What are you currently reading?

obedientsuperboy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I am currently reading Conspiracies and Secret Societies: The Complete Dossier by Brad Steiger and Sherry Steiger, I found it on some 4chan mega.nz download and its a great read, lots of stories

If anybody wants a pdf ill make a link for you :))))

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Hypet-Leathel
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.halopedia.org

Attachments

• 91+WUyhoy0L.jpg
    91+WUyhoy0L.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
Virtual Cafe Awards

Insect

The Underking
Reaction score
Awards
I am reading Gravity's Rainbow, and I really kinda like it. The story is surrounded by so many historical references it has a feeling of authenticity. It also reminds me of N.G.E. but I can't really comment on that because I haven't finished the book yet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
It also reminds me of N.G.E.
How so? I've heard this comparison made multiple times and I still don't get it. They both use Gnostic/esoteric imagery, and Katje is kind of like Rei, but for me the similarities stop there.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SplitMindTF2

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The Fraternitas Saturni by Stephen E. Flowers, one of the most comprehensive english books on the Fraternitas Saturni.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I'm about halfway through Sartor Resartus by Thomas Carlyle. It's really good so far - a semi-humorous introduction to German idealism for an English-speaking audience, framed as a commentary on a fictional book on the philosophy of clothes by a fictional German philosopher. Carlyle is famous for writing difficult prose, and I've had to go back and re-read sections to understand what he was talking about, but overall it's a very fun (and thought-provoking) book to read. His style reminds me a lot of Herman Melville, who I'm a big fan of.
Thomas Carlyle said:
He who first shortened the labor of Copyists by device of Movable Types was disbanding hired Armies, and cashiering most Kings and Senates, and creating a whole new Democratic world; he had invented the Art of Printing. The first ground handful of Nitre, Sulphur, and Charcoal drove Monk Schwartz's pestle through the ceiling: what will the last do? Achieve the final undisputed prostration of Force under Thought, of Animal Courage under Spiritual.
Thomas Carlyle said:
The Journalists are now the true Kings and Clergy; henceforth Historians, unless they are fools, must write not of Bourbon Dynasties, and Tudors and Hapsburgs; but of Stamped Broad-sheet Dynasties, and quite new successive Names, according as this or the other Able Editor, or Combination of Able Editors, gains the world's ear. Of the British Newspaper Press, perhaps the most important of all, and wonderful enough in its secret constitution and procedure, a valuable descriptive History already exists, in that language, under the title of Satan's Invisible World Displayed...
Thomas Carlyle said:
Between vague wavering Capability and fixed indubitable Performance, what a difference! A certain inarticulate Self-consciousness dwells dimly in us; which only our Works can render articulate and decisively discernible. Our Works are the mirror wherein the spirit first sees its natural lineaments. Hence, too, the folly of that impossible Precept, Know thyself; till it be translated into the partially possible one, Know what thou canst work at.
Thomas Carlyle said:
O thou who art able to write a Book, which once in the two centuries or oftener there is a man gifted to do, envy not him whom they name Conqueror or City-burner! Thou too art a Conqueror and Victor; but of the true sort, namely over the Devil...

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Read a bunch of stuff since my last post in this thread but nothing much worth mentioning, until last week when I found an old PDF of Thief of Time, which I proceeded to read through completely. Then I read Small Gods, then Interesting Times, then Going Postal, then Guards! Guards!
All within a week, since I found them so good. Very recommended
Thief-of-time.jpg
Small-gods-cover.jpg
Interesting-times-cover.jpg
Guards-Guards-cover.jpg
Discworld_Postal.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Currently reading Cormac's Border Trilogy. And it has been a delight like most of Cormac's work (Except for you Orchard Keeper)

It's like Don Quixote but with cowboys. I like how the MC is a dude living in the 1950s that hates that the cowboy life is now gone so he escapes to Mexico to larp as a cowboy gringo. Unlike Don Quixote he gets the gf but it's got this really nice theme about how fantasy shapes reality. Sadly I've been really slow reading this, Infinite Jest took like me like 3 months, this is of a similar lenght, but I doubt I'll be able to finish this faster lol

F463CA12-157D-4DC3-9498-5997462443B7.jpeg

And also this so bad its good yuri lightnovel about a wagie who gets isekaided into the visual novel she's addicted to and get's to live her fanfiction fantasies with the antagonist of the game, whom she tries to romance. I like how the cover of the second volume spoils the shit out of everything cause fuck you. But not like I expected anything unexpected to happen in this series of books. The third volume features them with two children. I'm not ready to know how the fuck that happens bros...

