What are you currently reading?

nocturne

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Do you guys have any book recommendations? Are you reading something interesting/unique?

I recently finished reading some Murakami short stories (his First Person Singular collection), and I really enjoyed that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
Do you guys have any book recommendations? Are you reading something interesting/unique?

I recently finished reading some Murakami short stories (his First Person Singular collection), and I really enjoyed that.
I'm currently catching up on my backlog of books I bought but never got around to reading, right now I'm reading Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. It's basically just Orwell (the author of 1984 and animal farm) recounting his time spent fighting in the Spanish civil war in the 1930's. It's pretty good if you like history or Orwell's fictional works, it explores a lesser known historical event and he does a good job providing insight into what it was like in Spain during that time and what he noticed as a foreigner.

After this I plan on reading Inferno by Dante since I own it already but never read it.

Attachments

• 83B63FDC-07E7-426A-88FE-23EE3A29ECCD.jpeg
    83B63FDC-07E7-426A-88FE-23EE3A29ECCD.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 53
Virtual Cafe Awards

jdnt

happy 1992!
Reaction score
Awards
I just finished reading The Mastermind by Evan Ratliff. Its about a real-life online criminal kingpin named Paul Le Roux and how he built up an empire selling prescription drugs online, but became obsessed with money/power and started smuggling drugs, weapons, etc. and how he was taken down by the feds. Very interesting stuff, the journalism is top notch. Its one of those stories that seems too much like a movie to be true, but it is. You can read some of it here https://magazine.atavist.com/the-mastermind/

Otherwise I also am trying to finish off Lolita. A bit of a slog since its one of those books I need to be in the mood for, but I always enjoy myself when I get around to reading it. Nabokov is an incredibly poetic writer and I am insanely jealous of his talent.

I love Murakami, Norwegian Wood is a near-perfect novel.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Screen.Thief

Agora Road Beachcomber
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
I just finished reading War of The World by H.G Wells. It's an oldie but Goldie when it comes to science fiction. But currently! Im reading The Road by Jack Kerouac; many people claim it's changed their perspective on life, namely a lot of rockstars in the 70's & 80's said the book was very relatable to their life style, even though it takes place in the 40's. So far a great book though

Virtual Cafe Awards

nocturne

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I just finished reading War of The World by H.G Wells. It's an oldie but Goldie when it comes to science fiction. But currently! Im reading The Road by Jack Kerouac; many people claim it's changed their perspective on life, namely a lot of rockstars in the 70's & 80's said the book was very relatable to their life style, even though it takes place in the 40's. So far a great book though
I started reading The Road a while back but bounced off it for some reason. I should probably pick it up again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
The Castle by Kafka. I have read his short stories before, but this is the first time I have read any of his longer works.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Re-read "E Unibus Pluram" this morning. Its def worth a read if you have checked it out, maybe more for nostalgia than anything else.

E Unibus Pluram

there it is, also it is contained in the book A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again if you want to go about getting yrself a copy. Many good essays in that one.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
1E8B538E-FF52-471C-A03C-E5A0C0F893FC.jpeg

I'm finally getting around to finishing Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. I found this vintage copy awhile back and I read like 50% of it and got distracted by another book. The first half was superb I just gotta grind out the rest lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
View attachment 37704
I'm finally getting around to finishing Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. I found this vintage copy awhile back and I read like 50% of it and got distracted by another book. The first half was superb I just gotta grind out the rest lol.
Steppenwolf is an underrated book. Too many people seem to think it's an endorsement of the main character's gloomy attitude when in fact it's the complete opposite. I was surprised by how funny it was, especially the parts where Goethe and Mozart show up and make fun of Haller for being a depressive drama queen. Hesse's writing can be a little simplistic at times but the message is always good, and he's definitely not the doom and gloomer some people make him out to be.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NETCOM

Banned from Jailbreak
Reaction score
Awards
I should be catching up on my backlog, but I'm back to re-reading Lord of Light by Zelazny. I found a really good copy of it at my local bookstore, which is why I got the sudden urge. (Not super important, but I love going to that bookstore since the guy who owns it just repurposed his house. You can find a lot of the philosophy books stuffed in the oven, it's really funny.)

I really enjoy it, you can tell Zelazny fell in love with the Hindu myth, so the main character takes the role of a more reluctant hero, and much of the mythology of it is inspired by Hinduism. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a sci-fi read, but I'd strongly suggest giving it multiple reads to let it all sink in.