What commercials from the 90's scared you as a kid?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
For me it was that Nickelodeon commercial that plays every morning. They were breakfast characters i think one was a spoon, pancake and bacon. And they would sing too. Omg it was so creepy to me.

Oh shit I found it,
Yea fuck this commercial, its the devil >x< >x<

View: https://youtu.be/0AYJKGdLvHg

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if anyone remembers the one ad for pokemon red and blue (I think) where a bus driver kidnaps a bunch of pokemon and just crushes them while they're in a bus and a gameboy with pokemon red and blue comes out. What the hell.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCd8QjxapXA

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if anyone remembers the one ad for pokemon red and blue (I think) where a bus driver kidnaps a bunch of pokemon and just crushes them while they're in a bus and a gameboy with pokemon red and blue comes out. What the hell.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCd8QjxapXA

Wow thats so weird. How did the marketing department come up with that commercial :confused:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

Wow thats so weird. How did the marketing department come up with that commercial :confused:
Well, it certainly wasn't with the approval of TPC. They LOATHED that advert! More than likely, it was some ad agency who was told to "come up with something edgy" by NOA's marketing department, and since Pokemon wasn't the God Of All Media Franchises at that point, the Company didn't have the ability to object (mainly because, at that point, The Pokemon Co. didn't even exist yet).

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
Well, it certainly wasn't with the approval of TPC. They LOATHED that advert! More than likely, it was some ad agency who was told to "come up with something edgy" by NOA's marketing department, and since Pokemon wasn't the God Of All Media Franchises at that point, the Company didn't have the ability to object (mainly because, at that point, The Pokemon Co. didn't even exist yet).
All the pokemon adverts for the Gameboy and Gameboy Color were so weird and campy. It also makes me really nostalgic right now (grew up with pokemon anime and stuff) Makes me wonder what TPC would've wanted during the 90's.

Virtual Cafe Awards

TheRavenfreak

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I loved that Pokemon commercial! xD I was 8 when Pokemon Red/Blue came out. Anyways this commercial would freak me out as a kid. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and begging my parents to turn the channel if it came on or mute the tv. I don't think this is a 90's commercial, but rather a 80's commercial but it was definitely airing in 1994 when I was 4.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHm8MeNzadQ

Deleted member 795

All the pokemon adverts for the Gameboy and Gameboy Color were so weird and campy. It also makes me really nostalgic right now (grew up with pokemon anime and stuff) Makes me wonder what TPC would've wanted during the 90's.

I can answer that: SURVIVAL! Fact is, Pokemon was supposed to be this massive FLOP, so Nintendo put it on the GameBoy...which, in 1995, was considered by them to be at "end-of-life", so if Pokemon failed, no biggie.

However...well, the rest is history now. But even while it was blowing up, the various bits of what would become TPC were frantically scrambling because this was not supposed to happen. It really wasn't until around 2001 when they were able to really wrap their heads around what in the hell they'd unleashed, and it was around then that the "50 year plan" was formulated. And not long after that was Junichi Masuda's "meeting under the desks", where in order to get the staff to comprehend the concept of mythos creation, he killed the office lights, lit up candles, and had everyone hide under their desks like cavepeople as he began to spin the entire cosmological yarn that begins with Diamond and Pearl, an arc that we're actually still on (even though it might not look like it sometimes).