What are your Internet pet peeves?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
For me is those news sites that make you pay their subscription service just to read an article. My city's news website does that and they don't even write original articles. Most of the time I can just search their titles on Google and find the same article on 4 or 5 different sites.

Also youtube intros that are too long

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Similarly, youtube intros that are just really loud, shitty dubstep.

Also, people who excessively use acronyms.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ABSTRACT-TRAGEDY

どこにいても、あなたが私について考えていることを願っています。
Reaction score
Awards
Website
rateyourmusic.com
psuedointellectuals bitching about feminism

Virtual Cafe Awards

Isaac_Ascii

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The need of registration everywhere and having an account for everything.

Virtual Cafe Awards
In no particular order:

. People using wrong tags for content for the sake of exposure
. Cancel culture
. Websites with lack of customization outside a profile picture and a banner
. Websites demanding my phone number and email
. Fucking cookies
. Condescending behavior from people during chill conversations
. Websites and games demanding I have a Facebook account
. Kids on the internet
. Corporations abusing copyright
. Individuals stealing content
. Corporations stealing content
. Fucking hackers
. MMOSG services without in-game currency
. SJW mobs/ Internet Goblins
. the FBI
. the FCC
. Dubai
. Clickbait tabloids masquerading as official news outlets
. Fake news
. Bible thumpers
. tarot accounts and services
. calls to action too often in videos
. inorganic search results fueled by bribery
. single purchase software and services becoming subscription model dependent
. >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk
. Pedofiles
. psychopaths
. anti-movements
. boycotts
. MGTOW
et al. I could go on, this is getting too long.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am constantly and consistently annoyed by the shitty design of the modern web.

I hate how every site, including professional sites, have changed their identity to be "simpler and more fun", even sites for doing administration or power-user tasks. Nothing presents itself as basic and functional anymore, they always have to be "super fun", so they fill themselves with animations and illustrations. Many sites used to show a bunch of information in rows that was easy to read, and modify in bulk, where all the main functions were available in a toolbar or a menu. Now, those simple and straightforward and powerful lists have been replaced with these big clunky buttons labelled "do stuff" and they all load pages that say cute little phrases like "lets go!" and "getting things ready!" with illustrations of cute cats riding bicycles, meanwhile the useful functionality no longer exists. I have seen "item lists" on professional websites that contain 5 items - I'm trying to manage hundreds of items and they are giving me no tools to work with! And it's not like the bigger list items convey more information, there's just a lot of empty, wasted space. But hey, it's more "fun" I guess. This is mostly annoying for power-users needing to do power-user tasks, but It still annoys me when normie sites like >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk and twitter do it to. I don't use >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, but I used to, and I remember when they switched over to the "new style". The old >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk frontpage (still available at old.reddit.com) is quite functional for what it is. It displays a relatively straightforward list of 25 articles, and a next page button. It could still be more efficient but it's not too bad. Of course that wasn't anywhere near fun enough, it barely "pops" and there's no alegria art, so of course it needed a redesign. So they made new >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, which is.....completely unusable, and it takes me scrolling very far down to see 25 articles which used to all be on one page. Worse, because you now need to scroll endlessly to actually see any content, they compensate for it by using infinite scrolling. Infinite scrolling sucks on all webpages. If you're a web designer and you're thinking of implementing infinite scrolling, don't. All web designers who implement infinite scrolling should be fired and permanently disbarred from the software industry. Just give me pages. At least with pages, all the content is loaded at once and won't move around at random as new stuff loads in, while often with infinite scrolling content will jump around and shift as new stuff is loaded, which is ridiculous as it makes me lose my place when I'm reading something. Worse, often loading a few new posts for some inexplicable reason takes significantly longer than just loading a new page would. If I need to find a post that was from a few days ago, I can't just look at page 4 or 5 and look at post dates in the title to try and narrow down where it might be, my only choice is to scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll, until I hopefully find it among an endless sea of crap, meanwhile the page is running slower and slower and using more and more memory.

Infinite Scrolling is the worst invention of the internet. It needs to stop.