading daily. I feel like there are tons of classics I should read, but not really sure where to start. I was thinking of either Meditations or The Republic next.

Virtual Cafe Awards

hyprstorm

devils advocate
Reaction score
Awards
Currently reading Hitchcock/Truffaut. It's a good book compiling interviews of Alfred Hitchcock by an interviewer named Truffaut.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I just finished Gulag Archipelago, which was alright. It seemed to really drag on and I only had the abridged edition.

I've only finished a handful of books since high school, but I'm trying to get into the habit of reading daily. I feel like there are tons of classics I should read, but not really sure where to start. I was thinking of either Meditations or The Republic next.
If you want to knock out some of the big classics, Moby Dick rules and is way easier to read than people think. It's really fucking funny and deeply moving, and the "whale facts" chapters some people hate are extremely entertaining and some of my favorite parts of the whole book. It's complex enough that you can study it for your whole life, but it's a gripping, exciting and emotional narrative even if you're just reading for the story and not spending time to really analyze it (although you'll probably get so invested you'll spend a lot of time contemplating it anyway). It's one of my favorite books of all time and people are too intimidated by it IMO

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I just started The Wrestler's Cruel Study by Stephen Dobyns. It's a lengthy, truly weird comedy from 1993 about a pro wrestler whose fiancée is kidnapped by actual gorillas, his Nietzche-obsessed manager who believes professional wrestling is a form of sacred violence that uplifts and actualizes human beings, a seemingly magical coin and the people whose lives it upends, and Gnosticism. I'm having a ball with it so far, can't recommend it enough. Reminds me of Confederacy of Dunces a bit although it's a lot more out-there

Attachments

• A119BA9C-9780-41EA-B4C1-79227E0249DF.jpeg
    A119BA9C-9780-41EA-B4C1-79227E0249DF.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 197BD270-4DC6-45ED-9740-76559E392432.jpeg
    197BD270-4DC6-45ED-9740-76559E392432.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 73
  • D406D844-510C-4D2C-ABF2-6FFE38454488.jpeg
    D406D844-510C-4D2C-ABF2-6FFE38454488.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 80
Virtual Cafe Awards

TigrEncounter

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Just like the threads we have for music & video games, what books are you currently reading?

I'm currently reading Everyday Chaos by Brian Clegg. Kind of a popcorn book, pretty sparse on any deeper understanding of the topics at hand, but sometimes it's fun & can lead your thoughts into new directions to "take a step back" & look at the world from a bird's eye perspective before going back to being enmeshed in details. Very beautiful design too, one of the most beautifully put together books I've ever picked up.
I found a pretty hefty book titled "Karate". It pretty much tells the origins and philosophy of the martial art and it's sub-styles, and even some instructions about basic techniques. Reading about buddhism and the philosophy of Zen and Nirvana is pretty fascinating.

Virtual Cafe Awards