What Are Your Comfort Games?

Dinny

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
sakana.neocities.org
Stardew Valley, but I'll go back and play farming sims I played when I was younger too even if they're much more limited and clunky! I grew up with Harvest Moon 64 and Friends of Mineral Town, so those titles are nostalgic. I also like Harvest Moon DS Cute and Rune Factory 3.

Ragnarok Online is also a fluffy nostalgia blanket and way back in the day I played on the official iRO servers and then on a good low rate private server for a while. But I've accepted I will probably never play this again and it will remain a nice memory, because present day private servers are just kind of a mess - they'll pop up like daisies and then die soon after, they're all 1000x rate and people hit the level cap in a couple of days and just spend their days using it as a glorified chatroom while doing occasional PvP.

Diablo 2, .hack//IMOQ, Chrono Trigger, Ultima Online
Diablo 2 Resurrected lately, they did a good job with it and I personally love it on the switch, exactly what I wanted back in 2000! The original .hack// series has always held a special place in my heart, i bought them as they came out and I used to imagine being in the world a bunch when I was in early high school. Chrono Trigger is just so awesome. Ultima Online was my first true love in video games and Ill still come back to it from time to time (private pre-aos shards).

I'm glad someone else mentioned Ultima Online! But I would personally put it in the same basket with Ragnarok Online up there - I've tried a few shards over the years and none of them compared to the experience of playing the original game, so I think it will stay a memory. The few private servers I tried were really funny, basically 100% population of really nice middle-aged housewives who spent a lot of the time chatting and playing interior designer.

狐 Shrine

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I always find myself going back to roguelikes (RoR 1&2/ Noita) and mystery dungeons (Shiren the wanderer/ Explorers of Sky). Something that I can just turn my brain off and relax while playing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

jellobyte

I Like It Just Right
Reaction score
Awards
Website
jellobyte.neocities.org
Magic Pengel on PS2 has been my go-to since I was little. I think it was co-developed by Ghibli so it has that feel to it. kinda plays like Pokemon in the way it's very simple turn-based fights but if you draw and create your own pokemon. One of the most ignored games I've ever seen though. It bothers me how little people know about it.

iu

Pajama Sam (Espically the third one), Diner Dash, Emily: Delicious, (any and many Gamehouse games), Stardew Valley, Broken Age, BOTW, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, Animal Crossing (I played the first happy home when it came out on 3DS), and FF15 (have a weakness for cheesy dialogue and friendship)
I could easily put Persona 5 on here if I played it more often
I played Minecraft when I was in a pretty low place, and it helped so I guess that counts...
OH OH OH! and Spongebob employee of the month, and the PC ISpy games (especially the fantasy and haunted house one)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

toyotawave

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Ostriv, nice and quiet Ukrainian village builder/management game. Lately I've been playing Fisher Online which will probably become one of my main comfort games. Good learning curve, quiet, lots of maps and good selection of equipment.

Virtual Cafe Awards

DeathToMicroWaves

Are you being held hostage by a spider?
Reaction score
Awards
I would like to say Rimworld but having my colony wiped out by a manhunting rat in the first 10 min isn't exactly comforting

Virtual Cafe Awards

theshredneckcsr

Metal E. Leetist
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

quick

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
BF2 modded to have 100+ bots and longer view distances. This + the AIX 2 mod usually does it for me

flaskSheaf

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The Binding of Isaac has always been a go-to for me. I used to also keep TF2 and CSGO in the rotation, but I play video games far less than I used to and at this point I don't have the skill to enjoy them fully. If I have a day to kill I like to play through the first Final Fantasy with a new party configuration.

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Rn the ECCO the Dolphin games are completely consuming all my time rn. Such a relaxing game although i gotta play with a walkthrough to get thru it cuz some of the puxzzles are insanely difficult
I've always been fascinated with the aesthetics of this series, with all the vaporwave videos and whatnot using a lot of the imagery. Never got around to playing it because I can't recall anyone actually praising the games itself.

Virtual Cafe Awards

god_is_bread

Camus' impersonator
Reaction score
Awards
Plants vs. zombies was my childhood game. I vividly remember being like, six years old, and my dad would play the game (disclaimer: my dad isn't and wasn't ever a gamer, he does not enjoy video games a lot with the exception of some strategy game titles he used to play when he was younger, like age of empires or total war, he just kept me occupied with the game and we had a fun time) and then around that age it was the first "real" game that I laid my hands on, and I guess it would suffice to say I've finished the game five to six times since, along with all the puzzles and mini games and at one point having all the achievements. Although I consider it a great and atmospheric game, ig it is mostly nostalgia that draws me back to it. I've finished both pvz2 and pvz heroes on mobile, but they just don't capture the magic of the first game to me. I revisit any of the three titles from time to time, when the times are bad ig.