Yeah it's kinda sad that I'm so autistic about it, but it's so bad and has some really depressing assumptions. I'll probably make a post about it once I finish cause I wanna talk about it so much, like unironically I highkey want to write a response/satire novel about this series one day.

One of those depressing assumptions the novels has is for example, how the wagie gets transported in this videogame fantasy world and shes immediately full onboard with the idea. Like she doesn't even misses her parents, family, work friends, country, culture, religion, nope she doesn't give two shits about that cause she gets to share time with her 2D personality-and-body-wise tsundere waifu. Like that's such a depressing view on human life. Yeah, there's literally no reason to miss real life. I understand this was written for 13-year-olds and so I'm overthinking but still...

69B3DACC-8EBC-4475-89CE-AA48D8EE595F.jpeg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Read a bunch of stuff since my last post in this thread but nothing much worth mentioning, until last week when I found an old PDF of Thief of Time, which I proceeded to read through completely. Then I read Small Gods, then Interesting Times, then Going Postal, then Guards! Guards!
All within a week, since I found them so good. Very recommended
I absolutely love Terry Pratchet, if I was to suggest a way of reading in some kind of order, pick a group of characters (eg: the witches, the guardsmen, the unseen University, Death) and read those books in chronological order. Then move to a new set of characters. That way you can get some character development and continuity and its very satisfying.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I finished Legend by Iskender Pala. I am thinking about reading a book called sections from turkish culture for children of turkish workers. It is written by turkish education department before milennium soo it is one of the artifacts of the good ol' days where government didn't hate the very idea of a nation. It doesn't have a translation as always. I somethimes think i should just start doing translations because there are soo many good books that aren't readen because turks don't read books but they would be quite precious if they had a larger auidance.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
One of those depressing assumptions the novels has is for example, how the wagie gets transported in this videogame fantasy world and shes immediately full onboard with the idea. Like she doesn't even misses her parents, family, work friends, country, culture, religion, nope she doesn't give two shits about that cause she gets to share time with her 2D personality-and-body-wise tsundere waifu. Like that's such a depressing view on human life. Yeah, there's literally no reason to miss real life.
Is this your first light novel? I've read so many of those (like 100+) and of the ones that are isekai, only the minority ever miss their world (and most of those make a bowl of rice and crack a raw egg on top with soy sauce to satisfy all their homesickness)

And that's kind of the point of isekai, to present a fantasy for the reader too, so it has be to much better than the real world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
One of those depressing assumptions the novels has is for example, how the wagie gets transported in this videogame fantasy world and shes immediately full onboard with the idea. Like she doesn't even misses her parents, family, work friends, country, culture, religion, nope she doesn't give two shits about that cause she gets to share time with her 2D personality-and-body-wise tsundere waifu. Like that's such a depressing view on human life. Yeah, there's literally no reason to miss real life. I understand this was written for 13-year-olds and so I'm overthinking but still...
If you're looking for one that doesn't do this, I recommend one of my favorites, "Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai". It starts off seemingly generic with the usual small twist that the protagonist has god-like powers right at the start rather than having to work his way up to it by defeating the armies of the demon lord, but spirals into an absolutely fascinating Intrigue plotline concerning the protagonist's origin, the nature of his powers, and what the isekai world really is. It constantly made me question what was really going on, and more than that, it suggested that there was some real gravity behind all of it. Even side storylines like with the Rembrandt company end up with an impressive amount of depth, secrecy, and intrigue, with really compelling character development. I can't recommend it enough.

Virtual Cafe Awards